Join Early Retirement Today

estate and inheritance taxes
Old 09-08-2021, 10:15 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

estate and inheritance taxes

17 states levy a 'death' tax; apparently about 10%(?) above 1 to 7M$.

What I am not sure about is : it the deceased state or the person receiving the inheritance state? or both?

https://www.aarp.org/money/taxes/inf...nce-taxes.html
perinova is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2021, 10:33 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Generally speaking, in most cases I would say the deceased's state would be the one to worry about. Deceased's property/assets would be considered as domiciled in that state and that state's laws would rule. I do not know the laws of all states, but generally, estate distributions are "tax-free" to the recipient, so it would not matter where the recipient lived. If one (who is to be a recipient) lives in a state with "inheritance" taxes, that person should look up their own state's laws on whether inheritances received from out-of-state decedents would be subject to any inheritance tax in the recipient's state.
Old 09-08-2021, 11:45 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Oregon thinks if you are a resident and have an estate over 1M it is appropriate to share the wealth on the overage - at about the 10% rate. If you aren't a resident you pay a fractional amount for Oregon real estate and tangible personal property - but NOT on non-Oregon intangible property, non-Oregon real estate, and non-Oregon tangible property.
Intangible property includes stocks, bonds, notes, currency, bank deposits. This intangible property wrinkle may turn me into (shudder) a Californican. Lawyer chat is coming up for us.

Dead guy's estate pays the tax.
Old 09-09-2021, 07:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by perinova View Post
17 states levy a 'death' tax; apparently about 10%(?) above 1 to 7M$.

What I am not sure about is : it the deceased state or the person receiving the inheritance state? or both?

https://www.aarp.org/money/taxes/inf...nce-taxes.html
in our case it's the decedant's state. my BIL passed away in CA last March. CA does not levy an inheritance tax whereas IL, where we live, does. had he died in IL we'd have to pony up. and even better...his estate is well under the federal threshhold of $11m.
Dispatcher, then shift supv, then administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 07:53 PM   #5

I made a mistake when my MIL died. She lived in PA and they had a 10% tax. We lived in CA, so I should have told them I would make an offer of a smaller amount
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 07:55 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

^^^ Huh?

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 07:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
^^^ Huh?

I should have tried to negotiate a lower amount, since I had no property or ties to PA, and I lived in CA. I do not think they would come after me.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 08:14 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, they would.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 08:19 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
I should have tried to negotiate a lower amount, since I had no property or ties to PA, and I lived in CA. I do not think they would come after me.
Yes they would..they take their money before you get your money
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 08:20 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
in our case it's the decedant's state. my BIL passed away in CA last March. CA does not levy an inheritance tax whereas IL, where we live, does. had he died in IL we'd have to pony up. and even better...his estate is well under the federal threshhold of $11m.
The proverbial dancing on your grave
Old 09-09-2021, 08:28 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The PA guy would call the CA guy and before you know it your accounts would be frozen.

There is a member here who PA froze all of their Vanguard accounts, including accounts that didn't receive any money from the estate and it caused them a mess.

Old 09-09-2021, 08:42 PM   #12

Generally, estate taxes are levied on the estate before distribution to heirs (tax on the estate) and inheritance taxes are levied on the beneficiary (tax on inheritance). It may or may not matter where the recipient lives.

But, PA for example calls it an inheritance tax but it is a tax on the estate and paid by the estate regardless of where the recipient lives so it is really an estate tax calculated by the beneficiary's relationship to the deceased. [mod edit] Though in MD both taxes are collected where the decedent lived. Good for me because DM lives in PA. PA will take their chunk and I don't think I have to pay MD on top of that.

https://taxfoundation.org/state-esta...ance-tax-2021/

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
USGrant1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 08:44 PM   #13

I am confused. Are we talking about estate tax or inheritance tax? They are different. The state of the decedent issues a tax on the amount of their estate. The inheritance tax is a tax levied on the beneficiary of the estate. Some states do one some states do the other. ̶I̶f̶ ̶s̶o̶m̶e̶ ̶u̶n̶l̶u̶c̶k̶y̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶s̶o̶n̶ ̶h̶a̶d̶ ̶a̶n̶ ̶i̶n̶h̶e̶r̶i̶t̶a̶n̶c̶e̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶m̶ ̶a̶n̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶s̶t̶a̶t̶e̶,̶ ̶c̶o̶n̶c̶e̶i̶v̶a̶b̶l̶y̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶e̶s̶t̶a̶t̶e̶ ̶g̶o̶t̶ ̶t̶a̶x̶e̶d̶ ̶A̶N̶D̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶b̶e̶n̶e̶f̶i̶c̶i̶a̶r̶y̶ ̶a̶l̶s̶o̶ ̶g̶o̶t̶ ̶t̶a̶x̶e̶d̶.̶ ̶ Both have a rather generous base that is tax free. FWIW, there is no federal inheritance tax.

edit: According to https://www.thebalance.com/inheritan...-taxes-3505471, the state inheritance tax is levied on the beneficiary based on the decedent's state, not the beneficiaries state.
Quote:
How the Inheritance Tax Works
Let's say you live in California—which does not have an inheritance tax—and you inherit from your uncle's estate. He lived in Kentucky at the time of his death. You would owe Kentucky a tax on your inheritance because Kentucky is one of the six states that collect a state inheritance tax.
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 09:10 PM   #14

Quote:
First, I don't know where you got 10%. PA is 4.5% on direct descendants, 12% on siblings, and 15% on others - and the tax is paid by the estate. The executor files PA form REV-1500, Inheritance Tax Return Resident Decedent.

It has nothing to do with where beneficiary lives.

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
USGrant1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 09:38 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by USGrant1962 View Post
First, I don't know where you got 10%. PA is 4.5% on direct descendants, 12% on siblings, and 15% on others - and the tax is paid by the estate. The executor files PA form REV-1500, Inheritance Tax Return Resident Decedent.

Yep I got hit by the 15%...right off the top
Old 09-10-2021, 06:49 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by USGrant1962 View Post

Yes, among other things, this is how we in PA can maintain (so far) a low 3.07% state income tax across all levels of income. Some counties do also levy a 1% additional income tax but we are still low. People have been crossing the Delaware River in groves to escape the high NJ income tax. I was one of them 15 years ago.
phil1ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 07:47 AM   #17
Administrator

Snarky state references only detract from otherwise thoughtful thread discussions, so let’s please stop making them.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 01:52 PM   #18

So what would happen if you just transferred everything (including real estate) to a revocable living trust.

But it was domiciled outside of the state with inheritance taxes?
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 04:52 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
So what would happen if you just transferred everything (including real estate) to a revocable living trust.

BIL passed away in CA (no death tax there). my wife is sole beneficiary. we’re doing a 2-step process. everything he left to her that was in his trust was transfered to her control with the EIN issued by the IRS for his estate. from there those trust assets are being transfered to our trust (my SS#) which was created here in IL. neither those accounts or his taxable accounts when transfered to our trust or simply deposited in our bank created a tax event in IL (according to our CPA and atty).
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 04:59 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post

The relevant factor is where the decedent was resident, not where the trust is organized. If the decedent lived for more than 186 days in a state with an estate tax, absent circumstances that indicate otherwise, the state will want its cut.