Easy SS question

jpeter1093

Recycles dryer sheets
I'm 3 years older than my wife. I plan on taking my SSA at age 70. If she takes her's at FRA (66 2 months or so) would she be able to take half of mine or would it be reduced unless she also waited until she was 70?

If she takes it early, say at 63, would she be able to switch to half of my 70 amount when she is 67 (and I'm 70)?

She will never be able to take half of your age 70 amount. The most that a spouse can get is 50% of your full retirement age amount. If she takes hers early (before her full retirement age), she will not be able to take 50% of your full retirement age amount. Once she files early for SS, her amounts are forever reduced. Furthermore, if her birthday was Jan 2, 1954 or later, she will not be able to file for spousal and let hers grow. Anyone born Jan 2, 1954 or later is "deemed" to be filing for the greatest amount available to them at that time.

I'm 3 years older than my wife. I plan on taking my SSA at age 70. If she takes her's at FRA (66 2 months or so) would she be able to take half of mine or would it be reduced unless she also waited until she was 70?
No, she cannot claim spousal benefit. If she claims her at FRA, you could claim spousal SS and receive 1/2 of her SS amount for a few months and then claim your own at 70.

If she takes it early, say at 63, would she be able to switch to half of my 70 amount when she is 67 (and I'm 70)?
No.

Last edited:
No, she cannot claim spousal benefit. If she claims her at FRA, you could claim spousal SS and receive 1/2 of her SS amount for a few months and then claim your own at 70.

And that's only true if you were born before 1/2/54.

Back
Top Bottom