Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Employer Savings plan with 1.75% return vs Bond Fund
Old 08-19-2016, 06:52 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Employer Savings plan with 1.75% return vs Bond Fund

My employer's retirement plan offers the use of a savings plan currently paying a guaranteed minimum 1.75% from Lincoln Financial.

I am curious about the collective wisdom of the group. Is it advisable to use a fund like this as a partial substitute for short/intermediate term Bond Funds?
Bikechuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2016, 07:06 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Given interest rates right now, I'd be willing to accept 1.75% on funds that I would need in 3-5 years. For any longer time horizon, I'd stick w/ intermediate/total bond.
mrfeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 07:27 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It would depend on your time horizon. One can see that intermediate-term bond funds have returned between 5% and 6% for the first 7 months of 2016 which is like 3 years of returns in that stable value fund. So in hindsight, the stable value fund was the loser.

If the rate was close to 3% or 4%, then I think it would be OK. I wouldn't use something with 1.75% myself even for one year. I don't use savings accounts and don't use CDs either.

I also have no fear of losing small amounts of money (say 3% to 7%) in a bond fund. Such a loss would just put me back to where a savings account would be for year, so I'm willing to take my chances. But I only have 30% of assets in a bond fund, so a 5% loss in bonds would mean my total return would be reduced by 5% of 30% or 1.5%. That's doodly-squat in the big scheme of things.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 05:05 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikechuck View Post
My employer's retirement plan offers the use of a savings plan currently paying a guaranteed minimum 1.75% from Lincoln Financial.

I am curious about the collective wisdom of the group. Is it advisable to use a fund like this as a partial substitute for short/intermediate term Bond Funds?
Is there a minimum holding period?
FIREchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 05:16 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

For a stable value/cash-like position, I'd take that as long as there are no caveats on getting out of it and if the return is more or less guaranteed to not lose principal.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 05:06 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Definitely yes. My plan has a similar feature that is close to 2% and I use it. You can not get that return in the bond market without at least a degree of bond price fluctuation and/or greater credit quality risk.
Old 08-20-2016, 05:26 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikechuck View Post

I'd look at the expenses associated with the SV and bond funds. If they have 1-yr reports, the answer could be in there. Knowing this may sway your decision.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 05:41 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
It would depend on your time horizon. One can see that intermediate-term bond funds have returned between 5% and 6% for the first 7 months of 2016 which is like 3 years of returns in that stable value fund. So in hindsight, the stable value fund was the loser. ....
But to be fair, the lion's share of that 5-6% return is due to appreciation which is principally due to changes in interest rates that can evaporate in a heartbeat ..... the income return is only a bit better than the 1.75% the OP can get in a stable value fund.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 05:46 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

I think it's a nice way to diversify your fixed income portfolio. So you could have a portion in intermediate term bonds, foreign bonds, high yield bonds and some in stable value.
panacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 02:53 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:
currently paying a guaranteed minimum 1.75%

How long is the guarantee good for?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote