Join Early Retirement Today

Encouraging LBYM and savings
Old 05-09-2007, 10:35 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Encouraging LBYM and savings

I'm playing a nice sister.

My brother went out with his college friends and came back to call me complaining that he felt poor. One of his friend has a shiny new car and therefore owned 2 - she asked him if he is still driving the same one he has had for 7 years.

Another guy currently lives in downtown area paying $950 rent exclude utilities and has a new car.

Another has motorcycle racing hobby.

Meanwhile my brother paid $800 includes all utilities, living alone in 3 bedroom house...kind of a house sitter since the owner is somewhere else and been going on for 2 years. No car payment, stable job, single.

So I recommend this site and told him to call me should he feel poor...I probably should look poorer because I don't buy anything besides nice clothes ...my one advice to him is you can afford new BMW but would you want it? would you need it? I said, make friends with older and wiser crowds...not the newly graduate because seems like majority of them are merely trying to catch up with payments.

So now I'm proud of myself for extending LBYM.
Siv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Encouraging LBYM and savings
Old 05-09-2007, 11:38 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Although some crowds may be older, I don't know that they are wiser. Overconsumption seldom seems to tail off; people quickly become accustomed to increasingly expensive lifestyles.

Some of the best advice around is to continue to live like you are in college for as long as possible. Well, minus the ramen noodles and boxed mac'n'cheese if you don't want to die from hypertension by the age of 30.
cho oyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 04:43 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've lived below and above. Don't regret either.
Hey, fast cars are fun, life is meant to be fun.
TJ
p.s. But I always was in my 401K to the max.
teejayevans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 05:12 PM   #4
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cho oyu
Some of the best advice around is to continue to live like you are in college for as long as possible. Well, minus the ramen noodles and boxed mac'n'cheese if you don't want to die from hypertension by the age of 30.
Quit looking in my cupboards!
YVR-Terri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 05:34 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Depreciation on new cars is a terrible waste of hard-earned money. I laugh at new car drivers. If I was that ignorant of personal finance, I wouldn't show it off by driving a new car--hey, look at me, I'm not good at numbers, and I like big shiny objects that smell like new plastic. Do I look like the models that drive this car in the ads on TV?
heyyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 05:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyyou
Depreciation on new cars is a terrible waste of hard-earned money. I laugh at new car drivers. If I was that ignorant of personal finance, I wouldn't show it off by driving a new car--hey, look at me, I'm not good at numbers, and I like big shiny objects that smell like new plastic. Do I look like the models that drive this car in the ads on TV?
Well yeah, but you can't take the money with you to the grave either. So if you had 100 Million dollars you wouldn't buy a new car to drive?

Money is made to be spent. Nothing virtuous in being a miser either. To me that is one of the saddest states in life! ---- Hey look at me "I never traveled the world or bought a new car, but I died with 3.5 million dollars!"
Cut-Throat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 06:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
Well yeah, but you can't take the money with you to the grave either. So if you had 100 Million dollars you wouldn't buy a new car to drive?

Money is made to be spent. Nothing virtuous in being a miser either. To me that is one of the saddest states in life! ---- Hey look at me "I never traveled the world or bought a new car, but I died with 3.5 million dollars!"
Finding the right balance between being a miser and a spendthrift is the key to being happy, in my opinion.
JustCurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 06:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCurious
Finding the right balance between being a miser and a spendthrift is the key to being happy, in my opinion.
Yup!
Cut-Throat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 06:32 PM   #9

There's an old saying that goes something like this.... "I spent half my money on fast cars and loose women, and the rest of it I just wasted!" LOL Seems apropos.
JustCurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 06:42 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

Amen to that.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:52 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Mabbe not - Buuuut - then again being a cheap bastard with a pickup truck having a rusty fender, a couple of good old dogs and used Dickies coveralls bought 'on sale' at Salvation Army - ain't bad either especially if it floats your boat/gives you some jollies.

Do get get a grip - and drive the new car for long trips - reliability and all that boring rot.

heh heh heh - some things are just plain fun!
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 07:06 PM   #12

If you take money to the grave its not like you will give a ****. However if you run out of money at an old age you will.
Mwsinron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 07:08 PM   #13
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwsinron
If you take money to the grave its not like you will give a ****. However if you run out of money at an old age you will.
Maybe some people have never lived in a car.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:50 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

My point is while still young and just started accummulating wealth/net worth, one should stay in budget. Once someone has significant amount, it's easy to buy things and to spend it on monthly payment plans will only slow down the process.

I wish someone had told me or guided me when I was in 20's...I would have had a lot more!
Old 05-10-2007, 07:54 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siv
My point is while still young and just started accummulating wealth/net worth, one should stay in budget. Once someone has significant amount, it's easy to buy things and to spend it on monthly payment plans will only slow down the process.

I wish someone had told me or guided me when I was in 20's...I would have had a lot more!
Siv, but would you have listened?

I didn't wake up till I was 47, my son is 33 and makes big money and won't save a dime. He just want's to have more stuff. I keep telling him but he won't listen. We each have to learn our lessons.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:59 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Yeah you could be right!

Sometimes I'm amazed at how dumb I was back then! To correct this mistake I often preach to my brother on how not to buy. I hope when he reach 30, he will understand what I mean...luckily, he has been pretty sensible with money ever since 8 so it's not that difficult to steer him into right direction.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:06 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan
Maybe some people have never lived in a car.
Probably Khan people come from different backgrounds and learn to appreciate things differently.
Mwsinron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 09:05 PM   #18
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siv

The key for us in our twenties was not to save like crazy after growing up with nothing and going to college on a shoestring, but not to go into debt for stuff we couldn't afford, even after we started having kids. We saved for short term things like vacations and replacing the car. Later when the income went up well into the 30's we were in a much better position to save for the long run.

My advice to my kids who are now in their 20's is pretty well exactly that except that I now throw in the 10% into the 401(k) pitch since they don't have pension plans where they each work.