Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-20-2021, 05:15 PM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Willamette Valley, Oregon
Posts: 1,979
Why not go real simple--1 fund.

VSCPX. Small cap index, with very low expense ratio of .03%.

From 1926 thru 2020, small caps indexes returned about 11% annually, while large caps (S&P500) returned about 10% annually. More volatility to small caps, but earlier you said you were prepared to be aggressive and could withstand markets like 2008 and stay the course. You can check at American Association of Individual Investors (AAII) for comparative stats. They just published an article in June issue of their monthly, that's where I got the stats for small caps vs large caps.
__________________
Dreams Worth Dreaming are Dreams Worth Planning For. I Spent a Career Planning for Early Retirement.
RetireeRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2021, 05:15 PM   #82
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Willamette Valley, Oregon
Posts: 1,979
PS---OP, no more questions. As Nike says---"Just do it".
__________________
Dreams Worth Dreaming are Dreams Worth Planning For. I Spent a Career Planning for Early Retirement.
RetireeRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 05:19 PM   #83
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Sugar Land, Texas
Posts: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireeRobert View Post
Why not go real simple--1 fund.

VSCPX. Small cap index, with very low expense ration of .03%.

From 1926 thru 2020, small caps indexes returned about 11% annually, while large caps (S&P500) returned about 10% annually. More volatility to small caps, but earlier you said you were prepared to be aggressive and could withstand markets like 2008 and stay the course. You can check at American Association of Individual Investors (AAII) for comparative stats. They just published an article in June issue of their monthly, that's where I got the stats for small caps vs large caps.
💯% on VSCPX?

So why are funds like VTSAX and FZROX so popular even though it returns less?
F.I.R.E User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 05:23 PM   #84
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by F.I.R.E User View Post
💯% on VSCPX?

So why are funds like VTSAX and FZROX so popular even though it returns less?
No, not 100% in small caps. Don't chase returns; would you put 100% in bitcoin? Simply own the entire market.

I said it once, I'll say it again: read this page:

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Bogl...g_start-up_kit
mrfeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 05:24 PM   #85
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Sugar Land, Texas
Posts: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfeh View Post
No, not 100% in small caps. Don't chase returns; would you put 100% in bitcoin? Simply own the entire market.

I said it once, I'll say it again: read this page:

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Bogl...g_start-up_kit
What about:

85% FXAIX.
15% VSCPX.
F.I.R.E User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 05:26 PM   #86
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Willamette Valley, Oregon
Posts: 1,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfeh View Post
No, not 100% in small caps. Don't chase returns; would you put 100% in bitcoin? Simply own the entire market.

I said it once, I'll say it again: read this page:

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Bogl...g_start-up_kit
OP said he wanted maximum aggressive and could withstand the bad markets.

Small cap fits the bill. The small cap index fund does offer diversification, that fund tracks similar to the Russell 2000 index.

Comparing a small cap broadly diversified index fund to Bitcoin is apples to kiwis.
__________________
Dreams Worth Dreaming are Dreams Worth Planning For. I Spent a Career Planning for Early Retirement.
RetireeRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 05:48 PM   #87
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Sugar Land, Texas
Posts: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireeRobert View Post
OP said he wanted maximum aggressive and could withstand the bad markets.

Small cap fits the bill. The small cap index fund does offer diversification, that fund tracks similar to the Russell 2000 index.

Comparing a small cap broadly diversified index fund to Bitcoin is apples to kiwis.
So the difference in returns are 1%?
F.I.R.E User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 05:57 PM   #88
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
RunningBum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 12,379
Every one of these threads remind me of John Candy and Macaulay Culkin in Uncle Buck
https://youtu.be/jpvkUdMu60A
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 06:15 PM   #89
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
RobbieB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Central CA
Posts: 8,377
Maximum aggressive is put everything in 1 stock. Roll the dice. Funds are not maximum aggressive.
__________________
Retired at 59 in 2014. Should have done it sooner but I worried too much.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 06:18 PM   #90
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Sugar Land, Texas
Posts: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Maximum aggressive is put everything in 1 stock. Roll the dice. Funds are not maximum aggressive.
I see maybe I used the wrong term. Aggressive is the right term?
F.I.R.E User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 06:19 PM   #91
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Sugar Land, Texas
Posts: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Every one of these threads remind me of John Candy and Macaulay Culkin in Uncle Buck
https://youtu.be/jpvkUdMu60A
Home Alone movie? Oh, Uncle Buck.
F.I.R.E User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 06:54 PM   #92
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by F.I.R.E User View Post
What about:

85% FXAIX.
15% VSCPX.
That's fine; it approximates total US equities.
mrfeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 06:56 PM   #93
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Sugar Land, Texas
Posts: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfeh View Post
That's fine; it approximates total US equities.
I just made the change to this in my Fidelity account.
F.I.R.E User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 09:18 PM   #94
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Willamette Valley, Oregon
Posts: 1,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by F.I.R.E User View Post
So the difference in returns are 1%?
Large caps index (S &P500) about 10% annually from 1926 thru 2020. Small caps index about 11% annually for that period.

So small caps index gave a ten percent (10%) "greater return" than large caps index.

(The difference "in annual return" between small caps and large caps is one percent. So if the large caps total return annually is ten percent, then 1 divided by 10 = ten percent "greater return" using small caps than large caps. Or to say it another way, 11 is ten percent greater than 10.)
__________________
Dreams Worth Dreaming are Dreams Worth Planning For. I Spent a Career Planning for Early Retirement.
RetireeRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 09:27 PM   #95
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Sugar Land, Texas
Posts: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireeRobert View Post
Large caps index (S &P500) about 10% annually from 1926 thru 2020. Small caps index about 11% annually for that period.

So small caps index gave a ten percent (10%) "greater return" than large caps index.

(The difference "in annual return" between small caps and large caps is one percent. So if the large caps total return annually is ten percent, then 1 divided by 10 = ten percent "greater return" using small caps than large caps. Or to say it another way, 11 is ten percent greater than 10.)
Thanks for details.
F.I.R.E User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 02:16 PM   #96
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Sugar Land, Texas
Posts: 847
I got this email today from Fidelity:


NEW! AFTER-TAX CONTRIBUTIONS

If you have already made the maximum pretax and/or Roth contribution possible (including catch-up contributions if eligible), consider making an after-tax contribution to save even more for your retirement. You can contribute up to $10,000 annually after-tax. After-tax contributions are not matched.

So there is a limit of $10k?
F.I.R.E User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 01:34 PM   #97
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Sugar Land, Texas
Posts: 847
I am using 85% FXAIX and 15% VSCPX so why does it Account show old fund investments still?
F.I.R.E User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 09:45 PM   #98
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Sugar Land, Texas
Posts: 847
Why am I still invested in other funds in my 401k account? I only have the 2 funds in it. I thought it auto sells others?
F.I.R.E User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 09:52 PM   #99
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by F.I.R.E User View Post
I got this email today from Fidelity:


NEW! AFTER-TAX CONTRIBUTIONS

If you have already made the maximum pretax and/or Roth contribution possible (including catch-up contributions if eligible), consider making an after-tax contribution to save even more for your retirement. You can contribute up to $10,000 annually after-tax. After-tax contributions are not matched.

So there is a limit of $10k?
Not per the IRS, but your company may impose such a limit.
SevenUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 09:54 PM   #100
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by F.I.R.E User View Post
Why am I still invested in other funds in my 401k account? I only have the 2 funds in it. I thought it auto sells others?
Apparently not. Perhaps you directed new contributions to the 2 funds, but did not adjust the allocation of already-invested funds?
SevenUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
401k, fidelity, vanguard


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Leave TSP funds in TSP or move to Edward Jones Awebb FIRE and Money 84 08-27-2021 11:31 AM
Edward Jones take on index funds... Tailgate FIRE and Money 28 08-16-2015 01:54 PM
How Edward Jones advisors are compensated Helen FIRE and Money 3 10-18-2011 11:38 AM
Mom, Edward Jones, and a CIT Bond region2 Other topics 7 08-16-2009 03:55 PM
Things must be slow at Edward Jones... Gonzo Other topics 10 10-04-2006 10:09 AM

» Quick Links

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:24 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.