Join Early Retirement Today

effects of different filing categories on taxes
Old 09-28-2019, 01:28 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

effects of different filing categories on taxes

now that I am on medicare I plan to start doing roth conversions. DW is still on ACA. We have always filed taxes jointly. Is there a way to file taxes differently, head of household, or seperately, so DW could still be eligible for ACA subsidy while I max out my roth conversions?
mn54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2019, 01:39 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If you're married and don't support any children, then you're not a "head of household". You and your wife could file "married filing separately", but you will need to do some test returns to figure out if it's worthwhile. It looks like you're in MN, which is not a community property state, so it might possibly help; especially if you're not collecting SS yet.

Buy some tax software from last year and do mock returns for separate and joint using this year's numbers to get an idea of what the total tax burden will be in each scenario.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 01:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
Buy some tax software from last year and do mock returns for separate and joint using this year's numbers to get an idea of what the total tax burden will be in each scenario.
Or do mock returns without buying tax software.
gwraigty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 01:53 PM   #4

I don’t think MFS will help you get more ACA subsidy. IIRC the ACA calculations use household income, so if you live together your income still gets included.
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 01:55 PM   #5
Administrator

And to make it more complicated, don't forget to calculate IRMAA on the Medicare premiums.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 02:10 PM   #6

Another wrinkle is that many states require you to file your state return with the same status as your federal return. So you need to check that and if it applies, figure it out for the whole tax situation.
Old 09-28-2019, 02:57 PM   #7

From past experience, my word of advice is to be very sure what you're doing is okay with your state. When I did this about 20 years ago due to a situation which resulted in significant savings, the state would have nothing of it and within weeks sent me a letter indicating I was being audited. It went quickly as I had direct contact with the auditor and this was the only issue they had. They reworked the numbers for joint filing and sent me a bill for what they figured we owed them. At that point, based on how the discussion went, there was no sense in disputing their position. I've never been audited in my life prior to or since then, either state or federal.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 03:11 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn54 View Post
now that I am on medicare I plan to start doing roth conversions. DW is still on ACA. We have always filed taxes jointly. Is there a way to file taxes differently, head of household, or seperately, so DW could still be eligible for ACA subsidy while I max out my roth conversions?
For this to work for ACA purposes I think you need to get a divorce.....
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 03:13 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post
I don’t think MFS will help you get more ACA subsidy. IIRC the ACA calculations use household income, so if you live together your income still gets included.
Not sure this is true I know a few posters here say their SO gets heavily subsidized ACA and they don't. Perhaps they have another address...? IDK.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 03:29 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Looking through the instructions for Form 8962, it appears that generally if you're married and file MFS, neither spouse would qualify for ACA subsidies:

"Married filing separately. If you file as married filing separately and are not a victim of domestic abuse or spousal abandonment (see Exception 2—Victim of domestic abuse or spousal abandonment under Married taxpayers above), then you are not an applicable taxpayer and you cannot take the PTC."

Page 5 of https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i8962.pdf.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote