Estimating university costs

Thanks for the comments, everyone.

Re the question of whether or not to pay for school, it would be interesting to see who here (of those who went to college anyway) had their parents pay vs. paid on their own. It would be most interesting to see how that shifts with age, since it seems to be more common now than 20 and certainly 40+ years ago.

In my family its was considered an obligation. In fact, even my mother's father (the first college graduate in my lineage, MIT class of '28 ) paid for his kids' education in the 50s and 60s, when it was probably quite unusual to do so.

My parents paid for my two sisters and me in the 80s (which probably pretty much wiped out their savings). In the quiet suburb of Rochester where I lived it was pretty typical for people to pay for their kids schooling if they could afford it.

Of course I knew kids in college that pissed away their opportunity, dropping out in the first year and wasting their parents money. And of course, this would almost certainly never happen if the kid was paying for it himself. Hopefully by the time my kid (should he come to be) is 17-18 I'd have pretty good insight into his personality and would know how much of a risk that would be.

Re 529 plans, I've heard mixed things about them, I guess much depends on your states plans and its restrictions. I'll certainly research them more over the next few months and no doubt I'll be posting my questions here.

My actual approach will be to set aside an equivalent amount of iBonds (which I already own) for this, taking into account that the iBonds grow at a rate higher than inflation. Assuming that my iBonds grow at inflation +1.2%, I could set aside around $235,000 worth.

Interesting coincidence - I just was looking at NYS' 529 plan, and the maximum balance it can have and still be eligible for contributions is exactly $235,000. I wonder if someone bureaucrat did the same math I just did? ;)

I'm 46 and paid for my own college on my own. I had a full tuition academic scholarship + $500/yr, so it was just room and board after I moved out after the first year.

I think they paid for the first year of my older brother's tuition, after that he was on his own too.

DD's mother and I will be covering the cost of a public school. We'll have to talk if she winds up at a private school.

Back
Top Bottom