ER might just work.......

nun

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
After a whole month of ER, a month that included quarterly real estate tax and water bills, my net worth is up $7k. This ER thing looks easy......a least until the 20% correction hits when I'm sure my mood will change. #shorttermsuccess

Last edited:
Congratulations on your ER. It's great to see your net worth go up after ER, but I wouldn't buy that Lamborghini just yet!!:D

Seriously, having a nice start will make that 20% correction more bearable.

Last edited:
Congratulations on your ER. It's great to see your net worth go up after ER, but I wouldn't buy that Lamborghini just yet!!:D Seriously, having a nice start will make that 20% correction more bearable.

With that Lamborghini reference have you been following the proposed changes to the UK pension system?

There's no fear of me buying an Italian sports car. I have a Honda Civic and used less than a quarter of a tank of gas last month because I did most of my trips on my bike.

With the DOW at an all time high I expect a correction eventually and then I'll see if my ER planning holds water.

Congratulations on your retirement. You can say "wheee" when driving your Lamborghini, but please don't say anything about the market's performance :D

Asset values are less important than cash flow in most instances.

Agreed, so I'm putting dividends into my money market rather than reinvesting them and the $1200/month rental income is nice to have. No mortgage or other debt also means that I've minimized my need for income.

I pulled the plug late last August. The portfolio has increased by 4 year's living expenses since then. It's easy to get a false sense of security when the market keeps going up.

I pulled the plug late last August. The portfolio has increased by 4 year's living expenses since then. It's easy to get a false sense of security when the market keeps going up.

I agree, most of my gain isn't available to me as it's in tax deferred accounts and I'm 52. I'll take income from dividends and investment gains in my taxable accounts when I have them, but I have enough in cash and an accessible stable value fund to last me until 59.5 so I have no need to sell equites if the market is down.

Most of my $7k gain will just compound (hopefully) and get spent post 59.5

Congrats!

You've planned and made a commitment & you'll make it work -correction or no correction. Unless your budget is an absolutely rock-bottom essentials only deal, you'll figure a way to cut back when times are rough & let loose a bit when times are good. I think flexibility is the secret sauce of a successful ER - and it is one of the few things that are in our control.

All the best.

Back
Top Bottom