Join Early Retirement Today

Economic troubles consumer sales begin.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:48 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Economic troubles consumer sales begin.

SignOnSanDiego.com > News > Metro -- Linens 'n Things liquidation sale begins today

More than $1 billion of name-brand home merchandise will be sold at discounts up to 30 percent, according to the consortium of liquidation companies that received bankruptcy court approval to begin the sales.
+++++

On a previous thread some asked me to let them know when, as a result of the current economic troubles the good deals began.

There will be more.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2008, 07:51 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Sad for employees of Linens-N-Things, but good for employees of Bed, Bath & Beyond and others like it? A recession always sorts out the weak and the strong, as you well know.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 08:15 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

My daughter got some FANTASTIC bargains at the closing sale for her Linens 'n' Things in Oregon earlier this year. She waited until the final days and most of the stores contents were going for 10-30% of the original value. My local Linens 'n' Things hasn't really had sales with deep discounts like that, yet.

I absolutely adore that store, and in the past couldn't seem to get out of there for less than $150 (so I stopped going there, simple solution). But if the prices go to 30% off or lower as this article implies, I will be there, cash in hand.

Thanks for the tip, Dex!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 09:02 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Any predictions on which "big" retailer will go out due to the current economic "downturn" (Sears, Penneys, etc?)
Old 10-18-2008, 09:04 AM   #5

Circuit City... but then that's not so much a prediction as an observation.
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 09:06 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Mervyn's was just announced. And from past experience - I worked at Montgomery Wards as a 2nd job when trying to pay my house off faster - When the bankruptcy court takes over the liquidation -which is day 1, prices are full price and go down very slowly. The items at Montgomery Wards were never priced as high as they were when the liquidation began - people just thought they were getting bargains because they weren't regulars of the store. It was only in the last weeks when there was little stock left that the sales were substantial.
ohfrugalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 09:17 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohfrugalone View Post
Mervyn's was just announced. And from past experience - I worked at Montgomery Wards as a 2nd job when trying to pay my house off faster - When the bankruptcy court takes over the liquidation -which is day 1, prices are full price and go down very slowly. The items at Montgomery Wards were never priced as high as they were when the liquidation began - people just thought they were getting bargains because they weren't regulars of the store. It was only in the last weeks when there was little stock left that the sales were substantial.
That makes sense. My daughter told me to wait until the last week. I think she got those deep discounts at Linens 'n' Things within just two or three days of its closing. She said there wasn't much selection left. She bought curtains for nearly nothing (I've forgotten... $1? $2?), and plans to cut them up and use the fabric for various projects.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 04:48 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohfrugalone View Post
I remember going to Ames thinking that there would be bargains. I waited until the "most items 50% off" signs went up. All the shelves were trashed....nothing worthwhile at all. They had taken lampshades off the lamps and priced them seperately!
jazz4cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 06:36 PM   #9

nice thing about downturns is the sales

the last recession my wife bought me a bunch of Armani and other expensive brand name jeans at like 50% off regular prices. i have a 5 year old pair of Diesel jeans that i spilled real diesel on and they still look almost brand new
al_bundy is offline   Reply With Quote