Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-17-2021, 12:48 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

I gotta wait. FIDO informed me that my 1099s would not be available until 12 March (although some on here have already gotten theirs) . My K-1 will not be available until 15 March (hopefully no correction this year) If nothing else, it give my tax software (TaxAct) time to update their forms.
Lawrencewendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2021, 12:51 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomedaySoon View Post
I e-file my TurboTax return on Mon 2/1. Even got an email acknowledgement from them "Welcome to the front of the line. Way to be an early bird....". Just checked and the TurboTax system shows my status as "Pending" "The IRS may have delayed processing of returns. Check back in 48 hours."
Just got an email from TT to re-check my status since it was rejected by Feds. It appears that TT had a bug in Early Feb version of TT involving stock sales. They acknownledged it was there problem and that I should just re-transmit the return (they internally changed the status to allow it to be re-posted)
SomedaySoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 03:54 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Grateful for this thread. Had my ex check and it was in spam. It was rejected and he fixed the issue and resubmitted. Thanks everyone).
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 07:11 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

I never got an acceptance notification on Federal last year. Didn’t get one when I filed today. The refund showed up last year in under a week, so I’m hopeful.

Update. After reading the post above I checked my spam folder. It was in there.
m3bs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 07:26 PM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just filed Federal through TaxAct. Within 2 minutes received confirmation that it was accepted by the IRS with direct deposit payment within 21 days. YMMV
Lawrencewendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 09:58 PM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrencewendall View Post
Just filed Federal through TaxAct. Within 2 minutes received confirmation that it was accepted by the IRS with direct deposit payment within 21 days. YMMV
I filed via HRB software today at 1435 CST. Accepted at 1438 EST (screwed up and have a small refund).
Old 02-19-2021, 12:25 AM   #47

Filed H&R Block today and accepted 10 minutes later. Same with last year and the year before that.
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 06:31 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

It’s now been one full week since I filed, still no IRS acceptance

Nothing I can find to do about it looking at TT and IRS websites. They both say “wait 24 hours...”

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 06:34 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

And I assume you had already checked your spam folder. Or if you log into TurboTax it shows still waiting status or something like that.
Old 02-19-2021, 06:37 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
And I assume you had already checked your spam folder. Or if you log into TurboTax it shows still waiting status or something like that.
Yes and yes. Nothing in junk or trash, and still shows pending in TT. IRS Where’s my refund just returns no information. TT email said we’ll let you know as soon as we know. And of course these days talking to anyone live at TT or IRS is almost out of the question...

Old 02-19-2021, 06:48 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Midpack, that stinks! Sorry to hear that for you.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 07:12 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

I'm continuing to have the same problem as Midpack on my state filing. State filing as not made until the Feds accept so that probably explains Midpack's state delay. My Fed was accepted quickly so I have no idea why the state remains pending. I guess I will wait until mid March and file with paper if nothing changes.
Old 02-19-2021, 07:15 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I'm continuing to have the same problem as Midpack on my state filing. State filing as not made until the Feds accept so that probably explains Midpack's state delay. My Fed was accepted quickly so I have no idea why the state remains pending. I guess I will wait until mid March and file with paper if nothing changes.
My Fed eFile return is delayed, my state was snail mail and I'm not worried about that. It's having my Fed eFile in a black hole that bothers me...I file early and hope for a quick acceptance to guard against return scammers.

Old 02-19-2021, 07:21 AM   #54

Midpack, sorry to hear of the problems. I hate stuff like that.

I'm dealing with a major annoyance myself. Yesterday, when I electronically submitted my mother's tax returns via TurboTax (desktop version), it was rejected because it says the IRS shows her social security number being for a DECEASED individual. Ugh.

My father passed away in 2017. Every year we have filed since then, my mother has had an issue filing. For 2017 and 2018, after MANY calls to the IRS, we thought we finally resolved the issue when the IRS found that someone had flagged my mother as deceased instead of my father. It was "Fixed" once, then showed back up the next year. So they "Fixed" it again. Then for 2019, they simply didn't process her $83 tax payment when she paid it in March 2020 and fined her and added interest to the amount due. They took her money from her bank, but didn't apply it to her account. We got that resolved in January 2021 so that her account was properly credited and fines/interest were rescinded. But we were never told what the reason it happened was.

Now with the recent revelation that they still have her flagged as deceased, I suspect that might have been the cause of the issue for 2019. Even though when we spoke with a person in January resolving the 2019 issue, she gave us no indication that any records showed Mom as deceased.

It is so frustrating to deal with these issues. Mom is 83 years old. She can't usually hear the phone conversations with the IRS. If she can hear it, she can't really follow along well enough to know what is being said. She could not do the process on her own. Fortunately, I'm there to help with all of this, but she stresses over it. Last year it was her owing $83, so not a lot of stress. This year, she has a $1300 refund coming that we now likely won't get to her for many months.

I'm going to file her returns by paper and I figure they will get put at the bottom of the Covid-processing-backup. I expect they will eventually contact us about the returns being for a deceased person.

I'm also going to contact the Taxpayer Advocate Service for assistance with this lingering issue. We have spent many, many hours on the phone with them and writing letters to try and resolve it. Our government bureaucracy at its finest.
PaunchyPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 07:31 AM   #55
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

PP, suggest you contact SS to see if they show your mom as deceased and if so, get that corrected (easier said than done, I know). Sounds like that may be the source of your mom's problem with the IRS.
Old 02-19-2021, 07:46 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
PP, suggest you contact SS to see if they show your mom as deceased and if so, get that corrected (easier said than done, I know). Sounds like that may be the source of your mom's problem with the IRS.
I think we will do that, just in case this year. That's actually what the TurboTax "help" topic said to do when the IRS thinks you're dead and you're not. I assume that SS does not think she is dead since they've been paying her monthly benefit without interruption. They properly raised her benefit when my father passed. And they send the annual SSA-1099 every year in January so she can file her taxes. She has an online account with SSA and everything looks fine there. So one would assume everything is alright in the SS systems. But when one "assumes"...
PaunchyPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 07:49 AM   #57

Just had 1099's and one small W2; filed with TT on 2/9, accepted by IRS 2/12. Got refund this morning!
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 08:03 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Finally decided to wait out a phone hold to talk with TT live. The reps supervisor said:

"We noticed something in your tax return that could have caused it to be rejected. We are doing an extra review to assess the reason it was flagged, resolve it for you, or identify what you need to do to ensure everything is accurate and your return is accepted.

We will send you an email within 48 hours with confirmation that your return has been filed, or instructions for any additional steps that need to be taken to ensure an accurate return is accepted, and you receive every dollar you deserve."

I've been waiting 7 days already (48 hours?) and the TT rep said she'd never seen an eFile in limbo this long. But they're (re)aware of me now, so I hope I'll get an email one way or another within 48 hours. There were no missing forms, or errors indicated on my final TT error check/review. I compared my 2020 return side by side with my 2019 return, basically identical (other than the numbers of course).

The rep also wondered if it was because my return was $0 - no refund, no amount owed - I've never done that before. [I had a refund that I applied fully to 2021 estimated taxes, net $0]

We'll see...

T

Old 02-19-2021, 08:07 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

I've filed with $0 refund for the last 4 years, applying my small refund to the next years tax payments.

Never had a problem with filing.

I didn't like that TurboTax would congratulate me for hitting the post like that. It would give me some message like "wow, this is rare" or something. Seriously? I just asked you to fill in the line to apply the refund to next year. That's not rare.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Late Bird gets results in two minutes
Old 02-19-2021, 12:16 PM   #60

Late Bird gets results in two minutes

This thread lit a fire under me, and I filed my taxes today. I've had them "done" since December, just waiting for the IRS to be ready. No hurry since I engineered it so the dollar amount is negligible. And now that the hackers need the previous year's AGI, I think the risk of getting hit with that scam is greatly reduced.

Anyway, the point is, the IRS accepted my return in 2 minutes, hehehe!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg quickacceptance.jpg (12.8 KB, 134 views)
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote