Join Early Retirement Today

eight figure club
Old 09-11-2017, 08:37 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to hesperus Send a message via AIM to hesperus Send a message via Yahoo to hesperus
eight figure club

I know it won't last with the market at highs like this, but total net worth just touched eight figures. The final push was certainly helped by our real estate (couple of homes and land), that have done remarkably well here in colorado the last few years. A bad day in the market and we're below again, but for us it was a milestone we had been trying to reach for a couple of years. We have been living below our means, and the extra saving/investing has paid off. Yes, it's just a number but nonetheless enjoying the moment
hesperus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2017, 08:42 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It's a great accomplishment for sure. The key, and it sounds like you know it, is living below your means. It doesn't matter how many figures you have if you live above your means. Keep up the good work!
Old 09-11-2017, 08:42 AM   #3

My goal is to get there by 70. It's probably an unrealistic stretch goal, unless there is another crash where I can buy a lot of cheap assets for cash and then get a quick rebound.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 08:43 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations!
......from one who will never achieve that.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 08:46 AM   #5

Send a message via ICQ to hesperus Send a message via AIM to hesperus Send a message via Yahoo to hesperus
now that that's out there, you could guess that I'm probably inviting a market crash
Old 09-11-2017, 08:48 AM   #6
gone traveling

Nice number to hit! Congratulation!
Luck_Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 08:49 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Wow!

Although that sure sounded like a whee.....
Old 09-11-2017, 08:49 AM   #8
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesperus View Post
now that that's out there, you could guess that I'm probably inviting a market crash
The trick is to turn it into a 5% or better cash flow.
Luck_Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 09:02 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

congrats solid!
Old 09-11-2017, 09:09 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Wow!

Although that sure sounded like a whee.....
That crossed my mind as I typed
Old 09-11-2017, 09:25 AM   #11

I calculated, if I work until 60 and keep my withdraw at 4% constant, I will be in the 8 figure club when I dies at 100. Maybe I should reserve two seats for my sons.
flyingaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 09:27 AM   #12

Congratulations from a poster stuck in the 7s
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 09:31 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck_Club View Post
The trick is to turn it into a 5% or better cash flow.
I will never get there, but at $10M, I would be OK with 3% WR. At $300K/year, life is quite comfy, even if it is not enough for a private jet.

It would be a bit less with that $10M including RE, and then there's tax, but I would try to manage.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 09:45 AM   #14
gone traveling

I don't think I'll ever get there, I'm contempt being a member of the 7 figure club, I think it's more figures than I'll ever need
97guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 09:47 AM   #15

Wow, I would say you are solidly in the top 1% (in the USA). Im solidly in the mid 7 figures, and I feel like Rockefeller. 8 figures would be obscene. But, I like that kind of obscene. Enjoy!
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 09:48 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Congratulations!

Our decision to ER probably cost us access to the 8-figure club (we might still make it according to FIREcalc, but it seems unlikely based on today's valuations). We were on track to get there sometime before full retirement age. But then we live pretty simple lives and we have no children. So it felt like an unnecessarily lofty goal and we pulled the plug early.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 09:52 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
Congratulations!

Our decision to ER probably cost us access to the 8-figure club (we might still make it according to FIREcalc, but it seems unlikely based on today's valuations). We were on track to get there sometime before full retirement age. But then we live pretty simple lives and we have no children. So it felt like an unnecessarily lofty goal and we pulled the plug early.
+1, With no children and if firecalc says Im good with a 3 % withdrawal for all my needs, anything above that is wasted excess.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 10:02 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesperus View Post
I know it won't last with the market at highs like this, but total net worth just touched eight figures.
Congrats on achieving a very cool milestone. Eight figures is something I'm hoping to reach one day, just for the psychological "wow" factor. FIRECalc says I have a decent shot at it in about 15 years. Will be a fun thing to celebrate if and when it happens.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 10:06 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
+1, With no children and if firecalc says Im good with a 3 % withdrawal for all my needs, anything above that is wasted excess.
Excess is in the eye of the beholder. Is a Louis XIII bottle wasted excess, or does one need to go to the level of 1 bottle/month?

Signed someone who has not bought even one.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 10:24 AM   #20
gone traveling

I'm eight figures too, but two of them are after the decimal point.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote