Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Estimating Future Dividends / Dividend Growth Rate
Old 07-14-2018, 07:13 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Estimating Future Dividends / Dividend Growth Rate

I’m trying to estimate future dividend payments of my primarily individual blue-chip stock portfolio. I currently hold JPM, WFC, V, MA, PM, MO, RTN, LMT, PEP, KHC, BP, XOM, JNJ, UNP, HON, and VFIAX in relatively equal amounts. I’m trying to determine if it’s easonable to expect dividends to increase (on average) at 7% per year / double over a 10 year period. I’ve tried back-testing and looking at dividends of my positions 10 years ago and it seems 7% growth is a reasonable expectation but I’m not sure if the last 10 years are the norm or an anomaly.

Any thoughts or suggestions as to where / how I could better research this?
Snidely Whiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2018, 08:05 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sent you a PM about this.
7% does seem very reasonable.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 09:29 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Try plugging in your stocks here:

https://www.portfoliovisualizer.com/...location2_3=30

then hit the link button to share so we can analyze it. You should be able to go back pretty far in time.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 08:17 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Try plugging in your stocks here:

https://www.portfoliovisualizer.com/...location2_3=30

then hit the link button to share so we can analyze it. You should be able to go back pretty far in time.

-ERD50
ERD50,

I’m dumbfounded. Thank you for the link to that site. I can’t believe I haven’t come across that before now. Very helpful. I’ll work on that in the next few days.
Snidely Whiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 09:15 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snidely Whiplash View Post
ERD50,

I’m dumbfounded. Thank you for the link to that site. I can’t believe I haven’t come across that before now. Very helpful. I’ll work on that in the next few days.
It is a very nice tool, and I learned about it here on this forum (though I forget who posted the link).

Previously, I had been using this tool for total return, as most charts only provide NAV. I might have learned about it here as well, I don't recall:

PerfCharts | Free Charts | StockCharts.com

The stockcharts tool makes it easy to look at various start-stop dates dynamically with the 'scrub bar', and the portfoliobacktest tool is great for including regular credit/debits to simulate accumulation and draw-down phases. I keep them both bookmarked.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote