Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-23-2007, 03:03 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hmm, we're not tracking our spending, which is higher than we expect.

This is all sounding familiar...

I think you oughta nag the wife until she develops a tic as well. Then you might get to experience some different budgeting problems
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2007, 03:11 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by twaddle View Post
How do you enforce a budget?
Easy! Just tell her no more whoopee until she gets her spending under control.

Ha
Old 10-23-2007, 03:12 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Hmm, we're not tracking our spending, which is higher than we expect.

This is all sounding familiar...

I think you oughta nag the wife until she develops a tic as well. Then you might get to experience some different budgeting problems
C'mon, CFB, share some insight with me. You're a reformed fatwallet addict, aren't you? Or are you still consuming at full force?

Everything is getting so much cheaper, we can't resist the bargains. Bargains are everywhere! Must resist.....
Old 10-23-2007, 03:36 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

OK, as a wife with an online spending habit, I control it with limiting what I have in Paypal and the bank account to which it is linked. I did tell Paypal about a credit card but it was not required and has never been hit by Paypal, and it is a credit card that is mine alone (not DH's). I have the Paypal linked to a bank account at a bank that I only use for Paypal, just in case my Paypal gets hacked. It works for me.
BTW I fund my Paypal with what I make selling my junk on Ebay. That limits me even more.
toofrugalformycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 03:51 PM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

So, the take-home message is that nobody really sets, tracks or enforces their budgets?
Yeah! I’ve never been able to stick to the budgeting paperwork; it really bores me. This is what works now: I simply start with my net income and do the "pay myself first" thing, transferring as much as possible into an on-line savings account. This month I find that I can increase the amount by about 1/3 so I congratulate myself instead of beating myself up for not sticking to a budget; if I have to go back to the old amount, well, good enough!
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 03:58 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
C'mon, CFB, share some insight with me. You're a reformed fatwallet addict, aren't you? Or are you still consuming at full force?

Everything is getting so much cheaper, we can't resist the bargains. Bargains are everywhere! Must resist.....
Easy. I look at all the crap in my garage, spare room and office and realize I'd only be adding to the pile. So I have a simple rule. Something comes in, something goes out.

My wife doesnt buy much very often. A lexus every now and then. A Coach purse once in a while. Giant honking diamond rings and earrings. Other than that, she's pretty much not a shopper. Heck, she likes budweiser... : :P

I'm desperately resisting the purchase of a larger compressor. I dont need it. It wouldnt really do anything that my small one wouldnt do. But I could sit in the garage and grunt at it.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:01 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Easy! Just tell her no more whoopee until she gets her spending under control.

Ha
See dictionary for "self-fulfilling prophecy"...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 05:07 PM   #48

Quote:
So I have a simple rule. Something comes in, something goes out.
Yeah, DW has a similar rule. She periodically takes a load of stuff to goodwill in order to make room for more new stuff. But the stuff that goes to goodwill is perfectly good stuff -- just the "wrong" style or something.

I do the same thing, I guess. Out with the depreciated assets, and in with the newly purchased stuff. Somehow, it doesn't seem like a good long-term solution.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:10 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

I guess for a long term solution you could seek to find other ways to fill the internal hole you're trying to stuff merchandise into.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:13 PM   #50

Quote:
I guess for a long term solution you could seek to find other ways to fill the internal hole you're trying to stuff merchandise into.
Well, you fill that hole for me, but you don't post as often as you used to.

I do get a buzz from a bargain, I guess. Walking away is like leaving $100 bills on the ground sometimes. But I will be strong! Thanks for the psychoanalysis, doc.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:17 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Maybe an internet vacation? Such as having one week a month where you do no discretionary shopping, no looking for deals. Maybe the two of you have become too good at shopping.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 05:22 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Maybe an internet vacation? Such as having one week a month where you do no discretionary shopping, no looking for deals. Maybe the two of you have become too good at shopping.
That actually sounds pretty good. But it's too late. I already had the neural wi-fi implant put in. My mind has melded with the net.

Seriously, this is not an addiction, and it's not out of control. I'm just looking for a simple negative feedback loop that doesn't involve nagging or guilt trips.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:26 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Seriously, this is not an addiction, and it's not out of control.
Come now twad...isnt the first step is to admit that you have a problem and are powerless to your addiction?
Old 10-23-2007, 05:28 PM   #54

Quote:
Come now twad...isnt the first step is to admit that you have a problem and are powerless to your addiction?
I knew that was coming. Next up: "when did you stop beating your wife?"

OK, I'll try the credit card limit or paypal thing and see if that works as a non-fascist gentle budgetary reminder.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:35 PM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

I am curious as to how it goes; let us know.

But if it is not a problem don't make it a problem.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 05:53 PM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Maybe an internet vacation? Such as having one week a month where you do no discretionary shopping....
I really like this one! I only go on-line at work which is a problem when I take an on-line class, but I know how to log on at the library. How would you advise me to continue this life-style?

My fifth grade teacher would have me write on the blackboard 100 times: I will not buy that laptop, I will not get a high-speed internet connection at home.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 06:11 PM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
But here's the deal. The breadth and depth of stuff you can buy over the net has increased a bunch. And it's only one click away. I see an increasing number of boxes arriving at our door.
I have to admit, I also like to shop online... It's so convenient and you can find so many cool things to buy on the internet nowadays! And If I was single I would probably get in trouble with that stuff. But then there is the enforcer: My wife! I better not overspend, otherwise there is hell to pay... So there you are, now you all know my real secret to "enforce" our budget...
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 07:22 PM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

Investment income goes into Vanguard spending account. Pension goes into "OUR" Checking account along with cash from Vanguard account to reach a predetermined amount monthly. Some money is transferred from OUR account to each one of HIS and HERS personal accounts. It is necessary that HIS and HERS receive an equal amount monthly!! We have 3 credit cards, OURS, HIS and HERS. OUR checking and credit card pay for all bills, auto costs, restaurants and other entertainment. HIS and HER accounts are for whatever we want other than necessary stuff (like gifts to family and each other)and when the money is gone, too bad. If too much money accumulates in the Vanguard account we purchase another index fund or fill up on one we are short on. If clothing is HER problem that would be one of the items that I would remove from the OUR account expenditures but be sure that HIS clothing also comes from HIS account. If she thinks HE spends too much on computer software then HIS account should pay for it. It is a negotiation until the boundaries are set but we have no trouble with this system.
2fer
Old 10-23-2007, 07:50 PM   #59
Full time employment: Posting here.

Twaddle, put the card down and slowly back away and your spending will drop by about 15%, before you know it you'll be talking real money.

We returned to the cash envelopes almost three years ago and we're having trouble finding places to stash the extra cash. We can't completely let go of the cards though due to the convenience items you mentioned. So rather than a "gold standard" we have implemented a "cash standard" if you want to make a charge go for it as long as you have enough money in the envelope gas? adult clothes? kids clothes? etc... once you make the charge move that amount of cash out of that envelope to the spent on credit envelope which is the base we use to start next weeks cash disbursements. No spreadsheets or calculations if you can count currency you can stay within the budget.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:58 PM   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
Twaddle, put the card down and slowly back away and your spending will drop by about 15%, before you know it you'll be talking real money.

We returned to the cash envelopes almost three years ago and we're having trouble finding places to stash the extra cash. We can't completely let go of the cards though due to the convenience items you mentioned. So rather than a "gold standard" we have implemented a "cash standard" if you want to make a charge go for it as long as you have enough money in the envelope gas? adult clothes? kids clothes? etc... once you make the charge move that amount of cash out of that envelope to the spent on credit envelope which is the base we use to start next weeks cash disbursements. No spreadsheets or calculations if you can count currency you can stay within the budget.
I don't think he can do it!

The average American is in total denial about their addiction to credit cards and obsessive shopping, in my opinion. Ever know an alcoholic (or smoker) who would say, "Sure, I can quit drinking (or smoking), but I enjoy it so I choose not to quit."

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote