eFile acceptance - IRS bogged down...

E-filed federal and NC return at 12:37 pm today. Federal return accepted at 1:06 pm. 29 minutes!

NC return accepted at 4:45 pm. 4 hours 8 minutes.

Pretty good.

Did your return include Form 1116 for foreign tax credits? There are several threads on the Bogleheads talking about returns not being accepted due to an issue with Form 1116.
Yes I did. Form 1116 was the last one TT released that applied to me, but they thought it was good to go by Feb 12th.

Yes I did. Form 1116 was the last one TT released that applied to me, but they thought it was good to go by Feb 12th.

I had a Form 1116 too.

Please post here if your accepted return had a Form 1116. I plan to call Turbo Tax tomorrow - not looking forward to the long wait on hold.

I had a Form 1116 too.

Please post here if your accepted return had a Form 1116. I plan to call Turbo Tax tomorrow - not looking forward to the long wait on hold.
I've called today and you can't get past the phone tree, I assume there is no support on Sundays (they should just say that instead of hiding behind the phone tree).

9 days waiting, and it's clear Intuit is the hold up, the IRS hasn't seen my return yet.

Filed yesterday and got Fed and GA approval within a few hours. Had foreign tax credit but it was under $600 so no form 1116.

I efiled my Dad's taxes two weeks ago and he already has his refund. I was shocked when I saw it in his checking account.

Did your return include Form 1116 for foreign tax credits? There are several threads on the Bogleheads talking about returns not being accepted due to an issue with Form 1116.
Found the thread, and that may be my problem. I've had to file a Form 1116 for the last several years, but never had a problem with eFiling - but that doesn't mean there couldn't be a glitch this year. I just wish Intuit/TT would at least acknowledge if that's the issue - after 9 days!

Last edited:
I efile using Turbotax, did it around 2/8, they did have an alert that the IRS weren't officially accepting/processing until 2/14. Got an acceptance alert strangely on 2/12, and my refund is now shown as pending in my checking account, will clear tomorrow (2/22).
I have no special forms (no foreign tax) other than basic investment stuff and an RMD.

I guess we'll wait a while. Form 2210 is not ready for filing yet any - TT says it will be updated 2/25.

From reading the Booglehead thread, sounds like the issue is at TT. Or the eFile is not getting to the IRS, but it may be the IRS not accepting from 1116 at the moment, so may take a while to resolve.

We've eFiled form 1116 in most prior years with TT and no problems. Something new popped up this year!

In my case, and many others with Form 1116's, that was the holdup. It finally rejected my return, and let me re eFile. Fingers crossed.

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 34
I got the reject message too.

Midpack - If you're comfortable with it, please elaborate on what you did to fix it if your eFile goes through.

I went through the "Deductions & Credits/Foreign Taxes" portion & didn't need to make any changes. Ran the review checks again & TT found no error.

I don't see the point in re-filing now if there is no change to the return. I"ll wait for a couple of weeks to see if TT updates to find the error that caused the rejection.

Last edited:
I got the reject message too.
Midpack - If you're comfortable with it, please elaborate on what you did to fix it if your eFile goes through. I'll take a look at this tomorrow & share what I find too.
It's easier if you just go into TT20 and follow the step-by-step instructions. I went thru the FTC step-by-step section and answered all the questions again, reran analysis and error checking (error free again) and it allowed me to re eFile. I'll post here if it's accepted by the IRS this time.

In my case, and many others with Form 1116's, that was the holdup. It finally rejected my return, and let me re eFile. Fingers crossed.

Thanks much for the update! Please let us know how it gets resolved.

It's easier if you just go into TT20 and follow the step-by-step instructions. I went thru the FTC step-by-step section and answered all the questions again, reran analysis and error checking (error free again) and it allowed me to re eFile. I'll post here if it's accepted by the IRS this time.

I went through the "Deductions & Credits/Foreign Taxes" portion & didn't need to make any changes. Ran the review checks again & TT found no error.

I don't see the point in re-filing now if there is no change to the return. I"ll wait for a couple of weeks to see if TT updates to find the error that caused the rejection.

Thanks much for the update! Please let us know how it gets resolved.

TT confirmed I eFiled at 2:48pm, and the IRS accepted at 3:27. I compared my 2/12 and 2/19 Form 1116 side by side - identical, so nothing apparent. I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume it was something in the transmission coding that I can’t see (if anything). All I know is my return was accepted quickly this time.

Last edited:
It was a known issue that the IRS was rejecting e-filings that had a form 1116 without an explicit country code.

Good news to hear that you got yours accepted. I assume that means they finally fixed the issue on the IRS server side.

Got my refund

E filed TurboTax 1/28/21, accepted by the IRS 2/12/2021 and refund put in my checking account 2/20/2021. The IRS computers seem to work excellent in my case. I got all my Vanguard and non Vanguard 1099's by 1/28/2021.

It was a known issue that the IRS was rejecting e-filings that had a form 1116 without an explicit country code.

Good news to hear that you got yours accepted. I assume that means they finally fixed the issue on the IRS server side.
Intuit says they never submitted the return, so how is that an issue on the IRS server side? Thanks for letting us know it was a form 1116 issue after the fact.

Intuit says they never submitted the return, so how is that an issue on the IRS server side? Thanks for letting us know it was a form 1116 issue after the fact.

I missed that. I thought Intuit told you the return was rejected. That would be the IRS servers rejecting their submission.

The Form 1116 issue has been discussed in a few threads here, and fairly extensively on bogleheads. The specific rejection criteria was discussed in the context of another software package, but if it's on the IRS side, I assume it applies to all software.

Nice to hear some reasons and resolution on this! Congrats Midpack, no more limbo.

TT confirmed I eFiled at 2:48pm, and the IRS accepted at 3:27. I compared my 2/12 and 2/19 Form 1116 side by side - identical, so nothing apparent. I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume it was something in the transmission coding that I can’t see (if anything). All I know is my return was accepted quickly this time.

Thanks Midpack.

I filed mine this morning and it was accepted. Quite a relief.

Our fed refund was deposited Friday and state today. Normally I owe but the stimulus threw off my calc a little and they owed us this year which is rare.

Back
Top Bottom