Emerging tech fund~ too risky for teachers?

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
Newly re-elected Gov Perry now wants the teacher's pension fund to drop over a half-billion dollars in this risky fund. What the hell is this guy smokin?

Gov. Rick Perry is asking the Teacher Retirement System, Texas' largest pension fund, to consider investing up to $600 million in young companies that receive money from Perry's emerging technology fund.

Last year, Perry persuaded lawmakers to put $200 million into a new Texas Emerging Technology Fund that invests in startup companies and public research projects. Perry wants the state to up its bet and is asking for the Teacher Retirement System investment.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sharedcontent/APStories/stories/D8LEB4KG0.html

mickeyd said:
Newly re-elected Gov Perry now wants the teacher's pension fund to drop over a half-billion dollars in this risky fund. What the hell is this guy smokin?

Gov. Rick Perry is asking the Teacher Retirement System, Texas' largest pension fund, to consider investing up to $600 million in young companies that receive money from Perry's emerging technology fund.

Last year, Perry persuaded lawmakers to put $200 million into a new Texas Emerging Technology Fund that invests in startup companies and public research projects. Perry wants the state to up its bet and is asking for the Teacher Retirement System investment.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sharedcontent/APStories/stories/D8LEB4KG0.html

He's a sick puppy. Before long the Texas folks will be wishing "W" was still governor. :)

JG

mickeyd said:
And how much of his own money does Gov. Perry have in this fund? 8)

astromeria said:
And how much of his own money does Gov. Perry have in this fund? 8)

If we base upon a lot of fund managers on Wall Street...........NONE!! :D :D

The teacher's fund has $100 billion in assets. It doesn't seem like much of a stretch to put 0.5% into what is essentially a venture capital investment. Most of the large pension funds that I have researched generally have 5-10% invested in "alternative investments" such as VC, "absolute return" strategies, hedge funds, or something similar.

Yep, they should take the money out of their California VC investments and put it into Texas VC investments.

The $100 billion teacher fund has a $13 billion shortfall and hasn't increased benefits for retirees since 2001.

If I were 13% behind my projected needs, I doubt that I would try to make up the shortfall by chasing a micro-tech fund to solve my problems. Of course it would be my $, not other people's $.

mickeyd said:
If I were 13% behind my projected needs, I doubt that I would try to make up the shortfall by chasing a micro-tech fund to solve my problems. Of course it would be my $, not other people's $.

Unfunded pension liabilities? The horror.................. ::)

I have an easy way to make up the 13% shortfall. Just change a couple actuarial assumptions! :D

Back
Top Bottom