Join Early Retirement Today

Embarassing credit card slip-up
Old 03-13-2008, 10:15 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Embarassing credit card slip-up

I somehow spazzed paying an AmEx bill last month and when I got home last night, this month's bill was there indicating that I was past due. They did not levy any fees aside from a month's worth of interest on the few hundred dollars balance. I set up my bill pay service to wipe out the balance ASAP (friday) and called AmEx to let them know it was coming.

Will this result in a ding on my credit score, or is it going to get a pass since it was less than 30 days overdue?

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2008, 10:24 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Most likely American Express will not report it as a late payment on your credit score if you are a good customer, usually it has to be a pattern to effect your credit score. I have had late payments on my Master Card for similar reasons not effect my credit score at all.

I would think your credit score would be near the top!?

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f44/why-i-believe-we-are-about-to-embark-on-a-historic-bull-market-run-101268.html
Running_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 10:26 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Suffice it to say that I don't spend a lot of time worrying about qualifying for a loan.

But for a while, stoozing really whacked my score.

- George Orwell

Old 03-13-2008, 10:40 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I probably should not mention why...

but I never have embarrassing moments with credit cards.

(choose not to have any, sssh!! don't tell)

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 10:53 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

One of the things I setup recently with all my credit cards is a autopayment for the minimum amount. That way if I slip up, their auto pay takes over and at least pays the min.

I had a problem with my Bank of America card (use to be MBNA) when I set this up the first time. I set Chase and MBNA up at the same time, then knew I had it configured, and just skipped paying the bill that month.

Unfortunatly Chase actually did the payment, even sent me a nice email that they had done it... and I promptly forgot to look at the MBNA account. So 30 days later, the next bill rolls around.. and... WHAT! I'm late... so I call up and a bunch, and they reverse the late charges... and then tell me... oh, it can take UP TO 3 billing cycles for your auto pay to take affect... huh? you mean in this day of computers (where I configured it online)... where I can check my account with-in hours of a payment for something, and its there... it takes 3 months to configure auto-pay? Sounds like they are trying to screw with people and collect some late fees...

I hate to cancel that card since it use to be MBNA and I've had the account for like 15 years now... but I hate BofA, and refuse to use the card anymore...

It didn't effect my credit at all, and I doubt your little slip up will either.

Laters,
-d.
dgalbraith100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 10:53 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

No late fees...was this a charge card? where they allow for you to carry charges? I dont think it will hit your report and most allow you to waive a late fee once or twice a year...to the previous poster, I would be careful of the autopayments since statement dates and minimums can change...
Old 03-13-2008, 11:17 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Its a costco amex, which has terms pretty much identical to a visa or mc. No late charge I could find on the bill.

- George Orwell

stoozing?
Old 03-13-2008, 11:34 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

stoozing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
But for a while, stoozing really whacked my score.
O.K., I'll bite; what is "stoozing"? :confused:

t.r.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:36 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Stoozing: take a 0% offer from an idiot credit card issuer and invest it in a high yield savings account. Pay back the loan when the 0% period is over. Pocket the interest.

- George Orwell

Old 03-13-2008, 11:41 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Got it. I guess I can see how after about the umpteen thousandth card the credit score might get a little dicey ...
Old 03-13-2008, 11:47 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Speaking of stoozing... I just paid back the remaining balances on my last round and deciding whether it's worth doing another one now. From what I read banks are clamping down on 0% offers/LOC transfers and falling interest rates don't help either. Any recent experience/advice? TIA.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:49 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

brewer,
One potential "gotcha" with Amex cash rebate cards: If you are late with a payment, you forfeit the entire cash rebate earned up to that date. That can be a lot of money. We had an incident like yours a couple of years ago and we called them to explain/grovel. They restored our rebate balance.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 11:53 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffy View Post
Speaking of stoozing... I just paid back the remaining balances on my last round and deciding whether it's worth doing another one now. From what I read banks are clamping down on 0% offers/LOC transfers and falling interest rates don't help either. Any recent experience/advice? TIA.
It entirely depends on your circumstances. The fact that interest rates on savings accounts are dropping makes things somewhat more challenging.

I'm doing my second round of stoozing right now. I don't have final numbers because it is still in progress, but I expect to make about $5,000 to $10,000 at it this year. I think of it as an enjoyable and flexible second job.

You can read about my experience here. FWF, the message board that you land on, has plenty of stories about stoozing. They call them AORs there.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 11:54 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for the heads-up. I think the cumulative rebate is about $6, so its not an issue. That bit of the fine print had escaped me.

- George Orwell

Old 03-13-2008, 11:56 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeRuh View Post
Got it. I guess I can see how after about the umpteen thousandth card the credit score might get a little dicey ...
Six days ago I had 29 credit cards and a credit score of 782.

You do have to manage things well, though.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:18 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
It entirely depends on your circumstances. The fact that interest rates on savings accounts are dropping makes things somewhat more challenging.

I'm doing my second round of stoozing right now. I don't have final numbers because it is still in progress, but I expect to make about $5,000 to $10,000 at it this year. I think of it as an enjoyable and flexible second job.

You can read about my experience here. FWF, the message board that you land on, has plenty of stories about stoozing. They call them AORs there.

2Cor521
Thanks, 2Cor, I'll make sure to read through your FWF thread. I managed around $5K/yr last couple of years but having doubts about this year. Will check out your experience, thanks again
Old 03-13-2008, 12:50 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffy View Post
I transferred $6000 last November and $6600 in December. My recollection after doing my research is that many companies still offer 0% for a year (or more in some cases) but they will charge you a 3% balance transfer fee. The two I applied for had 12 month offers with no balance transfer fees.

After getting these two, I started thinking that the headache, paperwork, risk of a mistake (hey, if Brewer can miss a payment anyone can!) and credit hit are probably not worth it the few hundred dollars I will earn. I'll let these two cards ride out and stop playing the game later this year.

Incidentally, though, I received another 0%, 12 month, no balance transfer fee offer in the mail the other day from US Bank. I was tempted but tossed it.

Niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 12:56 PM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

I believe late payment status has to be over 30 days before it shows up on a credit report. You should be okay credit report wise.
akck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 01:11 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post

2Cor521
I suspected that you were the same person given your handle.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:20 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssc View Post
I suspected that you were the same person given your handle.
Yup. I'm "SecondCor521" where ever I register on the web, so if you see that user id out there, it's almost certainly me.

2Cor521