Join Early Retirement Today

ECRI says Recession Unavoidable
Old 09-30-2011, 09:20 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

ECRI says Recession Unavoidable

Sheesh. I knew things weren't great but I didnt expect this. Are the claims made (ECRI never having sent a false recession signal) correct?

“It’s Going to Get a Lot Worse”: ECRI’s Achuthan Says New Recession Unavoidable | Daily Ticker - Yahoo! Finance=

With all the negativity I see in the media, I guess we really can talk ourselves into a recession.

Snidely Whiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2011, 09:38 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Based on past history, I would agree but Warren Buffett said today otherwise!
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 09:50 AM   #3

Yes recessions are inevitable. The question is only of when they will occur.

I also predict rain in our future is inevitable.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:03 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You know the old saw: Economists have predicted 9 of the last 4 recessions.

Discount anything on the "daily ticker" by at least 75%.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:07 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
You know the old saw: Economists have predicted 9 of the last 4 recessions.

Discount anything on the "daily ticker" by at least 75%.
Thats why I inquired as to the truthfulness of ECRI's claim to have never sent a false recession signal. I'm not that familiar with ECRI or the Daily Ticker.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:07 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

What he's saying seems almost obvious to me. Seems like there's much more bad news out there than good.
DallasGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:44 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

ECRI is legit, but is only expressing an opinion. Daily Ticker is a soapbox for lunatics.

- George Orwell

Old 09-30-2011, 11:31 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Daily Ticker is a soapbox for lunatics.
Absolutely, like recent guests Robert Shiller and Mort Zuckerman.

Ha
Old 09-30-2011, 11:37 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Absolutely, like recent guests Robert Shiller and Mort Zuckerman.

Ha
Daily Ticker seems to want to showcase only the most extreme viewpoints, regardless of where they come from. A steady diet of that is not healthy.

- George Orwell

Old 09-30-2011, 12:44 PM   #10

Must be that copper thing. (I never heard about the copper indicator before a couple of days ago. Now it is all the rage and seems like everyone, but me, knew.)
Tadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 04:01 PM   #11

I recall the ECRI guy being on CNBC after the big collapse. We started to rally off the lows and I was quite skeptical at the time (thinking it was just a dead cat bounce). ECRI's message was very positive at the time while other "experts" were saying stay away. He seemed to have nailed most of the ride up for what it's worth.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:40 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

The guy admits that last summer ECRI was saying "No Double Dip". Now he's saying we are either in recession or Q4 is the recession.

And as the ECRI guy says, we are at 2 years into the expansion cycle and the great majority of historical expansion cycles only last about 3 years. So a prediction of a recession at this point is just playing the odds.

I guess it isn't that surprising given we are 15% off the recent market highs.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:59 PM   #13
gone traveling

It does not matter if we go into a Depression or a Recession. What matters is your own Economy.
ER Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 07:17 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Apperantly he was making the rounds Friday. CNBC link if they are any more legitimate than Daily Ticker:

http://media.cnbc.com/i/CNBC/compone...bcplayershare/

I have yet to read anywhere that his previous calls, premised on the company's leading indicators, have given a false recession signal.

Old 10-01-2011, 07:24 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
the great majority of historical expansion cycles only last about 3 years. So a prediction of a recession at this point is just playing the odds.
Really? Recessions are historically that frequent? Assuming they last a year and expansion cycles average three years we then have recessions every four years or so?

As bad as I (and my portfolio) felt during the "Great Recession" I was hoping for a bit longer until I had to go through it again.

Old 10-01-2011, 08:49 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snidely Whiplash View Post
Really? Recessions are historically that frequent? Assuming they last a year and expansion cycles average three years we then have recessions every four years or so?

As bad as I (and my portfolio) felt during the "Great Recession" I was hoping for a bit longer until I had to go through it again.

The history is kind of split. Prior to the late 80s or so, expansions typically lasted about 3 years and then you had some kind of recession. In the last 20 or 25 years, we have had longer expansions (6 or 7 years). If you average it, you get something like 4 year averages for expansion time.

I would say that circumstances are unusual vs. the historical record in that the damage done by credit crunches tends to be longer lasting. Whether we technically lapse into recession or not is unclear (I think probably not, but its possible). Instead, we are likely to go through a prolonged period of low growth as the damage done slowly heals. I am not really expeting robust growth until 2015 or so and that has been my expectation for some time.

That said, look at the economic data. Lots of mixed signals, but the mix has turned somewhat more positive lately. There is a ton of fear in the market after the big swoon a couple years ago, but as far as I can tell it seems overdone.

- George Orwell

Old 10-01-2011, 09:30 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snidely Whiplash View Post

Fortunately in Peru (several other countries as well) we skipped (the Great Recession) and although the stock market suffered some, home values have increased by 300% over the past 4 years.

The government is telling everyone to brace for a "Global Slowdown" as opposed to a recession and exporters are shifting away from the USA (Now tied with Switzerland) as our second largest export market after China.

I also subscribe to the low growth theory's currently in vogue. However, unless there is major "political" and "structural" change the USA will be stuck in stagnation for at least a decade.
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 09:34 AM   #18
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEXPAT View Post
Fortunately in Peru (several other countries as well) we skipped (the Great Recession) and although the stock market suffered some, home values have increased by 300% over the past 4 years.
Wow. Real estate bubble in the making...
Old 10-01-2011, 11:07 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

One thing to keep an eye on...

If you punch up a chart of a typical stock market index like the S&P 500, and overlay the periods when the economy was in recession, you'll see something interesting. Mr Market tends to hit his low at or just before the start of a recession.

It's that whole forward-looking thing...
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 12:25 PM   #20
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
One thing to keep an eye on...

If you punch up a chart of a typical stock market index like the S&P 500, and overlay the periods when the economy was in recession, you'll see something interesting. Mr Market tends to hit his low at or just before the start of a recession.

It's that whole forward-looking thing...
I beg to differ. Looking at the last 5 recessions as called by the NBER: 12/07, 3/01, 7/90, 7/81, 1/80, the S&P at the beginning and end of the month, and the S&P 3 and 6 months later, it is lower in 9 of those 10 moments. I would agree that the stock market has already begun it's decline by the recession start date. These are incredibly difficult to time, and once fear begins to dominate one's investing outlook that probably means it time to buy.

In this case unemployment is already quite high so a deterioration may not have the same big impact as in the past. On the other hand, the "idiots in charge" factor characterizing politics around many western developed economies add a new dimension to portfolio risk. But it does keep us busy around here
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote