Join Early Retirement Today

Easy SS Question
Old 07-08-2020, 02:30 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Easy SS Question

I have tried to find out on the SSA website, and others, if there is some kind of "reward/penalty" to waiting until full retirement age to take SS. I know about the 7-8% per year stuff. But what about taking SS just a month or two prior to FRA? Would I collect less than the annual 7-8% divided by 12 if I took it a month early? Is the actual amount simply calculated on a monthly basis? The reason I'm asking has to do with taxes and calendar year planning. My FRA is 66 and 4 months, if that makes any difference.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2020, 02:38 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yes... they do it by month. Here is yours: https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/retirem...nner/1956.html

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 02:38 PM   #3
Administrator

IIRC the penalty for collecting early is on a monthly basis. Ie if you collect at 66yr 3 mos, you get dinged for 1/2 % or so.
Old 07-08-2020, 02:45 PM   #4
Dryer sheet wannabe

RE: Easy SS Question

A summary from:
https://www.fool.com/retirement/2018...p-by-step.aspx
Assuming you know your Primary Insurance Amount (PIA)
If you do not claim Social Security retirement benefits at your full retirement age, then the effect on your monthly benefit will depend on how early or late you filed. Here's how your PIA will change based on when you claim benefits:
  • If you claim Social Security no more than 36 months before your full retirement age, your benefit will be reduced by 0.56% per month you claimed early. That works out to 6.67% per year during the three years leading up to your full retirement age.
  • If you claim Social Security more than 36 months before your full retirement age, your benefit will be reduced by 20% plus 0.42% per month beyond 36 months early (that's another 5% per year).
  • If you claim Social Security after your full retirement age, your benefit will be permanently increased by 0.67% for every month you choose to delay. These benefit boosts are known as delayed-retirement credits.
Rick0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 02:56 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Yes... they do it by month. Here is yours: https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/retirem...nner/1956.html
Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for. Don't know why I couldn't find that. This forum is soooo helpful!
Old 07-08-2020, 04:45 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Oblivious Investor website has a link to nifty SS calculator that will tell you which month is best and how different scenarios affect your benefit.
urn2bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 09:40 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yes, before FRA it is simple by the month math. After FRA, the delayed credits are only applied at the beginning of the calendar year. So there may be a larger lump sum you may be losing if you file at the wrong time of the year, depending on when your FRA calendar date is.
Perryinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 10:18 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post

Why couldn't the eztend those charts to 70 years old.
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 02:17 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

They could.... but they didn't.

Old 07-09-2020, 06:56 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes they did. Pick your birth year here https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/retirem.../delayret.html
Sarah S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 07:16 PM   #11
Confused about dryer sheets

Yep, as mentioned earlier, the increase after Normal Retirement Age until 79 is 8% per year. This works out to 8% / 12 = 2/3 % per month.

There is a useful calculator at https://ssa.tools/ that will show you this graphically for your PIA and any starting date you want to select.
gregable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 09:10 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Good to know.... never seen that page before... cool.

To bad they didn't integrate the two pages together to cover 62 to 70 based on your birth year.