Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-16-2021, 02:29 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

I efiled 2/13 - got acceptance in a couple of hours.
badatmath is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2021, 03:23 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

I e-filed Fed on 10th or 11th, don't recall for sure, I got notified Sat morn it was accepted. Still have to do states but I do them by mail, I'm too cheap to pay for those e-files.
nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 03:28 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
My Vanguard brokerage 1099 was just made available yesterday.

Although I worry a bit about identity scammers, I also worry about 1099 corrections. Vanguard has been good in the regard. E*Trade was a nightmare back 10 years ago or so. I had up to 3 corrections, some past April 15. I'd almost always get a correction around April 1. So, after being forced to submit amended returns, I got in the habit of waiting.

BTW, it may not have completely been E*Trade. I could have been some ETF I was holding that was lax in reporting properly. When I primarily moved to VG around 2010, I consolidated quite a bit and got rid of odd ETFs I was holding.
I get corrected 1099 most years. I always wait for that per the schedule. It is based more on investments held than brokerages.
Montecfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 03:35 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My son's was e-filed Sunday and I noticed it was accepted yesterday. Not sure exactly when since I did it as a friends and family via the AARP Tax Aide program where I volunteer.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 03:42 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I guess I’m the only one who didn’t get acceptance in a day or so. Wonder if it’s because I had a ZERO balance - small refund I just applied to 2021, first time I’ve done that.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 20% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 03:46 PM   #26

I emailed my deceased mother's return to the IRS at 11.41am this morning and received notice that it had been accepted at 11:45.
Old 02-16-2021, 03:51 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I guess Iím the only one who didnít get acceptance in a day or so. Wonder if itís because I had a ZERO balance - small refund I just applied to 2021, first time Iíve done that.
Shouldn't be. I've got a return like that which I'll have filed in the next day or two. If I remember to I'll come back to this thread Thursday and post an update.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 04:36 PM   #28

Quote:
Iím a little anxious having my return in the ether, with fake return scammers out there, but nothing I can do and I understand the IRS predicament. Fingers crossed...
I wouldn't worry about it. If the IRS isn't processing your return, they're not processing the scammer's either.
Old 02-16-2021, 05:17 PM   #29

I efiled my DM's return with HRBlock software a few days before the 12th. Around 1am on the 13th I received the confirmation that the return has been accepted by the IRS along with the submission number documenting this.

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 06:06 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I guess Iím the only one who didnít get acceptance in a day or so. Wonder if itís because I had a ZERO balance - small refund I just applied to 2021, first time Iíve done that.
I don't know? I was pretty close too, and only owed the IRS $93. My hypothesis is that they were swamped, and you were just the random person who got bumped back. Maybe you'll get the acceptance email tomorrow.
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 06:44 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I don't know? I was pretty close too, and only owed the IRS $93. My hypothesis is that they were swamped, and you were just the random person who got bumped back. Maybe you'll get the acceptance email tomorrow.
Exactly. Why is this an issue? Paper return guy here. Fed return received with zero due. By no fault of mine I'm due $436 from the state which is to be deposited tomorrow. Why all the fuss? Plan ahead and be sure you don't have a refund. Beyond that who cares? If you really owe taxes they'll contact you. That's part of the joy of being retired.
Old 02-16-2021, 08:46 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Efiled back in January. I will have to ask my ex if he got confirmation that it was accepted.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 08:58 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

I e-filed Jan 31st via TurboTax. Received an email saying something about being an early bird and estimated acceptance would be Feb 12th. Fed return was accepted Feb 11th and state was Feb 12th.

(Did you check your spam filter? Doesn't seem right that you didn't receive your acceptance email.)
Morgan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 07:12 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

I efiled with TT on the 12th and got a Federal acceptance on Saturday or Sunday. My DC filing appears to be in limbo. I have a VG brokerage account and the 1099s were available earlier than I expected. Maybe that's because I have mutual funds and no ETFs.
Old 02-17-2021, 09:48 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Morgan, it’s set to my ex’s email so I will ask him. The refund is going to my account. This is the last year we will jointly file.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 10:25 AM   #36

eFiled and accepted on the 12th.
Tadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 12:09 PM   #37
Full time employment: Posting here.

I eFiled using H & R, and it took 8 days to receive an email saying my return was accepted at the IRS. I planned to print and mail a hard copy sometime in March if I wasn't notified of it's acceptance. I've used H & R for several years and this was the first time there was any delay at all.
Old 02-17-2021, 12:50 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
I eFiled using H & R, and it took 8 days to receive an email saying my return was accepted at the IRS. I planned to print and mail a hard copy sometime in March if I wasn't notified of it's acceptance. I've used H & R for several years and this was the first time there was any delay at all.
There may not have been a delay. You got an IRS acceptance 8 days after you filed with H&R but IRS only began accepting files 5 days ago. You may have missed the part where H&R said they would hold the file until 2/12 and then file with IRS.
Old 02-17-2021, 01:31 PM   #39

Well, this is not going to be of much help to the OP, but I e-filed both my Federal and State taxes at 9:38 this morning, courtesy of Turbo Tax. At 10:06, I received a notification that my Federal return had been accepted. The notification about the state return followed at 10:36. All over within a little less than an hour.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 01:42 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

I filed the afternoon of the 12th. Both state and fed were accepted that afternoon. Received my state refund (AZ) this morning. Fed, I owe $
erkevin is offline   Reply With Quote