eFile acceptance - IRS bogged down...

I emailed my deceased mother's return to the IRS at 11.41am this morning and received notice that it had been accepted at 11:45.

I guess I’m the only one who didn’t get acceptance in a day or so. Wonder if it’s because I had a ZERO balance - small refund I just applied to 2021, first time I’ve done that.

Shouldn't be. I've got a return like that which I'll have filed in the next day or two. If I remember to I'll come back to this thread Thursday and post an update.

I’m a little anxious having my return in the ether, with fake return scammers out there, but nothing I can do and I understand the IRS predicament. Fingers crossed...

I wouldn't worry about it. If the IRS isn't processing your return, they're not processing the scammer's either.:)

I efiled my DM's return with HRBlock software a few days before the 12th. Around 1am on the 13th I received the confirmation that the return has been accepted by the IRS along with the submission number documenting this.

-gauss

I guess I’m the only one who didn’t get acceptance in a day or so. Wonder if it’s because I had a ZERO balance - small refund I just applied to 2021, first time I’ve done that.

I don't know? I was pretty close too, and only owed the IRS $93. My hypothesis is that they were swamped, and you were just the random person who got bumped back. Maybe you'll get the acceptance email tomorrow.

I don't know? I was pretty close too, and only owed the IRS $93. My hypothesis is that they were swamped, and you were just the random person who got bumped back. Maybe you'll get the acceptance email tomorrow.

Exactly. Why is this an issue? Paper return guy here. Fed return received with zero due. By no fault of mine I'm due $436 from the state which is to be deposited tomorrow. Why all the fuss? Plan ahead and be sure you don't have a refund. Beyond that who cares? If you really owe taxes they'll contact you. That's part of the joy of being retired.

Last edited:
Efiled back in January. I will have to ask my ex if he got confirmation that it was accepted.

I e-filed Jan 31st via TurboTax. Received an email saying something about being an early bird and estimated acceptance would be Feb 12th. Fed return was accepted Feb 11th and state was Feb 12th.

(Did you check your spam filter? Doesn't seem right that you didn't receive your acceptance email.)

I efiled with TT on the 12th and got a Federal acceptance on Saturday or Sunday. My DC filing appears to be in limbo. I have a VG brokerage account and the 1099s were available earlier than I expected. Maybe that's because I have mutual funds and no ETFs.

Morgan, it’s set to my ex’s email so I will ask him. The refund is going to my account. This is the last year we will jointly file.

I eFiled using H & R, and it took 8 days to receive an email saying my return was accepted at the IRS. I planned to print and mail a hard copy sometime in March if I wasn't notified of it's acceptance. I've used H & R for several years and this was the first time there was any delay at all.

I eFiled using H & R, and it took 8 days to receive an email saying my return was accepted at the IRS. I planned to print and mail a hard copy sometime in March if I wasn't notified of it's acceptance. I've used H & R for several years and this was the first time there was any delay at all.
There may not have been a delay. You got an IRS acceptance 8 days after you filed with H&R but IRS only began accepting files 5 days ago. You may have missed the part where H&R said they would hold the file until 2/12 and then file with IRS.

Well, this is not going to be of much help to the OP, but I e-filed both my Federal and State taxes at 9:38 this morning, courtesy of Turbo Tax. At 10:06, I received a notification that my Federal return had been accepted. The notification about the state return followed at 10:36. All over within a little less than an hour.

I filed the afternoon of the 12th. Both state and fed were accepted that afternoon. Received my state refund (AZ) this morning. Fed, I owe $

I gotta wait. FIDO informed me that my 1099s would not be available until 12 March (although some on here have already gotten theirs) . My K-1 will not be available until 15 March (hopefully no correction this year) If nothing else, it give my tax software (TaxAct) time to update their forms. :facepalm:

I e-file my TurboTax return on Mon 2/1. Even got an email acknowledgement from them "Welcome to the front of the line. Way to be an early bird....". Just checked and the TurboTax system shows my status as "Pending" "The IRS may have delayed processing of returns. Check back in 48 hours."

Just got an email from TT to re-check my status since it was rejected by Feds. It appears that TT had a bug in Early Feb version of TT involving stock sales. They acknownledged it was there problem and that I should just re-transmit the return (they internally changed the status to allow it to be re-posted)

Grateful for this thread. Had my ex check and it was in spam. It was rejected and he fixed the issue and resubmitted. Thanks everyone:)).

I never got an acceptance notification on Federal last year. Didn’t get one when I filed today. The refund showed up last year in under a week, so I’m hopeful.

Update. After reading the post above I checked my spam folder. It was in there.

Last edited:
Just filed Federal through TaxAct. Within 2 minutes received confirmation that it was accepted by the IRS with direct deposit payment within 21 days. YMMV

Just filed Federal through TaxAct. Within 2 minutes received confirmation that it was accepted by the IRS with direct deposit payment within 21 days. YMMV

I filed via HRB software today at 1435 CST. Accepted at 1438 EST (screwed up and have a small refund).

Filed H&R Block today and accepted 10 minutes later. Same with last year and the year before that.

It’s now been one full week since I filed, still no IRS acceptance :confused:

Nothing I can find to do about it looking at TT and IRS websites. They both say “wait 24 hours...”

Last edited:
And I assume you had already checked your spam folder. Or if you log into TurboTax it shows still waiting status or something like that.

And I assume you had already checked your spam folder. Or if you log into TurboTax it shows still waiting status or something like that.
Yes and yes. Nothing in junk or trash, and still shows pending in TT. IRS Where’s my refund just returns no information. TT email said we’ll let you know as soon as we know. And of course these days talking to anyone live at TT or IRS is almost out of the question...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom