Join Early Retirement Today

Early SS
Old 03-03-2006, 06:54 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Early SS

A non working wife would normally receive one half of the husbands social security award. If, for example, the husband got $1000, the wife would get $500. This is considering that the husband retired at 65 or 66 whatever his date works out to be.

If however the husband were to retire early, at 62, the amount his wife would get would not be one half of his award but only about 33 % of whatever he would get.

This is what I am learning from a new book called, "Retire Early, Make the Smart Choices"

Is this the way you understand it?

boont
boont is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Early SS
Old 03-03-2006, 07:00 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by boont
I don't know the numbers, but here's a similar Bud Hebeler article on Social Security widows who wish their spouses had waited longer to start their benefits.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 07:37 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
A non working wife would normally receive one half of the husbands social security award.... This is considering that the husband retired at 65 or 66 whatever his date works out to be.

If however the husband were to retire early, at 62, the amount his wife would get would not be one half of his award but only about 33 % of whatever he would get.

I'm not familiar with the book you mention, but the SS website doesn't mention any impact to the spouse (wife) based on the husband taking SS early. It does say the amount for the spouse could be as low as 32.5% if she starts drawing at 62:

A spouse who has not worked or who has low earnings can be entitled to as much as one-half of the retired worker’s full benefit. If you are eligible for both your own retirement benefits and for benefits as a spouse, we always pay your own benefits first. If your benefits as a spouse are higher than your retirement benefits, you will get a combination of benefits equaling the higher spouse benefit.

If spouses want to get Social Security retirement benefits before they reach full retirement age, the amount of the benefit is reduced permanently. The amount of reduction depends on when the person reaches full retirement age.

For example:

* If full retirement age is 65, a spouse can get 37.5 percent of the worker’s unreduced benefit at age 62;
* If full retirement age is 66, a spouse can get 35 percent of the worker’s unreduced benefit at age 62;
* If full retirement age is 67, a spouse can get 32.5 percent of the worker’s unreduced benefit at age 62.

The amount of the benefit increases at later ages up to the maximum of 50 percent at full retirement age. If full retirement age is other than those shown here the amount of the benefit will fall between 32.5 percent and 37 percent at age 62.

http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10035.html#retirement

Old 03-03-2006, 08:12 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I am almost sorry I asked. The wording is so open to interpretation. For instance, what does "unreduced benefit" mean?

It sounds like "unreduced" might mean your full benefit if you reached full retirement age. So it wouldn't mean 35% of the husbands "reduced" (early retirement) benefit, but 35% of the benefit he would receive if he waited until full retirement.

Does that sound right?

boont
Old 03-03-2006, 08:18 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It sounds like "unreduced" might mean your full benefit if you reached full retirement age. So it wouldn't mean 35% of the husbands "reduced" (early retirement) benefit, but 35% of the benefit he would receive if he waited until full retirement.

Does that sound right?
That's the way I interpret it, but you might want to talk to the folks at SS to be sure.

Old 03-03-2006, 08:23 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks, I will call them.

Anyone else want to chime in?

b.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:52 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'd like to know this answer also.
Our newspaper has a SS Q&A section and here is how the SS rep answered that question.
Here is one way to look at the situation.* You can get an idea of what your wife would receive on your record when she turns 62.* Her wife's benefit would be approximately one-third of your full retirement benefit.* This is regardless of whether you elect to start your own benefit early.
Seems clear there, but I still need to hear that face to face I think.
I also understand that when you die, she gets 100% of your full benefit. If all of this* is accurate, it would seem that a wife in this situation would be best off taking benefits ASAP.
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 10:18 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick
I also understand that when you die, she gets 100% of your full benefit. If all of this* is accurate, it would seem that a wife in this situation would be best off taking benefits ASAP.
How do we ensure that our spouses don't conclude that their "best off" situation would be our demise ASAP?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 03-04-2006, 12:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
How do we ensure that our spouses don't conclude that their "best off" situation would be our demise ASAP?
Well you could only surf 5 days per week and spend the other 2 days at home cleaning and doing the laundry* * That would sway the "best off" quotient in your favor.
Be sure to post a picture in your apron*
Old 03-04-2006, 07:23 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Well you could only surf 5 days per week and spend the other 2 days at home cleaning and doing the laundry
Bummer, that's pretty much what I'm doing now. There's no room for improvement!

Old 03-04-2006, 09:07 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Theres no way i'm posting the picture of me with the Baby Bjorn on, infant loaded, vacuuming the living room.

Only 2 days a week at home cleaning and doing the laundry? Man, would that be heavenly...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 10:53 PM   #12

Quote:
...I also understand that when you die, she gets 100% of your full benefit. If all of this* is accurate, it would seem that a wife in this situation would be best off taking benefits ASAP.
On your death, your wife's benefit claimed against your SS account will indeed increase from ~50% of your benefit to 100%.* But I sure thought it is 100% of what you were getting*when you kicked the bucket.*

So if you took "early" retirement @ 62, rather than say full retirement @ 66, you are getting a reduced benefit.* If your spouse then turns 62 and applies against your account, she will get for herself another ~50% of what you are getting.* If you then rejoin the carbon chain, she will now get 100% of that.* NOT 100% of your "unreduced" benefit, that you weren't getting anyway because you took @62 retirement.

A spouse may have reason to keep the primary alive anyway, as if both are alive, the total benefit together is 150% of the reduced benefit.*
If either dies, the total benefit drops to 100%.
This drop in total benefits can hurt, in regards to fixed costs, such as property taxes, etc. where the number of people is a don't care.
Old 03-06-2006, 06:12 AM   #13

Quote:
A spouse may have reason to keep the primary alive anyway, as if both are alive, the total benefit together is 150% of the reduced benefit.
It is hoped that this is not the only reason.

Old 03-06-2006, 07:06 AM   #14

Quote:
Thanks, I will call them.

Anyone else want to chime in?

b.
Still too much gray in this area.* Hopefully the OP will follow through with a call to the SS and post the results.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:12 AM   #15

they make things so hard to find and when you do think you've found the answer it's to vague to understand.

When dh went to apply for his SS I went with him because I was sure (told by a friend and looking on the web) that he could get half of mine which is much more than his. I couldn't find anywhere that said my account had to be open for him to do that. I had to ask the question 3 times to get an answer from the woman processing his application and then it was like I asked her to kill her first born. It was a very unpleasant experience, so much so that dh didn't want to go back to give them the additional information about his military service which needed to be corrected. His exact words were on returning from that visit "She still looks like someone made her swollow a cup of %$#".

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 07:13 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly
A spouse may have reason to keep the primary alive anyway, as if both are alive, the total benefit together is 150% of the reduced benefit.
I just have to make sure that the cost of keeping me alive is a lower percentage of our total income than the cost of living without me...

Old 03-06-2006, 08:55 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outtahere
they make things so hard to find and when you do think you've found the answer it's to vague to understand.

When dh went to apply for his SS I went with him because I was sure (told by a friend and looking on the web) that he could get half of mine which is much more than his. I couldn't find anywhere that said my account had to be open for him to do that. I had to ask the question 3 times to get an answer from the woman processing his application and then it was like I asked her to kill her first born. It was a very unpleasant experience, so much so that dh didn't want to go back to give them the additional information about his military service which needed to be corrected. His exact words were on returning from that visit "She still looks like someone made her swollow a cup of %$#".
I think the SS website and FAQS leave much to be desired.

Your husband can't collect based on your record until you retire or die. He can get SS based on his own record now.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 08:57 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I am almost sorry I asked. The wording is so open to interpretation. For instance, what does "unreduced benefit" mean?

Does that sound right?

boont
Unreduced benefit means what the benefit would be at full retirement age. Then apply the formulas noted in REW's link.

Old 03-06-2006, 09:19 AM   #19

Yes, Martha we found that out during the interview but getting her to answer the question was like getting teeth from a chicken. And she was very condescending to me during the whole interview, didn't want to acknowledge that I was even there, but I'm a "persistent" person when I want an answer and I enjoy making people perform their jobs.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 09:23 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

I bet talking to people in the SS office is a lot like talking to the IRS. I wonder is their reliability in providing correct information is as bad as the IRS's reliability.