Employer Savings plan with 1.75% return vs Bond Fund

Bikechuck

Recycles dryer sheets
My employer's retirement plan offers the use of a savings plan currently paying a guaranteed minimum 1.75% from Lincoln Financial.

I am curious about the collective wisdom of the group. Is it advisable to use a fund like this as a partial substitute for short/intermediate term Bond Funds?

Given interest rates right now, I'd be willing to accept 1.75% on funds that I would need in 3-5 years. For any longer time horizon, I'd stick w/ intermediate/total bond.

It would depend on your time horizon. One can see that intermediate-term bond funds have returned between 5% and 6% for the first 7 months of 2016 which is like 3 years of returns in that stable value fund. So in hindsight, the stable value fund was the loser.

If the rate was close to 3% or 4%, then I think it would be OK. I wouldn't use something with 1.75% myself even for one year. I don't use savings accounts and don't use CDs either.

I also have no fear of losing small amounts of money (say 3% to 7%) in a bond fund. Such a loss would just put me back to where a savings account would be for year, so I'm willing to take my chances. But I only have 30% of assets in a bond fund, so a 5% loss in bonds would mean my total return would be reduced by 5% of 30% or 1.5%. That's doodly-squat in the big scheme of things.

Last edited:
My employer's retirement plan offers the use of a savings plan currently paying a guaranteed minimum 1.75% from Lincoln Financial.

I am curious about the collective wisdom of the group. Is it advisable to use a fund like this as a partial substitute for short/intermediate term Bond Funds?

Is there a minimum holding period?

For a stable value/cash-like position, I'd take that as long as there are no caveats on getting out of it and if the return is more or less guaranteed to not lose principal.

Definitely yes. My plan has a similar feature that is close to 2% and I use it. You can not get that return in the bond market without at least a degree of bond price fluctuation and/or greater credit quality risk.

I'd look at the expenses associated with the SV and bond funds. If they have 1-yr reports, the answer could be in there. Knowing this may sway your decision.

It would depend on your time horizon. One can see that intermediate-term bond funds have returned between 5% and 6% for the first 7 months of 2016 which is like 3 years of returns in that stable value fund. So in hindsight, the stable value fund was the loser. ....

But to be fair, the lion's share of that 5-6% return is due to appreciation which is principally due to changes in interest rates that can evaporate in a heartbeat ..... the income return is only a bit better than the 1.75% the OP can get in a stable value fund.

I think it's a nice way to diversify your fixed income portfolio. So you could have a portion in intermediate term bonds, foreign bonds, high yield bonds and some in stable value.

Back
Top Bottom