Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-31-2017, 06:31 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm wasting time as I see fit. So far I'm taken care of business I love to w*rk at nothin al day.
Free bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2017, 06:36 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free bird View Post
CDs are a third world prison for money. You have to pay to get out. The war on savers has created unfavorable terms for savers. Its a risk on environment as dictated by the system.
It's not that bad. And it's all relative. Still better than Treasuries.

No penalty CDs are available. Also 6 months interest penalty for longer CDs if you want to get out early - not any forfeit of principal.

Unless the economy takes off like a rocket and/or inflation raises its ugly head (which would be worse in the big picture, IMO), there is no-one going to want to pay you more to hold your money with FDIC backing. You have to take much greater risks for higher yield.

There is just not demand for borrowing.
Old 10-31-2017, 06:40 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm wasting time as I see fit. So far I'm taken care of business I love to w*rk at nothin al day.

Time for a nap before bed.
But to end my evening back on topic, I cashed in two Ally Bank no penalty CDs last week to come up with cash for a house on the Jersey Shore we’re buying. Ally Bank was so easy to deal with and transferred the money directly to the account we’re paying for the house from. They’re a great Bank for customer service.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 06:49 PM   #24

Good job Dash. I can barely take care of one house much less two. Borrowing is pretty easy these days. So penfeds CD terms are not that great. Some are better some are worse. I've got 2001/02 era ibonds 3% penfed CDs & 2.75% CDs at another CU. All have favorable access to the money. But overall the screws have been tightened.
Old 10-31-2017, 06:59 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Good job Dash. I can barely take care of one house much less two. Borrowing is pretty easy these days. So penfeds CD terms are not that great. Some are better some are worse. I've got 2001/02 era ibonds 3% penfed CDs & 2.75% CDs at another CU. All have favorable access to the money. But overall the screws have been tightened.

My PenFed CDs @ 3% mature next year. Then goodbye to PenFed unless they change their ways.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 07:36 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Being bored takes on new meaning when your retired.
Yeah, wait until you get up to 5,000 posts.
Old 10-31-2017, 07:54 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Piker.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 07:57 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
The rates on some of the money market funds are moving up. I see VMMXX quoted at a 1.13% yield now.
Thanks. I moved every penny of our VMMXX to Ally years ago so I hadn’t noticed VMMXX is paying interest that’s much more competitive again (finally). I’m not moving cash back but I might let some sweep money accumulate at Vanguard again.

My Dad just moved a big chunk to Chase for FDIC insurance coverage. What their savings and CD’s pay is still criminal woefully uncompetitive.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 08:07 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Yeah the money market rates have moved up smartly this year.
Old 10-31-2017, 08:59 PM   #30
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Yeah the money market rates have moved up smartly this year.
It has me rethinking CDs. If rates continue to move higher, which is uncertain of course, a money market will relatively quickly give those higher rates, all without having to break a CD and possibly incur a penalty.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 09:06 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

I’m looking to beat the PenFed 3% deal of a few years ago.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 04:29 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
It has me rethinking CDs. If rates continue to move higher, which is uncertain of course, a money market will relatively quickly give those higher rates, all without having to break a CD and possibly incur a penalty.
I'm not sure money market rates are going to beat the high yield savings account rates anytime soon. The Vanguard rate is the highest, but it's still just shy of the 1.20% to 1.35% rate offered by several banks. Those high yield savings rates have been moving up very quickly with the Fed Funds rate. And even short CD no penalty rates are available above that.

It's certainly way better than a couple years ago when savings/CDs were the only game in town.
Old 11-01-2017, 04:32 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I’m looking to beat the PenFed 3% deal of a few years ago.
I loaded upon some Andrews CDs at 3% early this year.

Yep - curious to see if anyone offers above that any time soon.
Old 11-01-2017, 06:02 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

It is only prison if you need the money. If you put Dividends in another account you can live off them. We have for 4 years now. Very easily. I would have NO intention of touching the principle. If one did, then it is possibly not a good investment for them.

My Maturity dates are December 2018 and January 2019. Then I will by looking for some 3% + CDs myself. $2m @ 60k PA not such a bad income for a retiree. Add SS and Not too bad at all.
Old 11-01-2017, 08:44 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

I still have 3 yrs left on Penfed 5% CDs plus a yr on the 3% ones. The 5% were 10 yr notes and I remember how tough it was to commit to that term. Looking back it was a great move. The only reason it feels like a prison is that I feel forced to reinvest the dividend due to lack of decent alternatives. I do like the NASA 49 mo CDs @ 2.25 but they keep sending me emails suggesting that may end soon. NFCU has been pretty good with Add-On features and I open one with a tiny deposit every time they are offered to reserve the rate. Last one was 2% for 17 mo. Overall I am maxed out on fixed income so just need to continue rungs on the ladder. I use these to substitute for bonds.
Old 11-01-2017, 08:48 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
It is only prison if you need the money. ...
Agreed... so I only put money in there that I don't think I will need and in $50k increments so if it ends up that I do need it I don't have to break the whole thing.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 08:52 AM   #37

3% seems to be the magic number. I put money in 2.75% CDs earlier this year. Created 20 smaller CDs instead of one large one. They don't allow partial withdrawls or taking the dividends out after they get distributed into the CD so I had to have the dividends put into a share account. Just another example of how the system has become increasingly hostile toward savers. That's the way I view it. With so much money having been created it's no longer required to court savers. Money is not rare under the current system.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:10 AM   #38

10 year CD purchase was a genious move Dash. Buying a 30 year bond circa 1980 is more genious. So far I have a zero in the genious moves column. Buy & hold doesn't count as genious does it?
Old 11-01-2017, 09:12 AM   #39

Bitcoin anyone?
Old 11-01-2017, 09:25 AM   #40
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I dumped GE Capital when they were bought out by Goldman Sachs. I figured GS would not invest much effort in the platform and be less than friendly to the little people.

Today I decided to open up a small one year CD at 1.65 percent to see how they do. So far, the platform seems well designed and easy to use. They had all my GE Capital info in their database, so it was easy to open the account.

My 11 month no penalty CD at Ally expires this month. The account is not large enough to qualify for the 1.5 percent at renewal. That money will go back into the savings account or into another CD at an institution with better CD rates.

Hoping some 3 percent CD's show up by the end of December so I can commit more money to them.
Another Reader is online now   Reply With Quote