Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-27-2007, 10:45 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Combination of 2,3 & 4, morphing lately into mostly 4 since investment earnings have been doing a lot better than me slaving away. DD getting closer to grad/job, so I'm going to do it in the next few months. Really.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2007, 11:35 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

You know it, Nords, I'm a 2 plus 3 and a little 6 to a tee. I like to think of it as soul searching which this forum really fosters.

But please add: but but where will I do my bookkeeping, number crunching and internet surfing without the job. You mean I would have to do my errands on my own time? I've done previous transitions where I commute somewhere and go to the library and hang out in coffee shops to do those things. As it is now I have two to three hours a day to do my own stuff (with full pay and bennies). Setting a date helps a lot.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 11:45 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
You forgot: piling it up as fast as I can so I check out as soon as possible.
As a stereotype, you would think we'd see more of that!

For those concerned with the unstable stream of ER income: deal with it. Either pile up more portfolio or buy an annuity. The point of the stereotypes is the near-perpetual angst of dithering over the decision, not the actual decision.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 02:04 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

I am the "brewer type" (piling it up as fast as I can so I check out as soon as possible. My subtype: piler that still enjoys life). I have a financial goal in mind (accumulating financial assets worth 25x current living expenses) and the day Quicken tells me I'm there, I will bid farewell to the working world and call myself retired!

My wife though is type 2. It will never be enough! She wants at least 5M in the bank before calling it quits (though 10M would be "ideal"). We really don't need that kind of money but she just doesn't believe 1.5M would support our lifestyle even though I showed her that FIREcalc and other calculations approve 100%. Oh well, if she wants to keep working, I won't discourage her, especially since her employer offers very generous health benefits... But I have a feeling that at some point she will grow tired of her job. And one day she will realize that her health/sanity is more important than making ever more money and that, REALLY, we don't need 5M to retire.
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 02:20 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What about the "pension" hostages? Some of us have to wait 'til a certain "age" to be eligible to bail with pens/bennies? (ie, lowly paid civil cervants...without fat incomes to pad after tax accounts) There are a few of us here too
Old 09-27-2007, 02:45 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
I am the "brewer type" (piling it up as fast as I can so I check out as soon as possible. My subtype: piler that still enjoys life). I have a financial goal in mind (accumulating financial assets worth 25x current living expenses) and the day Quicken tells me I'm there, I will bid farewell to the working world and call myself retired!
Ditto here. I'd rather work 8 more years and enjoy life outside work than work 7 more years and worry about every penny I spend. That last year will be rough though...
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 02:49 PM   #27
Dryer sheet aficionado

Yea I would rather like to get a nice amount saved up and then get a nice part time job to spend more time home.
Fred333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 07:44 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireup2025 View Post
What about the "pension" hostages? Some of us have to wait 'til a certain "age" to be eligible to bail with pens/bennies? (ie, lowly paid civil cervants...without fat incomes to pad after tax accounts) There are a few of us here too
Count me in as one of them too. I'm just waiting for 55, so I can get a full (reduced) pension.

Also there's a part of me that just want to see how rich I can get.
dmpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 09:28 PM   #29

Another "brewer type" here. Stashing as fast as we can and when the SWR, comfortable living expenses, health care cost lines intersect we are done.

DD
DblDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 04:39 AM   #30

I saw my reflection in mirror #6. Medical insurance is the deal breaker for me and I can see no way around it.
Tom52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 05:16 AM   #31
Dryer sheet aficionado

I think I'd have to say, I'm definately a piler. I'm piling it up as fast as I can, with the objective of semi-retirement / career transition in about 10 years at 55. I'm also piling it on as fast as I can because knowing that I "could" pull the trigger actually makes w*rk a lot more tolerable. There is nothing worst than feeling trapped.

In the meantime, I've decided its okay to spend some money on having a blast. Right now I'm in the work hard, play hard mode. Hopefully, it will make the next 10 years of w*rk enjoyable. When I get close to the time, I'll probably be one of those "one more year" types.
Gekko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 07:53 AM   #32

We have been in the Brewer category.

However there is another category not previously mentioned - those who have worked hard all their life and don't have an identity outside their employment. This is the category that my husband falls into. He has put so much into his various jobs that he has forgotten himself along the way.

Also for him he is scared that even though the numbers show we can make it, he is scared that he will end up like his parents, in their 80s with nothing besides the state pension and a house. As I keep reminding him, his parents have always lived beyond their means and continue to try and do so. We are nothing like them.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 08:59 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
You forgot: piling it up as fast as I can so I check out as soonas possible. Subtypes include the piler that still enjoys life and the piler that worries about using a tissue because of how many seconds it might tack on to their working life.
Sadly, I realize that in brewer's example, I fall into the latter of the two subtypes. I don't like being there. I think I'll have work on becoming a piler that still enjoys life.

This may sound crazy but I may even go to Nordstroms and buy a pair of $59 jeans.
Eyerishgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 09:09 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

I simply don't have enough yet. But I'm piling it on and it won't be too much longer - maybe 5 years?

I fear that I may fall into the "One more year" trap. Do you settle for "enough", or stick it out for the gold?

Is it greed? Yes, but not the kind of greed we usually think of. Its a victimless greed. That's what makes it hard to resist.
slepyhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 10:37 AM   #35
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

For the moment I'm a brewer-style kleenex counter. But when I get closer to FIRE, I may morph into a #3, with a little bit of #4 if I decide I want to cover my kids' college expenses better. May end up being a Cattusbabe heir-style FIREee as well.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 10:42 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
Hey! I resemble that remark.

I am sure I qualify for a several of those categories. Or at the very least, the concerns creep into my thoughts.

Actually, I am very confident in my plan. But that is easy when my planned ER date is a few years away.

Ditto.
I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 11:07 AM   #37

I fall under #1. When I was working a friend and I would often talk about needing an assistant to work for us at home since we didn't have enough time to accomplish what we wanted at home. Now, I have time and I still don't accomplish much But, it sure is nice working for myself now. There is always something that needs to be done and I really do have congratulate myself for being able to get every thing done at work and home during my working years. Don't know how I managed that really. (pat on back)
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 11:13 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyerishgold View Post
This may sound crazy but I may even go to Nordstroms and buy a pair of $59 jeans.
Hey, if you want them THAT badly, then as a diehard LBYM'er (who read the thread about the jeans), I give it my blessing.

Go get 'em!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 11:25 AM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Is there an entry for type which includes people who do not like to work. I keep on reading many posts mentioning relatives not working, living with parents, in garages, that is also a type of early retirement with extreme LYBPM (Potential Means) some times .
landover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 01:46 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Sooo - what is the catagory for the cheap b./frugal who stay that way in ER and Mr Market/portfolio runs away from them in the first decade of ER?

Lucky no. 7? heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh

Bumping up spending too much gets one out of the groove/habit pattern and actually feels uncomfortable. It's a habit thing, I guess.

Slow drift upward seems better.

P.S. started 5% variable in 2006 - just getting wild and frivolous in my old age - probably buy some more hobby stocks - unless I find a kayak I like.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote