Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Earned Income and (reduced) SS Benefits
Old 07-10-2005, 12:59 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Earned Income and (reduced) SS Benefits

I am planning on retiring in May 2006 at age 64.

I will earn about $30K during the first four months of 2006. Reading the SS web page, it appears that SS benefits will be reduced by $1 for every $2 earned. What is not clear is if this is based on earned income AFTER I start drawing SS benefits or all earned income from 2006.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks

Bill
BillB007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Earned Income and (reduced) SS Benefits
Old 07-10-2005, 02:56 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

call the social security adm.....my guess is that it will based on calander year. I doubt many on this board would run into such a situtation since this is a retire early board, lol.
Old 07-11-2005, 12:07 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Bill, this link to a page on the social security website might help answer your question:
http://tinyurl.com/apm6d

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 04:18 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm new to the board, but I can answer this. There is a special rule for the first year of retirement prior to full retirement age, and that seems to be what would apply to you, as it does to my husband, who just recently started drawing his SS. The $30,000.00 earned during the months before you retire will not count toward your allowed earnings. For your partial year, you are allowed $1000.00 per month. If you earn more than $1000.00 in any one month, you will be penalized. When your first full year starts, you are allowed $12,000.00 for the year, regardless of when you earn it.

I would not count on getting accurate information over the phone. We found that even a visit to our local SS office produced obvious inaccuracies. My husband wrote them a letter with his questions and we were contacted by someone who could actually address our concerns. When he went in to sign up, that individual was quite knowledgeable.

Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 04:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail
I'm new to the board, but I can answer this.* There is a special rule for the first year of retirement prior to full retirement age, and that seems to be what would apply to you, as it does to my husband, who just recently started drawing his SS.* The $30,000.00 earned during the months before you retire will not count toward your allowed earnings.* For your partial year, you are allowed $1000.00 per month. If you earn more than $1000.00 in any one month, you will be penalized.* When your first full year starts, you are allowed $12,000.00 for the year, regardless of when you earn it.

I would not count on getting accurate information over the phone.* We found that even a visit to our local SS office produced obvious inaccuracies. My husband wrote them a letter with his questions and we were contacted by someone who could actually address our* concerns.* When he went in to sign up, that individual was quite knowledgeable.

I too once visited my local SS office. This served me to no good end.

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 04:30 PM   #6

When I signed up this year, I made the mistake of going to the local SS office without an appointment. Three hour wait, minimum. Lots of young people in there, drawing or trying to draw some kind of disability (I guess). Anyway, made an appt and got right in. Don't go to the office unless you just have to.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 09:01 PM   #7
Confused about dryer sheets

Thanks for the info, all. The answers appear to be what I wanted to hear. and the SSA web page substantiates that.

Later

Bill

BillB007 is offline   Reply With Quote