Join Early Retirement Today

EE bond ladder starting to mature this year
Old 04-14-2015, 07:47 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

EE bond ladder starting to mature this year

Gee this makes me feel old L.O.L.

Some of those EE bonds I bought with payroll deduction at Megacorp, are starting to mature. Treasury website says you have to redeem, no more HH bonds. I don't recall if HH kept the original EE rate back when they still were offered.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2015, 02:14 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Are you asking a question? Once your EE Bonds mature there's nothing you can do but redeem them and pay the tax. The former option with H Bonds is gone.
Bruce
Gill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 02:24 PM   #3

^^^ What he said. redeem, take your lumps, and move on. I've moved mine to iBonds - pretty easy to do while you are there.
Old 04-15-2015, 03:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBMiner View Post
Are you asking a question? Once your EE Bonds mature there's nothing you can do but redeem them and pay the tax. The former option with H Bonds is gone.
Bruce
I know the H series conversions went away long ago. Back when they were available, was the rate the same as the maturing E ? , or the current rate ?.

Just by dumb luck, I loaded up on I bonds when rates were high, even better, at the time, you could buy them with credit cards , and got a whole lot of "Airmiles" .
Old 04-15-2015, 03:24 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
Back when they were available, was the rate the same as the maturing E ? , or the current rate ?.
It was just the current rate on the H Bonds. The appeal at the time was it avoided recognizing the income on the E Bonds. I did it for my mother and then redeemed the H Bonds during her final years when she was deducting huige medical expenses and therefore there was no tax ever paid on the interest.
Bruce
Gill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ee bonds, hh bonds