Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-13-2016, 06:10 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcasIslandBound View Post
This link gives a pretty good description of the Cascadia Fault An Epic Earthquake Is Predicted to Hit the Pacific Northwest —Â*and It’s Totally Terrifying | Alternet

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
I used to think beachfront property in Nevada. Guess I can diversify by betting on beachfront for the Cascades.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2016, 08:35 PM   #82
Give me a forum ...

It's going to hit where T-Al lives. Close to a triple junction!
Old 03-14-2016, 03:46 PM   #83
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post

Let's not wish disaster on our friends! 😊
Old 03-14-2016, 04:42 PM   #84
Give me a forum ...

I recall reading where the PNW just had the wettest winter in recorded history. Mud and moss everywhere.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 05:21 PM   #85
Give me a forum ...

Not just earthquake, but rising sea level threatens the West Coast, actually the entire coastline of the US. The saving grace is that it is slow and gives people many decades if not 100 years to move away.

The graphics below comes from this Bloomberg article: Up to 13 Million Americans Are at Risk of Being Washed Away - Bloomberg Business. The word "washed away" is too strong. Some may barely get water ankle-deep, and the salt water to ruin their lawn.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 06:37 PM   #86
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Not just earthquake, but rising sea level threatens the West Coast, actually the entire coastline of the US. The saving grace is that it is slow and gives people many decades if not 100 years to move away.

The graphics below comes from this Bloomberg article: Up to 13 Million Americans Are at Risk of Being Washed Away - Bloomberg Business. The word "washed away" is too strong. Some may barely get water ankle-deep, and the salt water to ruin their lawn.

I may not understand that map, but it seems to show the Olympic Mountains and much of the Cascades being inundated. Kind of doubt that.

Ha
Old 03-14-2016, 06:39 PM   #87
Give me a forum ...

The Olympics are only 8000 or so feet high. If a big enough water-ice comet hit...
Fermion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 06:57 PM   #88
Give me a forum ...

I also observed that the map shows political boundaries, perhaps county limits. So, they count the population that may be affected along the coastline, and the map does not really show the possibly affected terrain. The latter would be more interesting.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 03-14-2016, 07:27 PM   #89
Full time employment: Posting here.

I think you are right, they are county lines.

But even if the mountains weren't inundated, they could explode like Saint Helens, and cause plenty of worry. This is a dangerous place
bld999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 07:44 PM   #90
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
T-Al is no scaredy cat. I remember a thread where he talked about moving into a tiny home that's right on the ocean front. That's a lot lower elevation from where he is now, I believe.

Old 03-14-2016, 08:55 PM   #91
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
T-Al is no scaredy cat. I remember a thread where he talked about moving into a tiny home that's right on the ocean front. That's a lot lower elevation from where he is now, I believe.
I know where I definitely do not want to be if there is a tsunami-Ocean Shores WA!

https://www.google.com/#q=Ocean+Shores+WA+Map

Back in the last RE downturn I saw some interesting ads on Craig's List for cabins out there. I though I could do some surf and jetty fishing, and not tie up much money.

But then I decided that people might be shooting one another to get off that spit if a tsunami were on the way, so no thanks.

Ha
Old 03-14-2016, 10:28 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I know where I definitely do not want to be if there is a tsunami-Ocean Shores WA!
I often thought much the same whenever I visited the beautiful beaches over there after that Boxing Day in 2004. But I also noticed that, right next to the Shoalwater Bay Indian Tribe's Admin Bldg./local health clinic, there is a tall sturdy tree one could climb if you're life depended upon it.
Birdie Num Nums is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 10:32 PM   #93
Give me a forum ...

I visited Ocean Shores in my RV trek last year, and indeed people there would be trapped if a tsunami strikes. In 1946, a 7.8-Richter-scale earthquake in the Aleutian Islands in Alaska caused a 46-ft-high tsunami to strike Hilo (Hawaii) 2500 miles away. In Ocean Shores, there are not too many buildings taller than 46 ft to escape to.

But then, all along the northern western coast, there are many places where one would be trapped without an easy way to flee to higher ground. One often has to drive many miles along the coast before getting to a road going east to get further inland.

Old 03-14-2016, 10:53 PM   #94
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyras View Post
HMMMM....LOL....My bro just sold his Lake Washington home for close to 10M. He bought one on Lake Sammamish for 2.5M, but its a fixer from the 70's.

I think maybe something on Lake Easton, (Snoqualmie Pass) might be available for <1M, but under some decent snow in the winter.....
I missed this post until now.

Yes, homes on the shore of Lake Washington or Mercer Island are very expensive, and big too. But on Bainbridge Island, I saw many nice homes, not mansions, on Rockaway Rd going for less than $1M a few years ago. Quite reasonable for a view of the Seattle skyline and the Space Needle across the bay.

Old 03-15-2016, 01:33 AM   #95
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I missed this post until now.

Yes, homes on the shore of Lake Washington or Mercer Island are very expensive, and big too. But on Bainbridge Island, I saw many nice homes, not mansions, on Rockaway Rd going for less than $1M a few years ago. Quite reasonable for a view of the Seattle skyline and the Space Needle across the bay.
In contrast, you can by a home on Buffalo Bayou outside of Houston for <$100K and have a view of the Houston city skyline and all the traffic (no Space Needle). You would also get to experience a 12" rainstorm from time to time and watch your house fill up with water.
Old 03-15-2016, 04:13 AM   #96
Recycles dryer sheets

Our place in Orcas is 200' above sea level at the DW's insistence when we bought it. You can "feel" a tsunami coming I think.

If the big one hits Seattle skyline might be very similar to the Huston skyline, no space needle.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
OrcasIslandBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 06:54 AM   #97

Beware the coming ice age!

Seattle was under the ice just 18,000 years ago (a blink of the eye geologically speaking):

mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 09:25 AM   #98
Give me a forum ...

Oh boy! Where would the Canadians go?

Old 03-15-2016, 09:44 AM   #99
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Oh boy! Where would the Canadians go?
To a bar.
Old 03-15-2016, 09:48 AM   #100
Recycles dryer sheets

Boy, this has turned into an earthquake thread vs "ER's flock to Seattle".
supernova72 is offline   Reply With Quote