EE bond ladder starting to mature this year

Lakewood90712

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Gee this makes me feel old L.O.L.

Some of those EE bonds I bought with payroll deduction at Megacorp, are starting to mature. Treasury website says you have to redeem, no more HH bonds. I don't recall if HH kept the original EE rate back when they still were offered.

Are you asking a question? Once your EE Bonds mature there's nothing you can do but redeem them and pay the tax. The former option with H Bonds is gone.
Bruce

^^^ What he said. redeem, take your lumps, and move on. I've moved mine to iBonds - pretty easy to do while you are there.

Are you asking a question? Once your EE Bonds mature there's nothing you can do but redeem them and pay the tax. The former option with H Bonds is gone.
Bruce

I know the H series conversions went away long ago. Back when they were available, was the rate the same as the maturing E ? , or the current rate ?.

Just by dumb luck, I loaded up on I bonds when rates were high, even better, at the time, you could buy them with credit cards , and got a whole lot of "Airmiles" .

Back when they were available, was the rate the same as the maturing E ? , or the current rate ?.
It was just the current rate on the H Bonds. The appeal at the time was it avoided recognizing the income on the E Bonds. I did it for my mother and then redeemed the H Bonds during her final years when she was deducting huige medical expenses and therefore there was no tax ever paid on the interest.
Bruce

Back
Top Bottom