Eliminate Tipping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe I got it wrong.

Then again, there's this article about waiters making $150K:
Waiting tables at nation's high-end restaurants can earn up to $150,000 a year | Daily Mail Online

People make what people are willing to pay.

Exactly. That's why I said I will be tipping much less from now on...on the rare occasions that I eat at an expensive restaurant. I'm not willing to tip $20+ on a $100 meal so a waiter can make $100K per year. I have no problem tipping 15%+ when I eat at Applebee's or Chili's and the waiter / waitress is a young person starting out in life or a college student or whatever.

I tip dependent upon the amount of time involved, the degree of complexity of serving the order, and the quality of service not the cost of the meal. That seems to me to be the most fair way of determining a tip. Of course it is subjective but the servers are doing pretty much the same thing at most restaurants I would consider.

I'm also still having a problem with the escalating tip suggestions. I have heard the argument that it is to stay up with the cost of living. However, the cost of the meals have increased so the same tip percentage of a few decades ago means the tip has also increased.

Cheers!

I have no problem tipping 15%+ when I eat at Applebee's or Chili's and the waiter / waitress is a young person starting out in life or a college student or whatever.

I don't tip when I eat, I tip when I dine. Huge difference.

10 year Dallas police officers don't make $60K. To me, carrying food from one spot to another isn't deserving of that kind of money. .

Servers in my area often have to do things like prepare the salad, meaning they chop the lettuce, slice the tomatoes, etc. prepare the plate and then bring it to the table.

I'm not willing to tip $20+ on a $100 meal so a waiter can make $100K per year. I have no problem tipping 15%+ when I eat at Applebee's or Chili's and the waiter / waitress is a young person starting out in life or a college student or whatever.

Personally, I try to tip on the quality of service provided, not on someone else's need (or lack thereof). I've learned on this forum that guessing someone else's income can be tricky.

Reminds me of a boss back in the sixties who gave an employee who was single a smaller raise because "he didn't need the money as much as a married guy"...let's just say that "the courts disagreed".

BTW, it's idiot Americans that are distorting tipping in Europe. I've told people I'm with that the tip is included in the bill and they still insist on throwing down an extra 15-20%. The French have come to expect this from Americans but they think we're stupid.

I tip 15%+ in the USA.

In Europe I usually just round up a euro or two. Unless I need to get rid of a pocket full of foreign coins before heading home. Then it's the waiters lucky day. 😄🌎

Servers in my area often have to do things like prepare the salad, meaning they chop the lettuce, slice the tomatoes, etc. prepare the plate and then bring it to the table.

Well, THAT makes all the difference. They have to chop lettuce? Slice a tomato? Holy Moly...they need a raise. You guys are making my case for me.

You really think someone who chops lettuce, puts it in a bowl, has to "keep a lot of things in their head", "time things" and "have poise under pressure" should make more than a teacher who spends more time with your kids than you do...or an engineer who went to college for years, or a cop who risks his life to keep the bad guys away from you? This thread is getting ridiculous.

"make"?

have you considered the total remuneration (benefits, etc.) package?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom