Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-16-2020, 10:57 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I think you're fine with making even quarterly payments. Where 2210 comes in handy is if you decide in December that you want to convert a lot more, or otherwise have more income, and thus taxes to pay. 2210 would let you correlate 4Q income with your estimated 4Q tax payment.

Withdrawing extra from your IRA and specifying 99% or 100% holding frees you from form 2210, but it's not the most tax efficient way to do Roth conversions, plus it takes up more space in how much you can convert to the ACA subsidy cliff, or the top of the desired tax bracket. For those reasons, I'll always pay Roth conversion taxes out of my taxable account, and deal with using form 2210 if I need to.
Thanks for those comments RB.

At my age, I'm way past ACA income issues. But, I am trying to make sure my Roth Conversion doesn't impact IRMAA, a very similar situation.

If I had thought of substituting a Roth conversion for my RMD earlier in the year, I would have just increased all 4 estimated tax payments. Since the light in my noggin just clicked on recently, it looks like it's either pay the tax out of the TIRA as withholding (simple but increases my income by the amount of the tax) or send in more estimated tax money and use Form 2210 (which I've heard of but never used).
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2020, 12:04 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
The way to do this is:
1) convert the full $30K amount in Q4
2) by January 15, use eftps, direct pay or send a check to the IRS to cover the $5K tax from your after tax accounts.
3) when you file your 2020 tax return, include form 2210 to show that you don't owe an underpayment penalty. You will fill out the last page (schedule AI) which will show the tax due for the first 3 quarters was $0 and all your tax for the year was due in Q4 and paid in the Q4 installment.
+1 Exactly what I was going to suggest. You saved me a lot of typing.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 12:35 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireBy90 View Post
I wasn't sure if your question was answered, no need to do withholding from the Roth conversion. You can make an estimated Q4 payment by 15 Jan 2021 from after tax monies. There may be another form to fill out to show you incurred taxable income in Q4 when you file 2020 taxes but you can show the taxable income in Q4 and pay the tax as estimated payment on next due date (15 Jan).
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
The way to do this is:
1) convert the full $30K amount in Q4
2) by January 15, use eftps, direct pay or send a check to the IRS to cover the $5K tax from your after tax accounts.
3) when you file your 2020 tax return, include form 2210 to show that you don't owe an underpayment penalty. You will fill out the last page (schedule AI) which will show the tax due for the first 3 quarters was $0 and all your tax for the year was due in Q4 and paid in the Q4 installment.
Sorry for the lack of response. Was playing Pickleball. lol
The above 2 responses were effectively what I was looking for. Thank you so much. I still have to read the rest of the responses.
Old 11-16-2020, 01:49 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

DW and I just took a long hard look at our tax situation and have decided to convert a large sum from her 401k to a Roth. It will hurt tax wise, but looking at our future tax possibilities, it may be best to start biting the bullet each year. It involves pushing us into the 32% bracket. When we’re on Social Security and eventually RMDs kick in at 72, it’ll probably be worse. Paying that tax bill is going to be painful!
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 03:07 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
DW and I just took a long hard look at our tax situation and have decided to convert a large sum from her 401k to a Roth. It will hurt tax wise, but looking at our future tax possibilities, it may be best to start biting the bullet each year. It involves pushing us into the 32% bracket. When we’re on Social Security and eventually RMDs kick in at 72, it’ll probably be worse. Paying that tax bill is going to be painful!
Congratulations. Obviously, you deferred that income anticipating that you would be in a lower tax bracket in retirement than you were while working, but it sounds like you have ended up much more financially successful than you thought you would be when you deferred that income... so congratulations!

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 03:23 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Congratulations. Obviously, you deferred that income anticipating that you would be in a lower tax bracket in retirement than you were while working, but it sounds like you have ended up much more financially successful than you thought you would be when you deferred that income... so congratulations!

Yes, it is a good problem to have!
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 07:34 PM   #27
Dryer sheet aficionado

Resurrecting this thread because I anticipate more-or-less the same situation as the OP, but I'm still a little unsure of the estimated taxes (never paid this way before) and want to make sure I get this right. Please tell me if I'm understanding this correctly. True or false:

1. If I make quarterly estimated tax payments, it doesn't matter when I pull the trigger on the Roth conversion. Could be June. Could be December (or any other month).
2. I don't actually have to file any paperwork unless I am using the vouchers to pay by check. The calculation is only for my records.
3. Makes no difference whether I pay by DirectPay or EFTPS.

Do I have this right? My goal is simplicity over precision.

Many thanks!
DustyMom
DustyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 08:12 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

@DustyMom, look up "safe harbor" and make sure you comply with that for #1. Otherwise I think you are ok.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 08:16 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyMom View Post
Resurrecting this thread because I anticipate more-or-less the same situation as the OP, but I'm still a little unsure of the estimated taxes (never paid this way before) and want to make sure I get this right. Please tell me if I'm understanding this correctly. True or false:

1. If I make quarterly estimated tax payments, it doesn't matter when I pull the trigger on the Roth conversion. Could be June. Could be December (or any other month).
2. I don't actually have to file any paperwork unless I am using the vouchers to pay by check. The calculation is only for my records.
3. Makes no difference whether I pay by DirectPay or EFTPS.

Do I have this right? My goal is simplicity over precision.

Many thanks!
DustyMom
1. If you meet the safe harbor, then correct, it does not matter. If you do not meet the safe harbor, then the exact amount of your underpayment penalty (if any) may be affected by when you do the Roth conversion relative to when you make your estimated payments and their sizes.

2. Correct. Just keep appropriate records of your payments so that you can properly prepare your tax return for that year, and in case the IRS audits that return.

3. Not 100% sure, but yeah, fairly certain that it doesn't matter as long as the money makes it to the US Treasury. You can even mail in paper checks if you want to.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote