Join Early Retirement Today

Estimated Income Tax
Old 11-12-2014, 08:43 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Estimated Income Tax

This is going to be a bit of a goofy year in terms of federal income tax.

I retired 6/1/14 and had the proper amount of income tax withheld on all salary, bonuses, and paid out benefits.

But the dividends and expected capital gains distributions on my after-tax portfolio are going to be substantial this year, so much so that it looks like I will be in an under-payment penalty situation when I complete my federal tax return for 2014 compared to income/withholding for 2013.

The brunt of the impact will be later next month when Vanguard distributes capital gains on Wellesley and Wellington. Should I make an "estimated" tax payment? If so, when should I do that?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2014, 08:51 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yes, make an estimated tax payment by Jan 15 2015 for income you got in the 4Q. You may have to fill out a form (2210?) to show why your payments were uneven, by showing when the income was realized.

Publication 505 (2014), Tax Withholding and Estimated Tax

IRS e-pay is easy to use. Your state may have an e-pay system as well. Never mind, I see you are in Austin, with no state income tax in TX, but I leave it as a reminder to others to not ignore state taxes.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 09:32 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

As long as you paid more taxes than you paid last year, or owe less than $1,000, there is no penalty. Since you retired, you probably paid quite a bit less.

I up my withholding so I do not have to pay estimated tax. I currently pay an additional $3,000 per month in federal taxes, and earlier in the year it was a bit less.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 09:46 AM   #4

Looks like I'm good thru 8/31, the end of the third reporting period; had a sufficient amount of withholding while working to cover all income including 1st/2nd quarter dividends from after-tax portfolio.

So according to the info RunningBum linked to, I'll be okay if I make an estimated payment by 1/15/15 for the fourth reporting period 9/1-12/31.

Look like my 4th period to date and estimated dividends/cap gains distributions next month will result in an additional $40K of income. Ran all of this thru TaxCaster and it works out to another $9K or so in federal income tax.

Dang.

Guess I'll look forward to making that $9K payment in January after all of the final numbers come in.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:11 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Relax. This is really no big deal.

You can buy a copy of TurboTax around Thanksgiving and fill out your 2014 tax return as best you can with the expected amounts of year-end distributions. It will be a piece of cake. TT will tell you if you have had enough tax withheld and the amount that you might owe. It will even figure out if you would have to pay a penalty if you don't make that estimated tax payment by 1/15/2015.

I do this every year. It's easy and also helps with other year-end tax planning such as amounts to donate to charity to avoid extra taxes, amounts to convert to Roth IRAs, and so on. It's all part of being a citizen of the USA. It makes you feel good to stiff the IRS out of the taxes you aren't paying.

And I would only use TaxCaster before Thanksgiving. One needs a real 2014 tax software for the details and real money. So use TurboTax from Thanksgiving onwards.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:14 AM   #6

LOL! Thanks.