eFile acceptance - IRS bogged down...

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Not a surprise, I eFiled Federal on Friday (first tax day) and the confirmation message as always said I should have acceptance in 24 to 48 hours. In years past I had acceptance in less than 24 hours IIRC. This year, I’m at 96 hours and still waiting.

But I know the IRS got way behind with Covid lockdowns, and I assume they still haven’t recovered, maybe far from it. I’m a little anxious having my return in the ether, with fake return scammers out there, but nothing I can do and I understand the IRS predicament. Fingers crossed...

[EDIT: Just found this]
Should You Call the IRS?

Expect delays if you mailed a paper return or had to respond to an IRS inquiry about your e-filed return. You should only call if it has been:

• 21 days or more since you e-filed
  • "Where's My Refund" tells you to contact the IRS
Do not file a second tax return.

Last edited:
I did my taxes on February 4th, and TurboTax e-filed them and told me everything would happen on the 12th. They were right! Both federal and state were accepted at that time.

I guess I'm lucky?

+1 e-filed on 2/12 at 11:06 am. Federal return accepted 2/13 4:08pm and state return accepted 2/13 8:47 pm.

I always assumed that efile was completely automated so I’m not sure how COVID would cause it to get behind.

I finished mine on Saturday and e-filed, and it was accepted later that day.

H&R Block won't let me file because a form isn't finalized from the IRS yet and their update for that isn't until the 18th. It is Form 2210-Underpayment Penalty. My wife applied for SS in October, back dated to February, so was paid for 10 months of SS in December. IRS forms indicate we underpaid and owe a penalty. It's not much, $17 I think. But now H&R block won't let me just pay the fine and move on, they insist on two things; That for 2210 be completed first and that I file an extension until the form is available. Geez!
I think I'll just transfer everything from H&R to CreditKarma. CK doesn't charge to e-file federal or state and I'm sure they'll let me decide if I want to request special consideration for underpaying my taxes for last year.

I did my taxes on February 4th, and TurboTax e-filed them and told me everything would happen on the 12th. They were right! Both federal and state were accepted at that time.

I guess I'm lucky?

Sounds like there might have been a pile of early filers that the IRS had to get through before current filers.

I e-file my TurboTax return on Mon 2/1. Even got an email acknowledgement from them "Welcome to the front of the line. Way to be an early bird....". Just checked and the TurboTax system shows my status as "Pending" "The IRS may have delayed processing of returns. Check back in 48 hours."

+1 e-filed on 2/12 at 11:06 am. Federal return accepted 2/13 4:08pm and state return accepted 2/13 8:47 pm.

I finished mine on Saturday and e-filed, and it was accepted later that day.
Hmmmmm. I eFiled with TurboTax, wonder why mine wasn’t accepted as quickly. First time I’ve ever waited this long for eFile acceptance. The same day email said estimated acceptance of 2/14? I snail mailed my state return.

Last edited:
E-filed TT Federal 2/12,return went right through. 2/13 had a message that my return was not accepted, check with TT. It seems that TT filed my 2019 AGI wrong as a security check from last years TT return. TT lets you refile and fed was accepted in 15 min. I snail mail my state.

How do you file so early? No brokerage accounts?
I have brokerage accounts, got all my 1099’s in January. Auto upload probably isn’t available yet but I don’t wait on that if that’s all I’m missing.

How do you file so early? No brokerage accounts?

In my case I only had one trade (Long term covered Box D)and I knew exactly what the brokerage 1099-B would say. I am a little obsessive on tracking the dividends also...

I have brokerage accounts, got all my 1099’s in January. Auto upload probably isn’t available yet but I don’t wait on that if that’s all I’m missing.

Mailing deadline for 1099B was Feb 15.

E-Trade and Wells Fargo just issued first cut of 1099B yesterday. No mail received yet.

E-Trade and Wells Fargo just issued first cut of 1099B yesterday. No mail received yet.

They are always allowed to request an extension of that date. I'd much rather get them a little late than to get a corrected one much later.

Fido had mine on the 13th, and Schwab says they will have it on the 19th.

I had all mine from Vanguard by 1/19.

Attachments

• C8872722-B2EC-4A30-9BDA-F266A90D1665.jpg
    C8872722-B2EC-4A30-9BDA-F266A90D1665.jpg
    343.9 KB · Views: 51
My Vanguard brokerage 1099 was just made available yesterday.

Although I worry a bit about identity scammers, I also worry about 1099 corrections. Vanguard has been good in the regard. E*Trade was a nightmare back 10 years ago or so. I had up to 3 corrections, some past April 15. I'd almost always get a correction around April 1. So, after being forced to submit amended returns, I got in the habit of waiting.

BTW, it may not have completely been E*Trade. I could have been some ETF I was holding that was lax in reporting properly. When I primarily moved to VG around 2010, I consolidated quite a bit and got rid of odd ETFs I was holding.

Just found this...
Should You Call the IRS?

Expect delays if you mailed a paper return or had to respond to an IRS inquiry about your e-filed return. You should only call if it has been:

• 21 days or more since you e-filed
  • "Where's My Refund" tells you to contact the IRS
Do not file a second tax return.

I e-filed Fed on 10th or 11th, don't recall for sure, I got notified Sat morn it was accepted. Still have to do states but I do them by mail, I'm too cheap to pay for those e-files.

My Vanguard brokerage 1099 was just made available yesterday.

Although I worry a bit about identity scammers, I also worry about 1099 corrections. Vanguard has been good in the regard. E*Trade was a nightmare back 10 years ago or so. I had up to 3 corrections, some past April 15. I'd almost always get a correction around April 1. So, after being forced to submit amended returns, I got in the habit of waiting.

BTW, it may not have completely been E*Trade. I could have been some ETF I was holding that was lax in reporting properly. When I primarily moved to VG around 2010, I consolidated quite a bit and got rid of odd ETFs I was holding.

I get corrected 1099 most years. I always wait for that per the schedule. It is based more on investments held than brokerages.

My son's was e-filed Sunday and I noticed it was accepted yesterday. Not sure exactly when since I did it as a friends and family via the AARP Tax Aide program where I volunteer.

I guess I’m the only one who didn’t get acceptance in a day or so. Wonder if it’s because I had a ZERO balance - small refund I just applied to 2021, first time I’ve done that.

Back
Top Bottom