Estimated fee to be an Executor of an estate

I wouldn’t charge, but I have never done it before, but someday will. It could be a PITA, I guess it depends on the complexity of the estate. Any estimates on the amount of work (hours, days) it took?

I was the executor of my dad's estate. I took $10/hour. That was a decade ago. I'm sure you could charge more if you wanted to -- the work is certainly worth more than 10 bucks an hour. I just didn't want to feel guilty about charging my siblings, so I kept my "fee" very modest. I let my siblings know, and of course they were fine with it. It didn't add up to much, but it kept me from feeling resentful. Being an executor can be a chore.

Last edited:
I was the executor of my dad's estate. I took $10/hour. That was a decade ago. I'm sure you could charge more if you wanted to -- the work is certainly worth more than 10 bucks an hour. I just didn't want to feel guilty about charging my siblings, so I kept my "fee" very modest. I let my siblings know, and of course they were fine with it. It didn't add up to much, but it kept me from feeling resentful. Being an executor can be a chore.

Yeah, I wish the job on no one. A lot of work getting through all bureaucracy rules and regulations.

Anyone begrudging you that should get coal in their stocking.

Yes, if the work was paid like a CPA would charge, that's the baseline. Anything less is pro-bono.

I was 1/3 of a like size estate, and my cousin was the executor. He'd been looking over my aunt's business for about 10 years after senility reared its ugly face. She was 3 months short of 100 years old.

He asked that his 1/3 of the estate also include $20,000 for his time, and we agreed that it was reasonable. The attorney was a close friend of my aunt, and he handled the probate for far less than normal. The worse part was negotiating a buyout on a real estate partnership when the partners were both attorneys and CPA's.

Throw the subject at your siblings and see what they think your time is worth.

Having gone through this for over 2 year so far, take every penny you're allowed! You're going to earn every penny of it. At least here in California, there's a set guideline based on the value of the estate including final sale of any real estate.

I took about 50% of what was allowed simply because the lawyer felt it was within reason. Realistically, it wasn't enough but it kept peace in the family. To this day they have no idea how much work was involved. I'm still dealing with the IRS over a $19. refund! It never ends!

I had no idea what I was getting into. Get an EIN number from IRS, open a checking account for the estate, move his money into it, decide where to park extra cash for a year, do his taxes, chase down the various life insurance policies, clean out the house, distribute the possessions, decide what to do with what nobody wanted, contract with a realtor, deal with contractors to ready the house for sale, sell the house, appraise and sell his coin collection, wait a year to distribute the cash, prepare the accounting of the estate for the county (to the penny), etc., etc. It adds up!

I appreciate the many comments that have been posted. I am glad to help my parents with their care and maintenance. I simply have my mother pay for the groceries, service people and regular expenses. I don't and wouldn't consider charging for that time spent. Unfortunately it has contributed to curtailing my retirement traveling (Covid didn't help either).
That being said, the time I spend with their estate doing taxes, tracking down and filing the myrad of forms/signatures/mailings and dealing with less than helpful people at brokerages/banks/insurance agencies has been going on for 2 years. Probably 250 hours minimum if I guessed at it. My parents surprised me with being the executor and the estate has about 30 separate accounts at various brokerages/banks/insurance & annuities. With my mother still alive it has been a good amount of work. Trying to be fair but the extra time with the estate feels like it is work related to being an executor. Just trying to figure what the estate should be paying.

My parents surprised me with being the executor and the estate has about 30 separate accounts at various brokerages/banks/insurance & annuities.

30 accounts is crazy. I would optimize while your mother is alive. Would you ever consider paying for help with things like with estate taxes?

When I handled my parents estate, the attorney told me to keep track of the hours I spent doing tasks for the estate. He also said I shouldn't charge what an attorney did (he charged $500 an hour) but maybe a few hundred an hour. I realized I actually spent less time doing things, and more time thinking and worrying about what I did.

In the long run, I did not charge the estate anything. It would have impacted what my sister and I received much less than the grandchildren. I'm happy with my decision, but I did not make the decision until the end of the process.

If one is executor for an estate to which you are also an heir, why would you charge a fee? It takes from the inheritance, and you have to report the fee as earned income and pay taxes on it?

I handled my father’s estate with help from a local attorney and it never occurred to me to charge anything. I was in the 28% tax bracket at the time.

Depends on how many heirs and how many accounts eh?

How about 20 heirs along with the 30 accounts?

30 accounts is crazy. I would optimize while your mother is alive. Would you ever consider paying for help with things like with estate taxes?

It is crazy. 14 different bank accounts/CD/Annuities and Life insurances, 40 stock holdings with 8 different brokerages. I've consolidated the bank accounts/CD/ annuities & life insurance down to 6. The problem with the stock holdings is the LT capital gains if I sell them. Got all of them owned by their trust or with trust as benificiary.

If one is executor for an estate to which you are also an heir, why would you charge a fee? It takes from the inheritance, and you have to report the fee as earned income and pay taxes on it?

I handled my father’s estate with help from a local attorney and it never occurred to me to charge anything. I was in the 28% tax bracket at the time.

Thanks for the comment. Initially I didn't either but I've heard the argument for both sides and both my mother and siblings have mentioned the effort that has been required. My father left a number of things undone with their estate and my mother was not in the loop. Lot of trips to banks/medallion signatures and time on phone with brokerages & life insurance groups as well as trips to mail, etc.

Over the past 15 years I have served as guardian and executor for my grandmother and for a great-aunt and also managing mother's finances which includes 2 different trusts and two different tax returns annually

I have never requested any compensation for any of this... I consider it a labor of love and payback for the good start in life that my family provided to me.

However, in both cases the estate beneficiaries and insisted that I be compensated but in each case it was only a couple thousand.

Luckily, I'm wealthy enough that I don't need the money. I think family members appreciate my efforts and that's good enough for me.

It is crazy. 14 different bank accounts/CD/Annuities and Life insurances, 40 stock holdings with 8 different brokerages. I've consolidated the bank accounts/CD/ annuities & life insurance down to 6. The problem with the stock holdings is the LT capital gains if I sell them. ...
Can't you transfer the stocks in kind to just a few accounts, maybe just one? No realized gains if you transfer in kind.

I was the executor and POA for my mother and her moderate estate. I retired two years early to help care for her and take her to her numerous doctor appointments and hospital stays. She had a will and I had helped her organize her finances several years in advance.
Her estate wasn’t complex except for the five timeshares (two in Mexico, one in SF, one in WA state and one Branson, MO.). She also had a “points system vacation program” I had to close and transfer points to one of my sisters. My siblings and I were not interested in inheriting the actual timeshares, so I had to figure out how to get rid of them. Charities were not interested, so I had to work with each company to take back the timeshares. Washington was not difficult as that is our home state and they were willing to work with me for a fee and the probate process. Mexico took a few months, but wasn’t too difficult once I found someone that spoke English and would return my calls and follow up on the legal paperwork. I had to file probate in CA and MO for the other two timeshares. This took time, a lot of research and effort. Our attorney would not help since it was out of state. The SF timeshare took time but went through eventually. The MO timeshare was the most difficult to deal with. It took well over a year. They kept losing documentation and would pass me off to other state/county contacts and I would have to start over. There were many days I would cry in frustration as I felt responsible to close these out and not incur additional maintenance fees. I kept meticulous notes and a spreadsheet of all expenses that I would send monthly to my family. Eventually the estate closed and I was able to distribute the remaining $. One sister insisted I be paid as her husband had just recently been through a similar ordeal with closing his father’s estate. I made sure my other siblings were in agreement. Only one sister hesitated, but she she relented. The fee was less than 1% of the remainder of the estate at closing.
Please don’t leave timeshares in your estate! They are nasty.

As others have said, the statutory executor fee differs by state. If you hear "X percent," then ask "X percent of what?"

In some states, it's X percent of the estate's value. But in Texas, for example, the statutory fee is "five percent commission on all amounts that the executor or administrator actually receives or pays out in cash in the administration of the estate." The statute also provides that the compensation "may not exceed, in the aggregate, more than five percent of the gross fair market value of the estate."

https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/ES/htm/ES.352.htm

That means, basically, five percent of the checks the executor writes (disbursements) and five percent of the deposits he makes (receipts), and by statute doesn't include life insurance proceeds, cash distributions to heirs, or cash on hand in a bank.

But get this. I just googled

texas executor commission

https://www.google.com/search?q=texas+executor+compensation

The "featured snippet" at the top of the search results is this:

According to the Estates Code, an executor in Texas is entitled to up to 5% of the estate's total financial transactions. For Example: If an executor has to settle an estate worth $250,000 - if they do their duties correctly, and honestly are entitled up to $12,500 as compensation for administering the estate. [bolding in original]
They got the "total financial transactions" kind of right, but then give a number that is 5% of the total estate. Oh, but it says "up to." Which technically is correct, but because of the structure, very few (maybe even zero?) estates will result in an executor commission of 5% of the total estate.

So I went to the actual website: https://www.clearestate.com/en-us/blog/executor-fees-texas

It does warn that the compensation "does not include certain estate assets" but doesn't ever give any number other than the 5% of the total estate. And this is google's top result and the snippet is probably the only thing most people will read.

Okay, so let's go to the second result. (I'm skipping google's Q&A because I just can't with the Q&A.) The second result is a Houston law firm's website: https://houston-probate-law.com/how-much-can-an-executor-in-texas-be-paid/

They do a decent job of explaining it, and actually include a calculation:

A Texas executor can charge up to 5% of the estate’s total financial transactions (all amounts the executor actually receives or pays out in cash in the administration of the estate), according to Texas Estates Code. For example, if the value of all estate assets was $200,000, and the executor actually paid out or received $18,000 in cash (all within 120 days of appointment), the maximum fee that could be charged would be $900 ($18K x 5%).
Correct. HOWEVER, if you continue scrolling down the page, there are "Related Questions." These are the first two:

How much can an executor pay themselves in Texas?

In Texas, an executor is allowed to pay themselves at a rate of 5% of the value of the estate.

What is a reasonable executor fee in Texas?

A reasonable executor fee in Texas is typically 5% of the probate estate’s value.[bolding in original]
The hell? And it gets worse. This is at the end:

Executor Hourly Rate / Compensation Calculator

The Texas State Law Library has compiled an executor hourly rate calculator. In order to use the calculator, you must identify which county the will is being probated in and enter the terms of the will. You can use this executor hourly rate calculator to determine how much an executor can make in Texas.
I didn't see it on the State Law Library's website, so I called and a guy who's been there for 10 years says he's never heard of such a thing. I don't doubt him, because under the statute, executors don't have an hourly rate, the county where the will is probated has nothing to do with the executor's compensation, nor do the terms of the will.

Okay, let's go to the third google result: https://www.estateexec.com/Docs/Compensation?state_abbrev=TX

It starts out nice and clear:

In Texas, an executor is entitled to 5% of all amounts the executor actually receives or pays out in cash in the administration of the estate, not to exceed 5% of the estate gross value. [bolding in original]
And goes on to give an example:

So for example, a Texas estate with a gross value of $600K at death, with $100K in cash, that incurs $25K in estate expenses, would generate $26,250 in executor commissions (see calculator below).
No it wouldn't. It doesn't matter what the gross value of the estate is, or how much cash it has (except to operate as a ceiling on the compensation). I assume the "$25K in estate expenses" is the cash paid out by the executor in the course of administering the estate, and 5% of that is $1,312.50. Not $26,250.

So I tried to use the calculator and the types of numbers it calls for aren't the same as the types of numbers in the example. But I was able to make some inferences to make it work. The gross estate is $600,000; clear enough. The calculator asks for "qualified assets." Hmm. Maybe gross estate ($600,000) minus the $100,000 in cash (since executors don't get 5% of cash on hand), means $500,000 in qualified assets.

And then $0 in "estate income." Put the $25,000 of "expenses" in the "payments" field on the calculator, and $0 in "Business Mgmt." If I do that, I get $26,250 in executor fee; they're using 5% of the "qualified assets" plus 5% of the "expenses." That's wrong.

Obviously...beware of what you read on the internet.

I was the executor for my DM a few years ago. Her estate was a bit less than $500,000. I had 2 younger sisters who were also beneficiaries as well as myself. My DM had dementia the last few years and because I was retired and the sisters worked, they agreed to let me move her near me (2000 miles away).

They saw how difficult the whole process was for me and agreed long before she died that they would contribute something for my efforts after the estate settled. No agreement on the amount was predetermined. Since I was financially in better shape than they were, I wasn't overly concerned about any payment. It ended up each gave me about $2000 which was fine.

Last edited:
Fees - estate executor

In the past two years, I served as executor for my dear mother-in-laws estate as well as my dear mother's. Each had multiple siblings with various levels of involvement in care taking and other duties pre and post their passing. The estate attorneys said a normal fee would be in the range of 1 to 1.5% of estate value. In my situation, I decided not to take a fee for either estate because I felt it would help with the ability to settle things amicably and quickly. However, in the notification process to beneficiaries and heirs, I let them know that I would not be taking a fee unless settlement of the estate were contested and become overly complicated and lengthy. There is nothing wrong with receiving a fee as executor as it does take some time to gather all the info, coordinate and communicate. But in my case, I didn't want to.

While I appreciate those who have done the work for free, I’m not one of them. I’ll spare you the details of why my situation is complicated. But I will say my sister has asked me to keep the estate’s trust open going on 4 years. While I took my full distribution a year after my mom’s passing, so I have no qualms about a small management fee, along with an add-on for the time spent filing taxes.

Best regards,
Chris

If you mother is competent, she could weight in now and tell the others she feels you should get “x” for services and/or executor fee (if she agrees). My mother did that on a major business matter (selling the house) and that ended any discussion. I doubt I would mention it after she passes unless a sibling does. From you post, it seems your siblings are reasonable. You obviously have a right to direct expenses and a reasonable fee if you so choose (I did not). However, the estate appears a tad complex. I probably would have taken something for my time in your case.

During her last 7 years, I took care of anything mother needed. My sister lives 500 miles away. We had a credit card for mother’s needs (you might consider that) which only I used. So, I never had to be reimbursed. My sister could "analyze" me from the Statement! I considered myself fortunate to be close to mother those last years. Charging for services never crossed my mind.

I had promised mother I would not let estate matters get between us and I didn’t (although, it took interesting chats to get over a couple humps!).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom