Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Estimating future federal income taxes
Old 12-31-2021, 12:08 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Estimating future federal income taxes

Hi -

I am constructing an Excel spreadsheet in order to estimate/guestimate future federal income taxes based on my estimated income.

As a starting point, I could use tax year 2022 brackets and the standard deduction amounts since they are known, and then adjust them by some amount or proportion for each year in the future. However, it’s not clear to me by what amount to adjust/increase them.

Clearly, this exercise is more guesswork than science because no one knows this information with certainty, but I’d like to implement something that’s seemingly reasonable.

I do understand that the current tax brackets are scheduled to revert in 2026 unless Congress makes a change – which of course, is certainly possible. Perhaps this is a foolhardy endeavor, but that’s never stopped me in the past.

So….I am seeking your guidance or suggestions. What have you done?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and Happy New Year!
Slowgowing is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2021, 12:15 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Dinkytown.net has a great, free 1040 calculator. I use that and it takes out a lot of the guess work. Though estimating taxes beyond a year or two is a scientific wild a*s guess at best.

https://www.dinkytown.net/java/1040-tax-calculator.html
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 01:37 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

What is the point of doing this beyond next year, that a rough estimate couldn't handle? Your income is only an estimate anyway. I'd just look at past increases in the brackets and extrapolate.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 02:03 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

In my long term model I increase brackets and the standard deduction by 2% annually... the Fed's stated inflation target.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 02:26 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
In my long term model I increase brackets and the standard deduction by 2% annually... the Fed's stated inflation target.
Same here. I use 2%. If you dig around online, you can find a table of all the historical percentage increases for the brackets and standard deductions. IIRC, it was right around 2% average, and not particularly volatile. So seemed like a good number for long-range modeling.
Old 12-31-2021, 05:20 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I use my most current year's H & R Block tax program and create a separate file called "2022 Mock Tax Return". Then I carry over all the most recent data and tweak it according to what I expect to change. Then I play with how much stock to sell and from where etc.... It usually is reasonably accurate for my purposes. Plus it's cheap!
sheldon cornped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 05:39 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Finger in the air and an quick educated guess will probably be as valid as some spreadsheet that you spend hours agonizing over.

Don't sweat the small stuff. Trust your judgement. Not everything has to be spreadsheet driven to be moderately accurate.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 05:49 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
Finger in the air and an quick educated guess will probably be as valid as some spreadsheet that you spend hours agonizing over.

Don't sweat the small stuff. Trust your judgement. Not everything has to be spreadsheet driven to be moderately accurate.
+1 Looking backward, there was no way I could predict the last couple of years, tax wise.

Plan for the year ahead. Beyond that, good luck.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 08:32 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowgowing View Post
I am constructing an Excel spreadsheet in order to estimate/guestimate future federal income taxes based on my estimated income.
A lot of my money is in taxable, so for this exercise I'd also have to estimate future returns of the stock market! And inflation rates to estimate dividends.

In the past tax rates have been higher, and debt lower. My naive guess would be higher tax rates in the future, to pay down debt. But while the U.S. has the most national debt, it's also the highest GDP. Divide them, and the U.S. isn't even in the top 20. (Sort by the "% of GDP" column)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._external_debt

So you could look at how Europe is handling increasing debt. You might have heard about Greece (298% GDP) in the news, but did you know the UK is worse off, with debt 3.45x it's GDP? The strongest economy in Europe, Germany, has debt equal to 165% of it's GDP. If you keep scrolling, you'll find the U.S. at 102% of GDP. So that's where I'd look to predict future taxes - other countries with worse debt / GDP ratios than the U.S.
OverThinkMuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 08:33 AM   #10
Dryer sheet wannabe

Thanks for your thoughts/responses.

Completely agree that estimating future taxes beyond a year or two is guesswork, and I'm perfectly happy with a ballpark, WAG, or whatever beyond 2022.

I like pb4uski's and Cobra9777's idea of just applying a 2% increase -- I'm moving forward with that. Thank you.
Slowgowing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 12:59 PM   #11

If you build your own federal tax estimator as I did, use https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/SUUR0000SA0 to inflate the tax brackets. The actual inflator for 2022 would be the average of the index values from Sept 2020 to August 2021 divided by the average of the index values from Sept 2019 to Aug. 2020. The tax bracket values are rounded down to $50.

Make your best guess for future values of SUUR0000SA0, which is Chained Consumer Price Index for All Urban Consumers: All Items in U.S. City Average. In the past, I used the average of the previous 10 years. With the current inflation spike, who knows.
Old 01-01-2022, 01:41 PM   #12

Since its already known that current rates are set to expire in 2026, you might incorporate that info.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 02:31 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Maybe I'm missing something, but why inflate the tax brackets? Why not just do everything in today's $?

I did a gut-check spreadsheet a while back, kept everything in today's $, and deflated SS by 3% a year. Assume investments just keep up with inflation for simplicity and a 'bad case' outlook.

Of course, as mentioned, the actual brackets and rates may change beyond what is known about the sunset numbers, so that's uncharted territory. Probably safe to assume increases for most of us though.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 06:01 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

I agree with ERD50. But if you must, maybe Retiree Portfolio Model spreadsheet may give you some guidance as an example of handling future taxes.
oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 09:58 PM   #15

I have a spreadsheet, updated annually, that projects my AGI for the next several years.
But I don't try to project income taxes at all...
TheWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 10:50 PM   #16

I do have several Excel spreadsheets/books including one for income tax projections for the next few years. I set up each sheet as a year, using published irs brackets and estimated future increases at 2%. This exercise is for figuring out tax withholding for SS, RMD, Annuities as well as making pre-payment of taxes. For instance, from my estimates, we owe $3K with our upcoming returns. For tax year 2022, I will need to make a $10K pre-payment when one investment instrument matures next year. This is in addition to withholding 20 percent from RMD etc..
RetiredHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 02:07 AM   #17

When I use calculators or do my own modeling, I ignore inflation adjustments and just lower expected returns so everything is in current dollars.
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 06:37 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
...why inflate the tax brackets? Why not just do everything in today's $?...
I live in a world of nominal dollars... past, present, and future. So that's the world I model in my spreadsheets. Your world may vary.
Old 01-02-2022, 10:56 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I have had a number of years where I had to pay considerably more income tax than I estimated.

Those were GREAT income years. I was very pleased that my estimate was out to lunch....as was my income f'cast.
Old 01-02-2022, 10:56 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I have had a number of years where I had to pay considerably more income tax than I estimated.

Those were GREAT income years. I was very pleased that my estimate was out to lunch....as was my income f'cast.

I do not mind paying income tax....it means I am realizing income.