Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-09-2016, 11:58 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Washington State would be a wonderful place to retire. Many beautiful areas. Extremely friendly people. Probably our favourite state to visit which is why we have visited so many times. We could not have better neighbours! So to all you Washingtonians...thanks folks for do many happy times in your state. Camping, resorts, and the San Juans.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2016, 12:05 AM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
I dunno, for $700,000 I can get a 10 acre ranch with a 2500 sq ft house and still be closer to Seattle than a hour wait for the Bainbridge ferry.
If you timed the ferry right, then you would not have to wait for an hour.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 03:27 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

If I was going to to retire to Washington,.... Wait! I AM GOING TO RETIRE TO WASHINGTON! To Orcas island.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
OrcasIslandBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 03:28 AM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

BTW you can make reservations for many of the ferrys now, including the San Juan Islands ferrys

Old 03-10-2016, 04:05 AM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

DW loves to watch the TV shows about young couples buying homes. We live in an area where housing has not appreciated much, if at all, (read:economically depressed) for a long time. It would be nice to think someone would fork over a bunch of money for our very modest home on a very modest street ,but it ain't gonna happen.
We were watching one wherein a couple was looking for a home somewhere in San Francisco. Their budget was maybe 800K. They found one listed for 795, but to buy it, it went for over a million.
How is that for a windfall. List for 795 and watch the sharks take the bait until you over a million.
I wonder how real estate bubbles happen.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 05:06 AM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Housing prices are a function of wages. Very few people buy a home for cash and live in it, it's all about monthly the payment.

Every time property taxes or mortgage interest increases, it makes the home worth less, unless wages have a corresponding increases. Demand exceeding supply forces some people to pay a higher percentage of what they can afford, but that eventually stops.

Look for wages available to pay housing costs to go up, or home prices to go down.

Of course 40+ year mortgages, lower qualifications, and government programs, etc. may let the prices run for a few more years.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 06:03 AM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

We are staying in the affordable south (Texas) were $700+ K is three 2,000+ Sq/Ft houses. And, with oil down, it's getting more affordable.
Old 03-10-2016, 07:59 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcasIslandBound View Post
If I was going to to retire to Washington,.... Wait! I AM GOING TO RETIRE TO WASHINGTON! To Orcas island.

good call - someone I worked with in Houston retired there several years ago
Old 03-10-2016, 07:59 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
We are staying in the affordable south (Texas) were $700+ K is three 2,000+ Sq/Ft houses. And, with oil down, it's getting more affordable.
definitely more affordable than SEA/PDX but IMO much less livable
Old 03-10-2016, 08:52 AM   #50
gone traveling

I sold my 432 sq ft condo in Ballard last April. It went for $225,000 and even the real estate agent was amazed. Two more years and I am done with Seattle.
hurricane harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 08:58 AM   #51
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
As usual, house prices are so relative: 700k /6000sf = $117/ sf, which might
pay the hard construction costs only in Seattle. That leaves lot, entitlements, design and any other soft cost off the budget.
Of course if oil rises to 75 in the next couple years, houses in your area will likely follow proportionally.

There are plenty here who would find Seattle to be untenable, and it is testing the patience of those who have been here a while, as we remember how it "was".

There probably wasn't cheap accommodation in the Klondike during the rush, and the tech gold around here so far keeps rolling. When it stops, we may be buying homes below replacement cost, too [if we're still here]

Rumor has it that Oracle is looking for 3000+ personnel for it's new cloud initiative here; that's in addition to the vacuum that exists in software talent supply. SpaceX is apparently poaching Boeing and Microsoft for engineers for it's new venture a few miles south of here. These are all paying remarkable salaries.

That said, it's still possible to drive 1 - 1.5 hours east and be in the desert, or 2.5 hrs to the ocean. It ends up being your perception of what you have to give up for what you get in a living location. Good thing we don't all like the same circumstances...
bld999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 09:03 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
definitely more affordable than SEA/PDX but IMO much less livable
Sorry, I couldn't hear you for the moss that is growing on my head from this miserable wet winter in Seattle.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 09:09 AM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Yep, that's the other area right near the top of our Nice Place to Visit list. We'll be there (well, specifically, Lopez Island) in June!

(Our absolute favorite place is the Victoria BC area on Vancouver Island. If it weren't such a PITA for a US retiree to relocate there, it's likely that's where we would have wound up. We looked into it, but, nah. We're not wealthy enough to be able to manage that.)
Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 09:21 AM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

We can hardly wait. September 1st!

Old 03-10-2016, 09:22 AM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Sorry, I couldn't hear you for the moss that is growing on my head from this miserable wet winter in Seattle.
Maybe you can weave garments from the moss, sell them on street corners, and use the profits to help pay for the insanely high housing costs in Seattle. Just kidding around.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 09:28 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We can hardly wait. September 1st!

I have a ton of pictures of Orcas Island and the other nearby islands from our last sailing trip. We stopped on Orcas and ate lunch (actually I think we spent the night at the marina there). Very pretty area.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 09:41 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bld999 View Post
As usual, house prices are so relative: 700k /6000sf = $117/ sf, which might
pay the hard construction costs only in Seattle. That leaves lot, entitlements, design and any other soft cost off the budget.
Of course if oil rises to 75 in the next couple years, houses in your area will likely follow proportionally.

There are plenty here who would find Seattle to be untenable, and it is testing the patience of those who have been here a while, as we remember how it "was".
I first came here during the Vietnam War. The Smith Tower was the tallest building in town, and once the workday was over not many people around downtown other than military and whores. Boeing was King, and the big Boeing bust was starting. Soon came Gates and Redmond, and a fantastic transformation. I have 2 sons whose lives were basically formed by the wonderful climate of opportunity for talent and initiative that defined this area, and IMO still does. Seattle has been very good to my family. Big department stores were Frederick and Nelson, The Bon Marché, asd upstart Nordstrom. There were no grocery carts full of bedding shoved into sheltered spaces, and little panhandling at least that I remember.

Ha
Old 03-10-2016, 09:53 AM   #58
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I first came here during the Vietnam War. The Smith Tower was the tallest building in town, and once the workday was over not many people around downtown other than military and whores. Boeing was King, and the big Boeing bust was starting. Soon came Gates and Redmond, and a fantastic transformation. I have 2 sons whose lives were basically formed by the wonderful climate of opportunity for talent and initiative that defined this area, and IMO still does. Seattle has been very good to my family. Big department stores were Frederick and Nelson, The Bon Marché, asd upstart Nordstrom. There were no grocery carts full of bedding shoved into sheltered spaces, and little panhandling at least that I remember.

Ha
My wife and I met at UW 1970; as Garcia said, "what a long strange trip it's been" , and I agree on the opportunity and sheer force of ideas and innovation. No shortage of cool stuff going on.
San Francisco had always had the tenderloin, Vancouver the downtown eastside, etc. It's an irritation, but my engagement with that stuff is minimal, so it just becomes a human story to me.
bld999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 09:54 AM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I have a ton of pictures of Orcas Island and the other nearby islands from our last sailing trip. We stopped on Orcas and ate lunch (actually I think we spent the night at the marina there). Very pretty area.
Next time you are near orcas and need a "keel schwein" to help man the tiller for a while, give me a ring! After September 1st of course.

Old 03-10-2016, 11:48 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretah View Post

So the good people who would make great caregivers, repairmen, etc, all leave to find jobs where they are paid decently.
I had a good chuckle over that one. In my area there are many hi-tech, highly paid couples looking for daycare for their children but can't find what they want. These people who might gross 200,000+ a year in combined salary still want the child care workers to get at most $20 an hour. This in an area where a plain-Jane one bedroom apartment rents for $1500+ a month. Gosh, it is any wonder they can't find help?

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote