Join Early Retirement Today

Elan VISA security
Old 07-21-2017, 12:23 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Elan VISA security

We have a 2% cash back Elan VISA card; used to be a Fidelity VISA. Tonight we had to cancel it due to fraudulent transactions. Elan caught the transactions and we verified they were not ours, but this has happened at least half a dozen times over the last 2-3 years. We have cards from other issuers and have NEVER had to cancel any of them due to fraudulent transactions.

Does anyone else have this problem and does it seem unique to this particular card? We are getting tired of having to change card numbers so frequently.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2017, 12:55 AM   #2
gone traveling

Maybe your cc info is being repeatedly stolen at a gas station you are regularly using.

Gas station skimmer theft rising

Helena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 01:21 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
We have a 2% cash back Elan VISA card; used to be a Fidelity VISA. Tonight we had to cancel it due to fraudulent transactions. Elan caught the transactions and we verified they were not ours, but this has happened at least half a dozen times over the last 2-3 years. We have cards from other issuers and have NEVER had to cancel any of them due to fraudulent transactions.

Does anyone else have this problem and does it seem unique to this particular card? We are getting tired of having to change card numbers so frequently.
We had one incident with Elan. But I think I've had more problems from other card issuers in the past. Our Fidelity VISA is our most heavily used card, so it stands to reason that we would be most likely to be compromised on that card.
Old 07-21-2017, 01:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena View Post

Maybe your cc info is being repeatedly stolen at a gas station you are regularly using.

Gas station skimmer theft rising

Thanks but we never use this card at gas stations.
Old 07-21-2017, 02:51 AM   #5

I've had repeated fraudulent transactions with Discover and with Amazon's VISA.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:41 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

No different than the previous FIA card for me. Pretty regular mine gets stolen and used approx. every 6 months. No increase seen (yet).

The reason it is stolen so often for me is I use the card for absolutely EVERYTHING. You should see the look on the gas station guy's face when I put a $0.69 cup of coffee on the credit card. Hey - 2% is 2%!

It's actually not a very big deal for me each time. Account is credited back with any disputed charges, and a new card is overnighted (you have to tell them the 5-7 day return is "not acceptable" when on the phone with them) to me right away.

For me, its an acceptable inconvenience - I just plan for it.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:39 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I have the Fidelity Elan VISA and have not had a single problem since the switch from FIA, with whom I did have many problems, particularly with invasive fraud prevention rejections of my actual transactions.
TheRunningMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 07:35 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRunningMan View Post
I have the Fidelity Elan VISA and have not had a single problem since the switch from FIA, with whom I did have many problems, particularly with invasive fraud prevention rejections of my actual transactions.
+1000

FIA was the worst. For many months the let fraudulent activity through, after it had been reported to them!

Aero Mexico, I kept getting fraudulent activity from a closed FIA account and FIA kept charging my current account number!

I talked many times to their fraud department about why they accepted closed account numbers and never got an acceptable answer.

My belief is they were receiving paper transactions and knew they were invalid when they attempted to post them, but made the consumers dispute them. They probably had some folks pay.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 08:50 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I have both the 2% and 1.5% card from Elan thru Fidelity. I keep the 1.5% card as a backup that I have only used once when Fidelity switched to Elan so I could get over 5000 pts to get the cash out. A couple of months ago I got an alert that something was charged to the 1.5% card. I called the 800 number and was told it was an utility bill in Mexico. I told them I didn't make the charge and they cancelled the card and sent me a new one. Not sure how they got the number since the card hasn't been used since the switch over.
FIREd_2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 09:30 AM   #10

Surprised my Fidelity Visa hasn't melted from constant use - never had a fraudulent transaction with it though.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:41 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
It has nothing to do with the card. It is due to where you are using the card. It could be that the places you have used the card are getting hacked.

Be thankful that Elan caught the fraud.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 01:13 PM   #12

We've only had one incident of a fraudulent charge on a credit card and that was 15-20 years ago. DW's card was used to charge a storage room rental in Washington, D.C.

(Now that I wrote that they'll all be hacked tonight....)
Old 07-21-2017, 01:23 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
It has nothing to do with the card. It is due to where you are using the card. It could be that the places you have used the card are getting hacked.

Be thankful that Elan caught the fraud.
+1
Old 07-21-2017, 01:24 PM   #14

Back with FIA I periodically had a card replaced due to fraudulent charges. Not all the them, but several times. I have not had any since Elan took over. However, when I tried to book a event for a future vacation recently (overseas), they put a fraud alert and would not let me charge it until I called them and they verified who I was.

Really not much difference
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 01:42 PM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

do not have either FIA or Elan cards. My Capital One card had an attempt to fraudulently get cash once a couple years ago. Capital One agent grew suspicious since that was something I had never done with the card. So, she called me while having the person pretending to be me on another line. Obviously quite pleased with Capital One which I do use a lot. Agree with Senator, its not the card but where you use it. My suspicion, just based on intuition and the behavior of some of the employees there, is that it may have been the drug store I used to frequent. never have gone there since save once where I used cash.
mamadogmamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 01:46 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingybear View Post
Back with FIA I periodically had a card replaced due to fraudulent charges. Not all the them, but several times. I have not had any since Elan took over. However, when I tried to book a event for a future vacation recently (overseas), they put a fraud alert and would not let me charge it until I called them and they verified who I was.

Really not much difference
In most business like that there's established best practices. Many times it the external audit or compliance folks who drive it. You make a good point they're all reading from the same book. Some might be better at the implementation.
Old 07-21-2017, 01:49 PM   #17

I switched to the Fidelity/FIA 2% AMEX in 2013. The card was replaced 3 times due to fraudulent activity. Now with the Elan VISA, I'm on my 6th card. So, we've had 10 cards in 4 years. I know the exact number because they are all still set up for bill-pay in our Fidelity CMA.

Meanwhile, our AMEX Blue Cash has never had a fraudulent transaction. But we use it much less and only for groceries, gas, and drug stores. The Fidelity 2% card gets used for everything else including lots of online transactions. I attribute the high number of replacements to the fact that we use the card so frequently and at such a wide variety of merchants.

Not really much hassle... quick phone call, wait 2 days, change some online auto-pays for bills.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:58 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREmenow View Post

The reason it is stolen so often for me is I use the card for absolutely EVERYTHING. You should see the look on the gas station guy's face when I put a $0.69 cup of coffee on the credit card. Hey - 2% is 2%!
What jumps out at me? Where do you get coffee for .69?

Although Senior coffee at MCD is a quarter
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 08:50 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

My Fidelity Visa suddenly popped up with big charges to some charity in Europe. Fake of course. Elan caught it about the same time I called to warn them. Given what happened at many retailers, where criminals were able to roam about in their computer systems for weeks and sometimes months, it's not surprising that anybody's card from any issuer gets misused from time to time.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 09:15 AM   #20

Interesting the diversity of experiences. We use our 2% card for virtually everything so from that perspective it isn't surprising it would be compromised somewhat frequently. However, a couple of years ago we got upset with FIA because legitimate charges were frequently being denied, so we switched to another card for about 9 months. Even though we used the replacement for everything also, it was never compromised. We used it for about 9 months with no problems. We also used a zero % card from another issuer for about 4 months. Neither of these cards had any fraudulent transactions, But I missed getting 2% back on everything so we switched back to Elan a month ago. Already having to get new cards due to fraud. That's why I thought Elian's cards might be more problematic than others.