Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-21-2021, 09:07 AM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Filed yesterday and got Fed and GA approval within a few hours. Had foreign tax credit but it was under $600 so no form 1116.
GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2021, 09:20 AM   #82
Full time employment: Posting here.

I efiled my Dad's taxes two weeks ago and he already has his refund. I was shocked when I saw it in his checking account.
garyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 09:22 AM   #83
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlasShrugged View Post
Did your return include Form 1116 for foreign tax credits? There are several threads on the Bogleheads talking about returns not being accepted due to an issue with Form 1116.
Found the thread, and that may be my problem. I've had to file a Form 1116 for the last several years, but never had a problem with eFiling - but that doesn't mean there couldn't be a glitch this year. I just wish Intuit/TT would at least acknowledge if that's the issue - after 9 days!

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 10:04 AM   #84
Recycles dryer sheets

I efile using Turbotax, did it around 2/8, they did have an alert that the IRS weren't officially accepting/processing until 2/14. Got an acceptance alert strangely on 2/12, and my refund is now shown as pending in my checking account, will clear tomorrow (2/22).
I have no special forms (no foreign tax) other than basic investment stuff and an RMD.
Old 02-21-2021, 10:17 AM   #85
Give me a forum ...

I guess we'll wait a while. Form 2210 is not ready for filing yet any - TT says it will be updated 2/25.

From reading the Booglehead thread, sounds like the issue is at TT. Or the eFile is not getting to the IRS, but it may be the IRS not accepting from 1116 at the moment, so may take a while to resolve.

We've eFiled form 1116 in most prior years with TT and no problems. Something new popped up this year!
Old 02-21-2021, 12:52 PM   #86
Give me a forum ...

In my case, and many others with Form 1116's, that was the holdup. It finally rejected my return, and let me re eFile. Fingers crossed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture1.jpg (112.2 KB, 33 views)

Old 02-21-2021, 12:58 PM   #87

I got the reject message too.

Midpack - If you're comfortable with it, please elaborate on what you did to fix it if your eFile goes through.

I went through the "Deductions & Credits/Foreign Taxes" portion & didn't need to make any changes. Ran the review checks again & TT found no error.

I don't see the point in re-filing now if there is no change to the return. I"ll wait for a couple of weeks to see if TT updates to find the error that caused the rejection.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 01:03 PM   #88
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
I got the reject message too.
Midpack - If you're comfortable with it, please elaborate on what you did to fix it if your eFile goes through. I'll take a look at this tomorrow & share what I find too.
It's easier if you just go into TT20 and follow the step-by-step instructions. I went thru the FTC step-by-step section and answered all the questions again, reran analysis and error checking (error free again) and it allowed me to re eFile. I'll post here if it's accepted by the IRS this time.

Old 02-21-2021, 01:07 PM   #89
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
In my case, and many others with Form 1116's, that was the holdup. It finally rejected my return, and let me re eFile. Fingers crossed.
Thanks much for the update! Please let us know how it gets resolved.
Old 02-21-2021, 01:23 PM   #90

Quote:
It's easier if you just go into TT20 and follow the step-by-step instructions. I went thru the FTC step-by-step section and answered all the questions again, reran analysis and error checking (error free again) and it allowed me to re eFile. I'll post here if it's accepted by the IRS this time.

I went through the "Deductions & Credits/Foreign Taxes" portion & didn't need to make any changes. Ran the review checks again & TT found no error.

I don't see the point in re-filing now if there is no change to the return. I"ll wait for a couple of weeks to see if TT updates to find the error that caused the rejection.
Old 02-21-2021, 01:35 PM   #91
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Thanks much for the update! Please let us know how it gets resolved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post

TT confirmed I eFiled at 2:48pm, and the IRS accepted at 3:27. I compared my 2/12 and 2/19 Form 1116 side by side - identical, so nothing apparent. I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume it was something in the transmission coding that I can’t see (if anything). All I know is my return was accepted quickly this time.

Old 02-21-2021, 01:41 PM   #92

It was a known issue that the IRS was rejecting e-filings that had a form 1116 without an explicit country code.

Good news to hear that you got yours accepted. I assume that means they finally fixed the issue on the IRS server side.
twaddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Got my refund
Old 02-21-2021, 01:49 PM   #93
Recycles dryer sheets

Got my refund

E filed TurboTax 1/28/21, accepted by the IRS 2/12/2021 and refund put in my checking account 2/20/2021. The IRS computers seem to work excellent in my case. I got all my Vanguard and non Vanguard 1099's by 1/28/2021.
Tom57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 02:07 PM   #94
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by twaddle View Post
It was a known issue that the IRS was rejecting e-filings that had a form 1116 without an explicit country code.

Good news to hear that you got yours accepted. I assume that means they finally fixed the issue on the IRS server side.
Intuit says they never submitted the return, so how is that an issue on the IRS server side? Thanks for letting us know it was a form 1116 issue after the fact.

Old 02-21-2021, 02:12 PM   #95

Quote:
Intuit says they never submitted the return, so how is that an issue on the IRS server side? Thanks for letting us know it was a form 1116 issue after the fact.
I missed that. I thought Intuit told you the return was rejected. That would be the IRS servers rejecting their submission.

The Form 1116 issue has been discussed in a few threads here, and fairly extensively on bogleheads. The specific rejection criteria was discussed in the context of another software package, but if it's on the IRS side, I assume it applies to all software.
twaddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 02:50 PM   #96
Give me a forum ...

Nice to hear some reasons and resolution on this! Congrats Midpack, no more limbo.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 02:53 PM   #97
Recycles dryer sheets

I filed yesterday with the TurboTax down load product and the IRS accepted my fed in about an hour and same with my AZ filing. FWIW
Old 02-21-2021, 03:33 PM   #98

Quote:
TT confirmed I eFiled at 2:48pm, and the IRS accepted at 3:27. I compared my 2/12 and 2/19 Form 1116 side by side - identical, so nothing apparent. I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume it was something in the transmission coding that I can’t see (if anything). All I know is my return was accepted quickly this time.

Thanks Midpack.
Old 02-22-2021, 11:51 AM   #99

Quote:

I filed mine this morning and it was accepted. Quite a relief.
Old 02-23-2021, 03:50 PM   #100

Our fed refund was deposited Friday and state today. Normally I owe but the stimulus threw off my calc a little and they owed us this year which is rare.
kgtest is offline   Reply With Quote