Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-10-2021, 02:40 PM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

I grew up in the north part of PA, about an hour northeast of Scranton. I still go back and visit family, and the single best advice I can give is rent first.

Depending how far you move from a larger city (HCOL), some of the things you might (I definitely do!) consider essential are lacking. For example, very poor/no broadband. Parents and family have never streamed anything. Never had any food delivered.... Just a different way of life. All that being said, a dollar goes a long way. Some high school friends are still making $35-$40k and seem to be happy. Definitely some backwards things in PA though. No wine or beer sold in stores is a hard one for me to get used to.

As you head south through Bucks county cost start inching up, but the amenities start to tick up as well. For me its a great place to visit and glad I grew up there, but if I was to retire there I'd try to be close to some of the bigger cities (Harrisburg, Allentown, Bethlehem, etc.).
Paulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2021, 04:28 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulz View Post
I grew up in the north part of PA, about an hour northeast of Scranton. I still go back and visit family, and the single best advice I can give is rent first.

Depending how far you move from a larger city (HCOL), some of the things you might (I definitely do!) consider essential are lacking. For example, very poor/no broadband. Parents and family have never streamed anything. Never had any food delivered.... Just a different way of life. All that being said, a dollar goes a long way. Some high school friends are still making $35-$40k and seem to be happy. Definitely some backwards things in PA though. No wine or beer sold in stores is a hard one for me to get used to.

As you head south through Bucks county cost start inching up, but the amenities start to tick up as well. For me its a great place to visit and glad I grew up there, but if I was to retire there I'd try to be close to some of the bigger cities (Harrisburg, Allentown, Bethlehem, etc.).
Blast from the past. I just spent a couple hours looking over that part of the state. Names of places with distant memories of going places with my parents. My parents were from that area, unlike my older siblings I never lived there. I have old memories of going there to visit family but they were so much older it's mostly funeral memories. I think I was up highway 6 sometime in the early 1970s and never back since.

I have childhood memories of going someplace with my DF and going by what must have been the Farview Hospital for the Criminally Insane and him telling stories of playing baseball there with the inmates in the 1930s. He said the boys were in straight jackets until they went up to bat. I was probably 7 and that stuck with me. I don't recall him saying why they thought it was a good idea to hand a prisoner a bat but..
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 05:58 PM   #63
Confused about dryer sheets

We moved from central PA to be closer to two kids who moved to the Philly suburbs. On early retirement moved to Montgomery county near Collegeville Phoenixville and are so happy. Housing price is reasonable but more importantly trails canals and shopping has expanded our fun times. We bought bikes and kayaks. Valley Forge national park and Audubon and all of the trails associated with that keeps us active. People are friendly but everyone is doing the right thing to beat COVID. So that is an option. The NJ shore is only 1.5 hours away. CT is about 4-5 hours away.
lauraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 08:45 AM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

We retired to the Lehigh Valley 7yrs ago, from a NYC suburb. Great Health care options between St. Lukes Network and Lehigh Valley Health Network. There are enough flight options out of ABE airport such that i tend to use it for domestic travel and use EWR for international. I think I would not be as happy if I went further rural. I like having a Wegmans nearby, plenty of restaurants to choose from. Watching College sports at Lehigh or Lafayette. Triple A baseball and Hockey teams. More free music festivals than I can possibly go to (when we don't have covid). Check it out.
SomedaySoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 05:01 AM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

It seems silly to start another thread so I'll ask here. Is there anyone who has recent experience living in the city (or perhaps just outside)?

We are considering the area because it is close to family. My sister lives near Easton. Beautiful area but after visiting we both thought it was too much driving to get to everything. But we also want to move away from car focused suburbs. Living as an expat in Seoul has made us very conscious of the benefits of walking and transit.
Physics Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 06:38 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Physics Guy View Post
It seems silly to start another thread so I'll ask here. Is there anyone who has recent experience living in the city (or perhaps just outside)?

We are considering the area because it is close to family. My sister lives near Easton. Beautiful area but after visiting we both thought it was too much driving to get to everything. But we also want to move away from car focused suburbs. Living as an expat in Seoul has made us very conscious of the benefits of walking and transit.

There’s an area called the Main Line you might want to check out. Some of the cities are Villanova, Wayne, Paoli, Bryn Mawr, Malvern, Ardmore…plus others. The area from Exton to King of Prussia May also suit your needs.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 08:39 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Physics Guy,
We've lived about 20 miles east of Philadelphia for over 40 years. The drive to see the Liberty Bell is about 30 minutes. A short drive to the train and subsequent train ride is 45 minutes.

For your Easton PA location (use Google maps) trains are limited. I don't think you'll be able to live in the area without a car or two. You would need Uber or Lyft if without a car.

Every town or city in that area is beautiful. But none are gonna be like Seoul...
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 12:24 PM   #68
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Manyunk? Fishtown?
Old 11-28-2021, 06:46 PM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

Some great responses!

Easton was only mentioned in terms of what we don't want. Beautiful area but too car dependent. We'd prefer a more walkable area. I've been looking at neighborhoods but running into conflicting desires. We'd like... (numbered but not in order)

1.Three or four bedrooms (Ours, at least one guest, and one to convert to a sewing room)
2.Something that could be used as a workshop. Noisy and potentially dusty so probably not another bedroom. Basement, possibly a garage. An outbuilding / fixed up garden shed would work.
3.At least a little room for gardening. Pots and planters would work so a rooftop space or a small patio would work if it had sun.
4.Walkability both as in a nice place to walk for exercise and as in walk to grocery store, market, hardware store and the like.
5.Access to transit to downtown Phili as our daughter expects to move to that area soon.
6.Easy access to trails and or water for walking, biking, kayaking. Walking to green space as might be possible in NE or NW Phili or along the Schuykill would be nice.
7.Ideally a garage or driveway to allow charging a BEV

Manayunk and Fishtown are certainly on my radar but we really want at least a little lot and Redfin doesn't show much in those areas with even 2000 square foot lots. The near NE suburbs look good at times but other websites seem to suggest that they are aging poorly.

I've at least thought about the Main Line towns but a brief search seems to indicate that they are a little more expensive then we really want. Probably not impossible though and if some of the downtown areas are walkable they might be good candidates.
Old 11-28-2021, 06:52 PM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

The near NJ burbs are really convenient by Patco train, check out Collingswood and Haddonfield. My friends who live there really like those towns. High real estate taxes though.
Camellia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 06:54 PM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

Some areas I've looked at

In the NW - Manayunk, East Falls, parts of Mount Airy

In the NE - Fox Chase, Bustletown, Pennypack Park

More central - Bella Vista, Passyunk
Old 11-28-2021, 06:58 PM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camellia View Post
The near NJ burbs are really convenient by Patco train, check out Collingswood and Haddonfield. My friends who live there really like those towns. High real estate taxes though.
My brother lives in NJ (near Rutgers) so I plan to talk to him about NJ over Christmas.

The best and most frustrating thing about all of this is that this is the first time we have ever thought about moving without the location being depended on a job/commute. There are tons more options than in prior moves!
Old 11-28-2021, 07:01 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Some great responses!

Easton was only mentioned in terms of what we don't want. Beautiful area but too car dependent. We'd prefer a more walkable area. I've been looking at neighborhoods but running into conflicting desires. We'd like... (numbered but not in order)

1.Three or four bedrooms (Ours, at least one guest, and one to convert to a sewing room)

2.Something that could be used as a workshop. Noisy and potentially dusty so probably not another bedroom. Basement, possibly a garage. An outbuilding / fixed up garden shed would work.

3.At least a little room for gardening. Pots and planters would work so a rooftop space or a small patio would work if it had sun.

4.Walkability both as in a nice place to walk for exercise and as in walk to grocery store, market, hardware store and the like.

5.Access to transit to downtown Phili as our daughter expects to move to that area soon.

6.Easy access to trails and or water for walking, biking, kayaking. Walking to green space as might be possible in NE or NW Phili or along the Schuykill would be nice.

Manayunk and Fishtown are certainly on my radar but we really want at least a little lot and Redfin doesn't show much in those areas with even 2000 square foot lots. The near NE suburbs look good at times but other websites seem to suggest that they are aging poorly.

I've at least thought about the Main Line towns but a brief search seems to indicate that they are a little more expensive then we really want. Probably not impossible though and if some of the downtown areas are walkable they might be good candidates.

Take a look at Phoenixville, Oaks, Audubon, Collegeville areas too.
Prices have been rising here like everywhere, so you may not find any deals. But they have some of what you want. I’d be careful with NE Philly.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 08:21 PM   #74

Quote:

I grew up in Holmesburg, in Winchester Park specifically. It borders Pennypack Park. Lots and homes are a bit bigger than surrounding areas. (I still have 3 siblings there!) Miles of walking trails in Pennypack.

Close to the Septa R7 (you can walk, although the neighborhoods along the way are a bit sketchy). Plenty of restaurants and bars in walking distance, but you still have to drive to the grocery store.

PM me if you want more specifics.

PS I am also a Physics Guy!
Old 11-28-2021, 08:30 PM   #75
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Mt Airy has some regional rail service, access to the Wissahickon trails, and is much more affordable than South Philly (which is where Bella Vista and Passyunk are) so it might hit all the buttons. BV and Passyunk are mainly rowhouses, no outbuildings or workshop types come with those properties. And NE doesn’t have easy transit into Center City.
Camellia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 08:55 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camellia View Post
And NE doesn’t have easy transit into Center City.
Well, that is not true. There is the El and the regional rail lines (R7, R8).
Old 11-28-2021, 08:59 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out-to-Lunch View Post
I grew up in Holmesburg, in Winchester Park specifically. It borders Pennypack Park. Lots and homes are a bit bigger than surrounding areas. (I still have 3 siblings there!) Miles of walking trails in Pennypack.

Close to the Septa R7 (you can walk, although the neighborhoods along the way are a bit sketchy). Plenty of restaurants and bars in walking distance, but you still have to drive to the grocery store.

PM me if you want more specifics.

PS I am also a Physics Guy!
Yo. I grew up in Academy Gardens. Smallish world isn't it?
Old 11-28-2021, 09:07 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Yo. I grew up in Academy Gardens. Smallish world isn't it?
Wow! Yes, smallish, indeed!
Old 11-28-2021, 09:16 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Some great responses!

You're asking for a lot. Home prices to the east of Philly are rising and there is bidding on those for sale. My first guess is that you'll pay over $500K in South Jersey. You'll get 1/2 acre, etc. Taxes will be 15K per year. And you'll need a car.

The PATCO train mentioned in another post runs entirely in Camden County, going to Philly. It's our mode of operation.

The only thing I would change in a do-over is to live in Burlington County, which is just north of Camden County.

You may run into problems with noise ordinance, depending on neighbors and the local code.

You have a lot to investigate.
Old 11-28-2021, 09:27 PM   #80
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
You may run into problems with noise ordinance, depending on neighbors and the local code.

You have a lot to investigate.
A lot to investigate is certainly true! But I don't return from Korea until June and some of the hobbies I want to do don't really work in our current apartment so I have (perhaps too much) time to look. I'm even thinking of really diving deep and starting to map grocery stores and the like plus really figure out the regional rail systems.

Luckily nothing I am doing should be noise ordinance level if I have a garage, basement, or the like. It's mostly for the dust that I don't want to use a spare bedroom.