Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

ER Forum Dinner Get Together for Xmas
Old 12-18-2016, 06:15 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

ER Forum Dinner Get Together for Xmas

I am from Washington DC/ Virginia area. I was just wonder if anyone here have an interest getting together for a dinner during the holiday season.

Of course, I will be there as myself (not as Enuf2eat :-). Main objective is to have fun, meet interest ER friends, have a drink and get some good food. Last, hope that something nice will come out of it.

I hope we get enough people interested. Please suggest a location and time. Anywhere that have a small live band or some entertainment would be nice.

Don't shoot me. Just a thought.

enuff
Enuff2Eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2016, 06:43 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm interested.
Old 12-18-2016, 07:08 PM   #3

DW and I might be available, working around DD's visit. Maybe we wait a day or so to get responses and then think about a location depending on where folks live. I already see a long trip for either jazz4cash or me.
jjquantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 07:11 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm about 80 miles from downtown. If available I will definitely show up.

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 07:28 PM   #5

I'm about 120 miles, so probably too far for an evening trip. Once you figure out if you have a group, it's best to send location and time by private message, as this is a public forum and some nitwit insurance agent or annuity salesperson might try to show up. If you decide someplace a little farther north it might work for me. Keep me posted.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 07:30 PM   #6

Well, if you all do get together, please let us know how it goes. I'm too far away and too tied to staying local for personal and family reasons. But perhaps it would be nice to have such meetings perhaps pop up over time in other places. What the hay, if I'm less tied down and still mobile, regular international meet ups in some interesting place(s) may some day be a great idea.
mamadogmamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 07:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadogmamacat View Post
Well, if you all do get together, please let us know how it goes. I'm too far away and too tied to staying local for personal and family reasons. But perhaps it would be nice to have such meetings perhaps pop up over time in other places. What the hay, if I'm less tied down and still mobile, regular international meet ups in some interesting place(s) may some day be a great idea.
actually we are also quite over an hour away from DC but every year my family vacation a few nights in DC during Xmas because we love the museum, white house and DC harbor Christmas light. That's why I ask if someone can suggest a restaurant with entertainment. :-)
Old 12-18-2016, 07:41 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
I'm about 120 miles, so probably too far for an evening trip. Once you figure out if you have a group, it's best to send location and time by private message, as this is a public forum and some nitwit insurance agent or annuity salesperson might try to show up. If you decide someplace a little farther north it might work for me. Keep me posted.

Actually I think it might be quite amusing to see an annuity pitch to this group.
Old 12-18-2016, 08:15 PM   #9

LOL indeed, a you tube video of such a pitch to such a group has potential to be hilarious
mamadogmamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 08:28 PM   #10

The CEO of the megacorp I used to work for had a security detail sweep any room before he entered, looking for IEDs or other threats. Some high net worth folks who have exposed their financial status on this board (I have not and will not) may be a bit leery of appearing in the flesh. It all depends upon your level of paranoia, I guess. 😐
socca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 09:02 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm in the area and might be able to hangout.
daystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 05:36 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Too far for me (Boston/Florida) but I'd suggest lunch might be a better idea considering those who have 80+ miles to get there.

Either way, please post photos!

Then again, does the relative anonymity of this site help us? Does meeting in person thwart a certain ....I don't know....'something'?
Old 12-19-2016, 08:05 AM   #13

Will be visiting DD in ChevyChase over holidays....would be game if it could be arranged.
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 08:20 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

I also live in the DC area (Montgomery County, Md). I'm no help when it comes to restaurants in DC with live entertainment. I stay out of DC for the most part and dine in Northern VA or Md.
AlbaCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 10:01 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbaCrush View Post
I also live in the DC area (Montgomery County, Md). I'm no help when it comes to restaurants in DC with live entertainment. I stay out of DC for the most part and dine in Northern VA or Md.
Come on. Someone pick a place and time. Outside of DC is fine too. May be Fairfax area.

Don't you want to meet me? I am a beautiful blond girl who resemble Charlize Theron and always looking for a Sugar Daddy to accelerate my ER dream...hheheh

Ok. Will try next year if we don't have enough interest.

enuff
Old 12-19-2016, 10:17 AM   #16

Great minds...and all that.

I was just thinking of trying to get together a similar group in SW FL in the next month or so. Marko, it sounds like you might be interested. I"m not sure where you hang out in FL.

I'll put up a separate post after the holidays.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 12:32 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

I'd be interested. I'm on the MD side. But rarely go downtown, so afraid I'm no help with restaurants there. Lunch might be easier for me to get my relatives to babysit, but I'll try to make dinner if I can work it out....
eyeonFI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 01:12 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Maybe "Waiting For Pension" aka "Forced to Retire" will attend, LOL.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 02:33 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
please post photos!
+1

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 05:06 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

How about Bobby McKeys? I've never been there personally
https://g.co/kgs/eyyFxc