Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-18-2008, 09:05 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Ah yes. Now here's a topic too near and dear to my heart. I went through two plant closings inside of three years which was caused by corporate takeover. The new owner has been selling off pieces for over ten tears now. I never did find a comparable position with another company when I finally ran out of options. I expect my age, over 55, may have had something to do with it, I don't know. Now I'm retired and working my a** off with rental property remodeling and home projects. In fact, I need a vacation, bad.

I remember back many years ago when it became fashionable to outsource manufacturing work. Everyone in corporate management was pushing it to increase returns. Now the fashion is to outsource service and support work. Have you tried to get Customer Support lately? If you can get past the computer-pushbutton-hell, you're as likely as not talking to someone halfway around the world with a accent that only vaguely resembles English. It struck me after one such episode recently that we are on a fast track toward living in a third-world environment, virtually if not actually.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2008, 09:02 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Supervalu. Inc, headquartered in Minneapolis, MN, is planning to layoff 2000 jobs, 180 of which are information technology jobs. The reason is to get rid of duplicate functions from the merge with Albertson and to save costs.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:18 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

My boss just told me on friday they were going to start laying people off. Apparently he thinks our department (currently three people after firing one and one quitting) should be fine as long as our income doesn't drop 30% below it's current level. Though it's dropped 50% since January so I'm applying at a couple places in town that sound interesting. Though I'd hate to end up giving my two weeks notice hours before I was going to get some kind of severance package.
Frugality_of_Apathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 01:01 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I am sorry about the job losses you describe and no question it's tougher out there than it was a few years ago. But I just hired someone, it's not all bad news out here...

Well, how old is that new hire? I think the OP was complaining that these people are over 50 and it's hard to find a comparable position at that age. The job market like the stock market is never that bad if you have a long horizon for recovery.
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 01:20 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

FIL (61) lost his job in May. DW's company (healthcare) has gone through massive layoffs in the past year (high compensation, and generally older, employees were at the top of the "pink slip" list). Lots of jobs moving to India or being handled by contractors. In the past few months though, the problem has been people leaving their jobs voluntarily. OUr plan is to be financially independent by the time we reach 45-50 so that we don't have to worry about layoffs in the later part of our careers.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote