Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2017, 09:14 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
NW-Bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 29,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by gayl View Post
More expensive doesn't always mean better...
I think more expensive stuff is usually better. However, it's diminishing return, and my palate which gets dull with age may not appreciate finer things. And I care less and less about stuff.

Come to think of it, I have not had a drop of hard booze in a couple of months. My blood pressure was higher than normal when I came back from a long trip (I drank more on the trip), so I have been drinking just a small glass of wine each day.

Still would like to have an 8-figure stash, for the joy of seeing it on the Quicken screen.

PS. A guy needs a challenge. I want to prove to myself that I am a successful investor. It's not really different than someone who aspires to climb a mountain. Even if I do not reach 8 figures, making progress along the way makes me feel good.
__________________
"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2017, 09:49 AM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
CaliKid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Cali
Posts: 1,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45th Birthday View Post
Simply false. Estimates are that only 20-30% of wealthy people inherited it.
I would think the majority of people with 8 figures had some significant inheritance to give them a boost. I know I did. In my case I received about $250k at age 18. The inheritance helped me in a few ways: 1) no school debt (college or grad school), 2) able to buy real estate at a younger age, and 3) start saving at a younger age (started IRA at age 18). I received a much more significant inheritance 30 years later but by then I had built up about $2m. Though most of that $2m was from our hard work it was that early leg up which enabled us to build to that level.
__________________
______________________
Hoping to get out around September 1, 2022... I hope, I hope, I hope. Until then off to work I go....
CaliKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:11 AM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Midpack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NC
Posts: 17,093
Quote:
But for net worth, the 1 percent threshold for net worth in the Fed data was nearly $8.4 million, or 69 times the median household’s net holdings of $121,000.
https://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2...th-not-income/

And from another source https://dqydj.com/net-worth-in-the-u...-top-centiles/

__________________
No one agrees with other people's opinions; they merely agree with their own opinions -- expressed by somebody else. Sydney Tremayne
Retired Jun 2011 at age 57

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 20% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:16 AM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
NW-Bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 29,850
My children got a pretty good start. They got their college education with no debt. I helped my daughter with the purchase of her 1st home when I saw ridiculous prices after the housing bubble burst. Now that she is married and has a larger home, she sold the townhome for 2x the purchase price (it is still 20% below what the previous owner paid).

My son after just a few years working already got $100K saved up, and we also helped him when he bought his 1st home.

And then, when we croak it is likely we will leave them a decent sum. I do not want to give them too much right now, as they must learn to manage money first.

My parents, when their fortune changed, did not have much to give me and my siblings other than a desire to do well. Still, we are all doing well. I don't envy people who get a big inheritance, because I am doing quite OK by myself.
__________________
"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:56 AM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Treasure Coast
Posts: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliKid View Post
I would think the majority of people with 8 figures had some significant inheritance to give them a boost. I know I did. In my case I received about $250k at age 18. The inheritance helped me in a few ways: 1) no school debt (college or grad school), 2) able to buy real estate at a younger age, and 3) start saving at a younger age (started IRA at age 18). I received a much more significant inheritance 30 years later but by then I had built up about $2m. Though most of that $2m was from our hard work it was that early leg up which enabled us to build to that level.
To steal a line from someone else on this site, the plural of anecdote is not data. Nor is opinion fact.
45th Birthday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:19 PM   #66
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
CaliKid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Cali
Posts: 1,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45th Birthday View Post
To steal a line from someone else on this site, the plural of anecdote is not data. Nor is opinion fact.
I am also an estate planning attorney who has worked with thousands of clients. So not fact but more than just a wild guess.
__________________
______________________
Hoping to get out around September 1, 2022... I hope, I hope, I hope. Until then off to work I go....
CaliKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:29 PM   #67
Dryer sheet wannabe
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 18
I hit the 8 figure mark today. Was a little emotional for me. Emailed my financial advisor and she said "congratulations, but don't expect it to stay there, be prepared for it to go down soon". Since I can't touch that money for another 6 years I'm not really worried.
Blue Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:42 PM   #68
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
flintnational's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Atlanta Suburb
Posts: 1,499
Congratulations! Great milestone.

I just did the math. If the market will just do what it did yesterday (+1%) for 100+ more trading days, I will be there with you. Gotta love exponential growth.

FN
__________________
"Oh, twice as much ain't twice as good
And can't sustain like one half could
It's wanting more that's gonna send me to my knees" - John Mayer
flintnational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 01:04 PM   #69
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
calmloki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Independence
Posts: 6,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I think more expensive stuff is usually better. However, it's diminishing return, and my palate which gets dull with age may not appreciate finer things. And I care less and less about stuff.

Come to think of it, I have not had a drop of hard booze in a couple of months. My blood pressure was higher than normal when I came back from a long trip (I drank more on the trip), so I have been drinking just a small glass of wine each day.

Still would like to have an 8-figure stash, for the joy of seeing it on the Quicken screen.

PS. A guy needs a challenge. I want to prove to myself that I am a successful investor. It's not really different than someone who aspires to climb a mountain. Even if I do not reach 8 figures, making progress along the way makes me feel good.
Thought your son had come up with a brandy that was tops in your taste test but quite economical? And you didn't divulge the brand... tend to remember that kind of thing.. Now should you choose to share that information I miight even buy some when we get down to the land of the cheap booze California.

Edit: can't shop today - we've been approaching a $500,000 step. Playing silly games like making sure the quarterly checks are dated the 15th, checking all accounts for loan or rent payments. Yeterday the market kicked us within a few hundred dollars of the mark - and social security deposits will carry us across. The market is making us rather breathless this morning..
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 01:10 PM   #70
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
euro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 1,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by flintnational View Post
Congratulations! Great milestone.

I just did the math. If the market will just do what it did yesterday (+1%) for 100+ more trading days, I will be there with you. Gotta love exponential growth.

FN
... unless, of course, it goes down by 1% the day before each of those 100 increases.....
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 01:37 PM   #71
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
powerplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,570
Congratulations! The eight figure club is a great milestone to achieve.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 02:02 PM   #72
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Koolau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Leeward Oahu
Posts: 6,628
Low seven figures here and not sure what I'd do if I had 8 figures. Realistically, there is virtually nothing I actually "want" that I don't have. True, my cars are old, my travel is coach (aka cattle car), I eat at Panda Express, and Spaghetti Factory and local mom and pop places (splurging at Outback occasionally). While I'd love to see what it would be like to be in the 8 figure club, I'm just not sure it would feel like much more than a "number" to me. I guess at some point (for me) I just decided I have enough. That's a good feeling no matter how many figures we have. YMMV and heartiest congratulations to OP!
__________________
Ko'olau's Law -

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 03:42 PM   #73
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
flintnational's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Atlanta Suburb
Posts: 1,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro View Post
... unless, of course, it goes down by 1% the day before each of those 100 increases.....
Yea, I guess I needed to add "consecutive" in front of the 100+ days.

FN
__________________
"Oh, twice as much ain't twice as good
And can't sustain like one half could
It's wanting more that's gonna send me to my knees" - John Mayer
flintnational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 03:54 PM   #74
Recycles dryer sheets
TOOLMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 240
Excellent job.

10M gets you in the 98% percentile if you are 55+ (2013 data).

I expected 10M it would get you in the 99% percentile.

https://dqydj.com/net-worth-by-age-c...united-states/
TOOLMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 03:57 PM   #75
Full time employment: Posting here.
txtig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Sugar Land
Posts: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by hesperus View Post
Did I already mention no children? lol.

Not having kids makes a big difference. I saw this sticker on the back of a car the other day. Made me laugh. IMG_0936.JPG
txtig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 05:40 PM   #76
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
NW-Bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 29,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Thought your son had come up with a brandy that was tops in your taste test but quite economical? And you didn't divulge the brand... tend to remember that kind of thing.. Now should you choose to share that information I miight even buy some when we get down to the land of the cheap booze California.

Edit: can't shop today - we've been approaching a $500,000 step. Playing silly games like making sure the quarterly checks are dated the 15th, checking all accounts for loan or rent payments. Yeterday the market kicked us within a few hundred dollars of the mark - and social security deposits will carry us across. The market is making us rather breathless this morning..
Ah, here's someone with a good memory. But so do I, and I do not recall saying that it was "tops", only surprisingly good for the price, and my palate may not be that great anyway.

This American brandy could be loaded with caramel. My son's palate is still very good for detecting caramel as he demonstrated in a blind test, where I could not. He was mainly proud of his discovery of this bargain, which I had to say tasted better than the bottom VS grade of imported Cognac slightly more expensive, or in the same price range.

I searched and found that post of mine. See below. Sorry Calmloki, but you can go to a Total Wine store, and bought quite a few of the inexpensive brandy that they have, and it will not cost but $100 altogether. You will have fun checking them out for yourself, and the ones that you do not like, you can always use to deglaze steak frying pans to make sauce.

But as mentioned, either American brandies are getting better or my palate is shot, but when I was in my 20s did not like them at all and now find them quite drinkable.

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ml#post1762490
__________________
"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 06:19 PM   #77
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
calmloki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Independence
Posts: 6,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Ah, here's someone with a good memory. But so do I, and I do not recall saying that it was "tops", only surprisingly good for the price, and my palate may not be that great anyway.

This American brandy could be loaded with caramel. My son's palate is still very good for detecting caramel as he demonstrated in a blind test, where I could not. He was mainly proud of his discovery of this bargain, which I had to say tasted better than the bottom VS grade of imported Cognac slightly more expensive, or in the same price range.

I searched and found that post of mine. See below. Sorry Calmloki, but you can go to a Total Wine store, and bought quite a few of the inexpensive brandy that they have, and it will not cost but $100 altogether. You will have fun checking them out for yourself, and the ones that you do not like, you can always use to deglaze steak frying pans to make sauce.

But as mentioned, either American brandies are getting better or my palate is shot, but when I was in my 20s did not like them at all and now find them quite drinkable.

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ml#post1762490
Sigh. My discerning palate identifies "white" and "red" most of the time in wine tests if I only peek a little. I did do the "buy a bunch of scotch and taste test them" adventure once - was primarily able to discern that Isle of Islay scotch tastes pretty much like burning tires smell. Maybe not all those who wander are lost - but some are.
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 06:56 PM   #78
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 581
Congrats. If my ex chooses to give me back her share, I'll be in that club with you.
__________________
Saved 8 figures by my mid-40's as a professional bubble-spotter. Beware...the Fed creates bubble after bubble after bubble.
RenoJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 07:04 PM   #79
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97guns View Post
I don't think I'll ever get there, I'm contempt being a member of the 7 figure club.
Ah, not so bad, no need to feel contempt . At worst perhaps modest shame.

Ha
__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Long road
Old 09-12-2017, 08:14 PM   #80
Recycles dryer sheets
pletal's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Tampa
Posts: 114
Long road

Congrats for hitting the eight figure club. Just hit little over 6.5 M worth of investable assets, 10 mil might be awhile. That's a lot of hamburgers !
pletal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Eight Warning Signs You Need to Fire Your Financial Advisor Nords FIRE and Money 6 05-13-2012 02:36 PM
62, eight days retired, loving it. RobertFrost Hi, I am... 14 07-17-2011 09:37 AM
Protecting an eight-year-old computer? Nords Other topics 42 08-06-2006 10:34 AM
Six months to go..Maybe eight honobob Hi, I am... 6 07-01-2006 10:56 PM
"Pieces Of Eight, *Pieces Of Eight" haha FIRE and Money 34 02-28-2005 05:46 PM

» Quick Links

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:29 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.