Join Early Retirement Today

Easy ~5% return on $20k cash (for couples)
Old 08-19-2014, 11:52 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Easy ~5% return on $20k cash (for couples)

Yes I know the title looks like something pitched by a telemarketer, but this is a relatively easy way to make a grand or so a year with short-term money.

For you and the spouse/SO, open up 2 of these prepaid cards:

https://www.mangomoney.com/
https://www.myunionprepaid.com/

Then open the linked savings account for each card and deposit $5k to each.
Finally, set up an automated direct deposit (ACH push) from your bank/CU to each for $50 a month - you have to do this to get the promo APYs.

Note that there is a $3 fee/mo. for the Mango and a $2 fee/mo. for the Union Plus so your net interest won't be the full APY, but it's still around 5% net for all four accounts - Mango pays 6% and Union pays 5%. Also note that you don't have to be a union member for the Union Plus card.

You have to transfer money from the savings account to the card and then ACH it out back to your bank/CU to pocket the interest - you'll want to do this at least yearly because the promo APY only applies to the first $5k in each account. Also, these accounts are backed by First Bank & Trust and are FDIC-insured.

If interested in an extra ~4%, you can also get the Paypal Prepaid card which is linked to your Paypal account (backed by Bancorp and also FDIC insured), then open a savings account for that and deposit $5k. You can have 2 PP accounts per person, one personal and one business. This pays 5% on up to $5k but there is a $4.95 fee/mo. so it is not as lucrative as the first two above. Same deal as above, you have to transfer money via your PP account to/from the card and then to/from the savings account. But you don't have to do a monthly deposit to get the promo rate.

https://www.paypal-prepaid.com/
GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2014, 12:07 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Thanks. I will look into this. I always keep an eye for little deals like this to make a few extra thousand a year.
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 01:40 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTFan View Post
Yes I know the title looks like something pitched by a telemarketer, but this is a relatively easy way to make a grand or so a year with short-term money.

For you and the spouse/SO, open up 2 of these prepaid cards:

https://www.mangomoney.com/
https://www.myunionprepaid.com/

Then open the linked savings account for each card and deposit $5k to each.
Finally, set up an automated direct deposit (ACH push) from your bank/CU to each for $50 a month - you have to do this to get the promo APYs.

Note that there is a $3 fee/mo. for the Mango and a $2 fee/mo. for the Union Plus so your net interest won't be the full APY, but it's still around 5% net for all four accounts - Mango pays 6% and Union pays 5%. Also note that you don't have to be a union member for the Union Plus card.

You have to transfer money from the savings account to the card and then ACH it out back to your bank/CU to pocket the interest - you'll want to do this at least yearly because the promo APY only applies to the first $5k in each account. Also, these accounts are backed by First Bank & Trust and are FDIC-insured.

If interested in an extra ~4%, you can also get the Paypal Prepaid card which is linked to your Paypal account (backed by Bancorp and also FDIC insured), then open a savings account for that and deposit $5k. You can have 2 PP accounts per person, one personal and one business. This pays 5% on up to $5k but there is a $4.95 fee/mo. so it is not as lucrative as the first two above. Same deal as above, you have to transfer money via your PP account to/from the card and then to/from the savings account. But you don't have to do a monthly deposit to get the promo rate.

https://www.paypal-prepaid.com/

Doesn't seem to be worth the effort as the 5% is limited to 5k ( in essence limited to $250 minus the fees and the hassle)

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
robertf57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 02:48 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertf57 View Post
Doesn't seem to be worth the effort as the 5% is limited to 5k ( in essence limited to $250 minus the fees and the hassle)
To be fair, that's how he presented it. 2 different cards, and if you have a spouse or partner you can each do it, 2x2x5000 = 20K. That said, I haven't been motivated enough to look at this much more closely.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 04:59 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I haven't looked closely at what is involved yet but a lot of these little online deals take maybe a few hours to set up, so I look at how long I would have to work to make an equivalent amount of money after tax.

If you have a part-time job making more than $7,000 per hour then these kind of little side gigs are probably not worth your time.
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:55 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Not to mention that from what I've read elsewhere it's actually possible to get more than one Mango and Union card per person, just need a different email address and phone number. That makes it possible to go to $40k or so at 5% net.

Yes it's not as easy as dumping into CDs but it sure pays a lot better, could be $150/mo. or more with no risk and no withdrawal cost. If your short-term money is just laying around in MM/savings anyway it's something to think about.
GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote