ER's flock to Seattle

Wow, what an insane price for that house, if it is as small as it appears to be! My dream house cost less than 1/3 as much and it is everything I will ever want and more.

I'm not headed for Seattle. It's probably a beautiful place to live, but maybe a bit too pricey for me. Here's what you can get in my suburb, for under $700K:

1713 Palm St, Metairie, LA 70001 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

Not that I would ever spend that much anyway! :LOL: With only one of me, I don't need the hassle of a place that big. We are having a bit of a housing bubble here too, right now, but I have never seen a home sell for more than the asking price.

Last edited:
How about this mini-mansion for $717,000?

This is what happens when you have zero interest rates. All assets get bid up to (perhaps) ridiculous prices. That and Chinese money looking for "safe" non-Chinese assets puts strong upward pressure on housing.

I'll bet that this house goes for quite a bit less than $717k in 10 years or so.

I live in Seattle and moved from the suburbs to SEA in 2003. At the time thought I overpaid for my basic craftsman style home. Now when a house goes up for sale in my neighborhood there are multiple offers for a home in the first three days of the listing going live.

The place next to me was listed for $639K and sold for $667.5K. Yea. Young couple in their 30's.

Amazon has had a huge influence in the housing shortage with their hiring frenzy in tech. There are some wild stats about how many deals are cash deals too. Who woulda thunk?

Most folks on the east coast think we still ride horses to work and don't realize it's become a tech centric location with Microsoft, AMZ, SBUX, all headquartered here. Expedia is moving downtown SEA soon plus Weyerhaeuser too. I'm thankful I bought my place when I did..

This is what happens when you have zero interest rates. All assets get bid up to (perhaps) ridiculous prices. That and Chinese money looking for "safe" non-Chinese assets puts strong upward pressure on housing.

I'll bet that this house goes for quite a bit less than $717k in 10 years or so.
Except new housing is still being build at a rate less than where it was 20 years ago, existing home sales are just above their average from the late 90's, and cash sales (foreign buyers and investors) are at their their average before the housing boom.

This is not a nation-wide trend. There are just a few areas in the country where housing prices have risen this way.

http://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/...uch-seattle-home-values-will-climb-in.html#i1

Or maybe not. How about this mini-mansion for $717,000?

Anyone remember back in '09-'11 when pundits told us that no one would ever buy a house again? And that existing houses would forever be underwater on their loans?

Ha

While I'm pretty sure pundits didn't actually say that, I find it somewhat comforting that the housing market has NOT fully recovered, yet. Prices are mostly back up (depending on the region) and remodeling has surpassed 2005 levels, but new home construction is still *way* down. That's a good thing, IMHO.

New Home Construction Creeping Towards Recovery, But Still Far Behind Residential Remodeling

If I were going to retire in the Puget sound area, I'd retire in port angeles.

If I were going to retire in the Puget sound area, I'd retire in port angeles.

A very nice area! We considered moving up there, but we ultimately decided to stay in Northern CA. The Port Angeles & Port Townsend areas are high on our nice places to visit list, in fact we'll be in PA late May-early June.

All assets get bid up to (perhaps) ridiculous prices. That and Chinese money looking for "safe" non-Chinese assets puts strong upward pressure on housing.

Lots of Chinese and Indian buyers in the market when we sold our SF East Bay area home last year. We were an easy commute to Facebook, Google, etc., and we got what I thought was an exorbitant amount for our home ... not that I'm complaining. :blush:

50k for the same thing in a small town in Missouri

Go East to Flyover Country young men and women. The West coast is to expensive.

I would think that you could get a nice double-size mud-hut somewhere like Zimbabwe for much much less than anything in the Midwest.

Seattle housing prices are a function of: low inventory, lack of condominium building due to state law requiring the developer be held responsible for a full year after releasing the project, relative difficulty in starting new construction due to cities' oversight and permitting, higher wages for technology workers, and influx of money from China for cash sales.

But it's cyclical. All it will take is Boeing deciding they want to move more work to South Carolina, and that will put a pinprick in the real estate market. Amazon, Microsoft, and Expedia (for a few) are committed to retaining their presence in the area which continues to drive most employment growth/housing prices.

A few more years of Bertha getting stuck and the property taxes on that house in Seattle will be $700,000 a year.

50k for the same thing in a small town in Missouri

Being from Mo myself and acquainted with small rural towns here, I thought you may be making a flippant comment. So I checked the link out, and your comment Rec probably cant be too far off the mark in the right little place. Landscaping upgrades wont get you much increase in value in small rural towns either. It just makes them stick out like sore thumbs. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If I lived up on the Puget Sound, would buy away from the city. Less expensive, and less crowded too. I might even be able to get a waterfront home for less than $1M. Or not, as I have not window-shopped for a while.

HMMMM....LOL....My bro just sold his Lake Washington home for close to 10M. He bought one on Lake Sammamish for 2.5M, but its a fixer from the 70's.

I think maybe something on Lake Easton, (Snoqualmie Pass) might be available for <1M, but under some decent snow in the winter.....

It is amazing the folks who work for Mr Softie up the road from us pay >1M for a small lot <6000sqft, but a three story home >4000sqft. They hate to hire someone from their home country to mow the lawn....

We own a log home on 7 acres, but quickly found that King County owns the land use rights, can't even gravel your driveway without permission. Go figure, this is a very bad state to live in if your not willing to share your property and wealth with those the state deems to deserve it better.

Eh, I have a waterfront home (riverfront) about 2/3 acre with 150 feet of frontage 40 min from Seattle and I will sell my 4500sqft home for the first $300k that comes along.

Eh, I have a waterfront home (riverfront) about 2/3 acre with 150 feet of frontage 40 min from Seattle and I will sell my 4500sqft home for the first $300k that comes along.

How deep is that water today? I had to stop spreading top soil with my tractor due to the down pour, even though I am quite well drained up on the hill here. I am hoping that the West Snoqualmie Road is still open, as you know the river floods the valley quite often this time of year. Or are you up the river by Gold Bar?

My guess is that that home in Phoenix would go for $150K-200K, depending on the location.

If I lived up on the Puget Sound, would buy away from the city. Less expensive, and less crowded too. I might even be able to get a waterfront home for less than $1M. Or not, as I have not window-shopped for a while.
Seattle Business Weekly just published a list of the various prices in different King County communities. King County is by far the most expensive Washington county, for sales and rents.

Most expensive are the high end eastside communities like Bellevue, Kirkland, Mercer Island, and ultra high end Lake Washington communities like Yarrow Point, Clyde Hill, Hunt's Point and Medina. Next is Seattle. While there are extremely expensive residences in Seattle like downtown, Washington Park, etc., these are greatly diluted by all the less expensive homes and condos to make for a lower average and median. I think that overall, the Eastside is more expensive than Seattle, and Seattle is more expensive than north King County, and South King County.

There is a strong preference on this board for suburban and exurban and rural living. But that does not seem to be the case in a wider group. Even Metros in the Midwest where the robbers are often ahead of the cops, downtown living has picked up. My Central Seattle Condo has doubled in price in 4 years. For me it is perfect. My girlfriend and I have been going to symphonies and music salons and art galleries frequently. Catch a bus across from my building, downtown in 10 minutes, Or if the weather is better than it has been lately, walk in 25 minutes. We can have a drink or snack before returning home with no concern about driving rules. (Neither of us will drive if we have had anything alcoholic to drink.)

I did live out of town, and like the 60 miles to the beach, 60 miles to the mountains realtor's slogan, 60 miles to the city tends to make evening trips few and far between, or at least it did for me and everyone else that I knew.

Similar to when I lived in the East Coast. I loved NYC, but going into the city did not appeal to me, other than an occasional trip in on the train.

It all depends on what you like. I have no wife to mollify with a big house, so true urban living is really no more expensive for me than other choices that I already know are not so attractive to me. Also, although Seattle obviously does have crime, not enough to trip my "get out of Dodge" warnings.

Ha

Last edited:
If I lived up on the Puget Sound, would buy away from the city. Less expensive, and less crowded too.

Good idea.

When people retire to a very HCoL area, they forget something: who will take care of them later.

Expensive cities like San Francisco, CA, Seattle, WA, and Vancouver, BC, are unaffordable places for repairmen, caregivers, lawn maintenance people, etc.

My town has a medium CoL but well over half the population is over 60 years old. There are more entry-level workers than jobs, so the employers take advantage of that and pay less than what should be paid. So the good people who would make great caregivers, repairmen, etc, all leave to find jobs where they are paid decently. And the seniors gripe about why no one reliable stays. They caused the problem!

So NWBound has it right: move to the suburbs for the best of city living with access for the workers who can help us when we need it later.

Ha, wait until the RV and tent city crowd in Ballard set up in front of your condo :D

Back
Top Bottom