Join Early Retirement Today

Employer 401k Change
Old 06-30-2020, 03:03 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Employer 401k Change

I FIREd about 18 months ago. I retained my employer 401k and make monthly withdrawals. I am very happy with my portfolio mix and what the manager (Fidelity) offers.

I just received a notice that my company will be changing the stable value fund option from Mellon Stable Value Fund, to Putnam Stable Value Fund 15.

Should I care? Note: I have been in Mellon since I can remember and never lost a dime. I never hear of Putnam Stable Value Fund 15, and can't find a lot of comfort in my web searches. I have about 30% of my holdings in Mellon.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Murph is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2020, 12:04 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I know nothing about those funds, but you should be able to easily roll your Fidelity-held assets into a Fidelity IRA and have more flexibility in investment choices. I just did, all online.

However, if you're over 55 and under 59.5 you may not want to do this.

I can't recall exactly how I did it...I think it was under a "quick links" dropdown. I can't find it now because those 401k accounts are empty now.

BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 10:36 AM   #3

Look them up on Morningstar.
Montecfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 10:42 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMoneyJim View Post
you should be able to easily roll your Fidelity-held assets into a Fidelity IRA and have more flexibility in investment choices..
But he will no longer have access to the Stable Value Fund.
Old 07-01-2020, 12:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
But he will no longer have access to the Stable Value Fund.
Ok, today I learned "stable value fund"s are a thing, and for some reason only seem to be available in 401k plans? Weird. My 4+ 401ks across 3 or 4 institutions all had only assets that could directly be rolled over to an IRA at the same institution.

Well, I guess the choice then is to stay in the 401k and go with their new options now and whenever they change again in the future, or roll to an IRA and investigate similar options there you'll likely never need to change. I get paid the same either way. And while I do seem to have a bias towards IRAs, there are advantages to staying in a 401k, too, particularly if you retire after 55 and are under 59.5, and of course if you have an asset that isn't available outside the 401k.
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 12:48 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The combination of Fidelity and Stable Value fund would make me comfortable. Take a look at comparing the fees and performance between the two providers...that should tell you a lot. Both Mellon and Putnam are decent providers as far as I know. BTW, what is your SVF paying these days? Mine are ~2% which is not bad in todays market but not at good as some others I hear of.