Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-10-2016, 12:15 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
Sorry, I couldn't hear you for the moss that is growing on my head from this miserable wet winter in Seattle.
Head east Young Man! A few days in the Palm Springs of the Northwest (Yakima) and you'll be sufficiently dry.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2016, 09:54 AM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

This should reduce home values in the Seattle area:

​Anticipating the next mega-quake

Quote:
The quake could displace a million people from northern California to southern Canada. Large parts of Seattle, Portland and Vancouver will crumble.
Old 03-11-2016, 10:44 AM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
Eh, I have a waterfront home (riverfront) about 2/3 acre with 150 feet of frontage 40 min from Seattle and I will sell my 4500sqft home for the first $300k that comes along.
Which river? I'm guessing south or east of Seattle. Homes in Tacoma are probably half the price.
supernova72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 10:50 AM   #64
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
This should reduce home values in the Seattle area:

​Anticipating the next mega-quake

We could all fit in Texas, though.
bld999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 12:40 PM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bld999 View Post
We could all fit in Texas, though.
Maybe - provided could you afford to buy an 1800 SF house in the suburbs of Muleshoe, which will then be priced at $1.5M.
Old 03-11-2016, 01:49 PM   #66

All kidding aside, I used to think Seattle was a pretty great city, but every time I've visited in the last ten years or so, I leave scratching my head and wondering how people can put up with that traffic.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 02:01 PM   #67
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
... wondering how people can put up with that traffic.
Because it is still better than LA?

About the quake, they said the tsunami may cause the sea to rise 50 ft, but Seattle is deep in the Puget Sound, and the complex coastline will slow down the surge. Wonder if those waterfront homes on low-bank lots would be safe. Good thing I cannot afford one right now. After the quake hits, I will be up there home shopping.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 03:25 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Because it is still better than LA?

About the quake, they said the tsunami may cause the sea to rise 50 ft, but Seattle is deep in the Puget Sound, and the complex coastline will slow down the surge. Wonder if those waterfront homes on low-bank lots would be safe. Good thing I cannot afford one right now. After the quake hits, I will be up there home shopping.
Don't wait too long Plate tectonics is just like honey badger, it could take forever for the next big one. All that traffic is one indication of how little people include earthquake fears into their near term calculations. Look at the San Andreas, and So Cal is loaded with population.

Plus, once the price of oil goes back up and Texas starts injecting produced water, Muleshoe will be shakin' too.
bld999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 03:39 PM   #69
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bld999 View Post
As usual, house prices are so relative: 700k /6000sf = $117/ sf, which might
pay the hard construction costs only in Seattle. That leaves lot, entitlements, design and any other soft cost off the budget.
Of course if oil rises to 75 in the next couple years, houses in your area will likely follow proportionally.
Doubt it, A 2,000 square foot home in The Woodlands (where I mentioned the price) was at this level during the high oil prices. Even in the nicest areas here in our area, $200/sq. ft. is about tops. And The Woodlands is a highly desirable area in the Houston metroplex and is becoming the oil and gas center of the area. I believe the lower prices have a lot to do with the abundance of cheap labor (large low educated Hispanic population) and lots of competition within the building trades.

Granted, in some of the "old money" exclusive areas of Houston, prices command higher per sq. ft. values.
Old 03-11-2016, 03:53 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rec7 View Post
50k for the same thing in a small town in Missouri
Amen. Just sold a three bedroom, one bathroom, 1000 sq ft, 1970, Leave it to Beaver house for 60k in a bedroom town North of Kansas City. Bought for 85k post Katrina.

heh heh heh - Ouch! Proceeds will go to remodel current 1922 Craftsman Bungalow. . Don't ya just love Mr Market er ? Location, location, location.

Seattle prices have always seemed high - except for the Boeing bust 1969-early 70's.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 10:29 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
Seattle prices have always seemed high - except for the Boeing bust 1969-early 70's.
This is my take also. I have spent most of the last 50 years here,
and the Boeing Bust is the only time I can remember when it truly seemed a no-brainer to buy rentals here. From time to time you might speculate on neighborhood improvement, but it took skill and some luck to win.

There was a similar aerospace recession in LA about the same time, but LA was much more diversified so it didn't seem so important to all SoCal business the way Boeing's trouble did up here.

Ha
Old 03-11-2016, 10:34 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Granted, in some of the "old money" exclusive areas of Houston, prices command higher per sq. ft. values.
Aja, would that be like River Oaks?

Ha
Old 03-13-2016, 10:29 AM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

Pacific NW, San Juan Islands, Seattle and a bunch of landmass is, yes, in the Cascadia subduction fault zone. The potentially large earthquake that can result here will make the SF earthquake seem like a walk in the park. Furthermore, the PNW gov didn't even realize this and actually change the building code until about 1995. So... Even with all this, I'm very glad to be planning on moving to Orcas Island in 5 1/2 months. We've kind of decided that this will be the price to pay for living there, even if it might kill us.

That being said, I think I would think twice about buying some sort of condo in Seattle built in the 70's. Multi-story + pre-earthquake code does not sound like a good recipe. Our house on Orcas, luckily, was built in 2001 and probably will withstand the big one, we hope. Many parts of Orcas are solid rock, a somewhat different substrate then certain areas around Seattle that will likely amplify an earthquake.

Also, I think the real fault line is a bit out to sea in the west, so hopefully the little bit of distance will slightly reduce the impact strength.
OrcasIslandBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 11:45 AM   #74
Give me a forum ...

One of the things I found interesting here in Nor Cal is that with many of the townhomes and condos we looked, the HOA did not seem to carry, or require homeowners to carry, earthquake insurance. I wasn't sure what would happen if we bought into a multi-housing unit of some type and had quake damage or had to do a complete rebuild. With our single family home, worst case we would probably just rebuild a smaller house on the same lot we have now. I'm not sure what would happen if we had a townhouse and we could rebuild but our attached neighbors did not have the savings to do so, which seems like a high probability scenario given average savings rates.

I used to work with geologists and they helped me pick a suburb to live in not directly over any of the known major faultlines, but a big enough quake or an unmapped faultline is still always a risk.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 12:13 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
One of the things I found interesting here in Nor Cal is that with many of the townhomes and condos we looked, the HOA did not seem to carry, or require homeowners to carry, earthquake insurance. I wasn't sure what would happen if we bought into a multi-housing unit of some type and had quake damage or had to do a complete rebuild. With our single family home, worst case we would probably just rebuild a smaller house on the same lot we have now. I'm not sure what would happen if we had a townhouse and we could rebuild but our attached neighbors did not have the savings to do so, which seems like a high probability scenario given average savings rates.
With a condo, EQ insurance held by the unit owner only protects the unit owner. The association owns the buildings, the unit-owner owns from the interior walls into the contents of the unit.

I would be more concerned if the association DID NOT hold EQ insurance, if you are looking in an area prone to many small quakes. That said, the deductible will still have the association fixing/assessing for most modest damage.

In the Seattle urban area, in a small townhouse complex, the deductible is $25,000 per building. Most townhouse complexes have multiple buildings.

Secondly, if you are serious about buying a condo, you should look at the Codes, Covenants, and Restrictions document (CCR's) for the clause that explains what happens in the event of a total loss. Most likely, earthquake total loss is not the top reason for total loss, but fire.

- Rita
Old 03-13-2016, 12:25 PM   #76

From the models I've seen, as long as you don't live in Seattle proper, directly on the coast, or in the Fife lowlands, you should be fine.

My boss said a few years ago that he used to not like seismic retrofit jobs because it felt like stealing from future work (he was mostly joking of course). But he's been in the business 40 years and never had to replace a bridge due to earthquake damage. So retrofits have proven to be good for the construction business.

If this fault waits another 30 years (not so long for a these things, it might wait another century) we could be mostly ready for it.
Old 03-13-2016, 02:49 PM   #77

If you live through the earthquake you should be fine financially even if the house is destroyed. The value is mostly the dirt in the Seattle area.
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 03:10 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireAge50 View Post
If you live through the earthquake you should be fine financially even if the house is destroyed. The value is mostly the dirt in the Seattle area.
Except when the dirt slides into Puget Sound like it has in certain parts already.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 03:19 PM   #79
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Aja, would that be like River Oaks?

Ha
Yes, that's one area that has a lot of old money.
Old 03-13-2016, 03:23 PM   #80
Recycles dryer sheets

This link gives a pretty good description of the Cascadia Fault http://www.alternet.org/environment/...ive-earthquake

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
OrcasIslandBound is offline   Reply With Quote