Join Early Retirement Today

Et Tu, Bloomberg?
Old 05-03-2018, 04:46 PM   #1
Administrator

Et Tu, Bloomberg?

Looks like Bloomberg has gone subscription. They did a revamp of the website and the editor announced new subscription packages, but I didn’t realize that applied even to their basic news page. The minimum subscription is $10 per month.

I like Bloomberg news and prefer subscription over advertiser driven, but not sure I want to give up another for this. Time to reassess (again).
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2018, 05:32 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Bloomberg isn't my cup of tea, but it looks like they do have limited free access:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...mberg-redesign

Quote:
Our paywall will be a metered one. At launch, you can view 10 articles each month at no charge
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Et Tu, Bloomberg?
Old 05-03-2018, 08:52 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Et Tu, Bloomberg?

That's too bad I really like Bloomberg and VERIZON just deleted them from their TV lineup. Fortunately we have a local Bloomberg radio station. I think Bloomberg radio is not available on any of the free radio streams.
EDIT: Looks like 34.99/mo after a 6 mo trial for 9.99/mo. Yikes!
Old 05-04-2018, 07:02 AM   #4

I'm not a huge fan of the subscription model, but I do understand the reasoning.

I think the problem is they don't understand that the world has changed.

It used to be people subscribed to one or two newspapers, and of course free OTA TV. So the price of a monthly newspaper subscription could be fairly substantial.

Now everyone is accustomed to getting news from many sources. Paying $35 a month each to multiple different news outlets just isn't going to work for most people.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 07:09 AM   #5

Can you get around the "X number of free articles/month" by using the "incognito" feature of your browser (that works for the NY Times, which limits even registered users to 5 free articles/month)
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 07:25 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Nickle and dimed into poverty. I subscribed the the NYT about a year ago. What got me to join were the user comments to the articles that I found interesting. Over the past 3 or 4 months I've noticed less and less articles had user comments, so I decided to pull the plug and cancel my subscription. Unlike other news source comments sections, the Times reads every comment before allowing it to be posted. Of course, this led to a great, mature comment section where you didn't get all that childish jibberish I've gotten so used to.

Maybe they've cut back on comment reviewers to save a nickle. Let's see, now that I've cancelled, I have one right here in my pocket....

BTW, the digital-only subscription is truly a bargain at $4/month for students. I used my daughter's college email to qualify. She got some use out of it too, but very limited.

Lazy Portfolio Investor:
AA: 55% Stocks
35% Bonds
10% Cash
NanoSour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 07:26 AM   #7

I don't read bloomberg articles, but I do sometimes watch their TV coverage. If it's no longer available via their web site, it can be streamed from youtube.

If they shut that down, then I won't be consuming bloomberg content anymore; I'm not going to pay for it.
mrfeh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 07:55 AM   #8

you can watch Bloomberg tv in 30 minutes increments with an incognito or inprivate window. I have 2 tabs and can start watching the second one after about 29 minutes and get another 30 minutes each time.
wmc1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 08:13 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I watched Bloomberg some when I was a cordcutter. But mainly watched the Nightly Business report on PBS for my daily recap. Got to where I watched very little of Bloomberg. Plenty of business news on the internet. And of course if it's on the net......you know it's true.
Old 05-04-2018, 08:25 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I'm not a huge fan of the subscription model, but I do understand the reasoning.

I think the problem is they don't understand that the world has changed.

It used to be people subscribed to one or two newspapers, and of course free OTA TV. So the price of a monthly newspaper subscription could be fairly substantial.

Now everyone is accustomed to getting news from many sources. Paying $35 a month each to multiple different news outlets just isn't going to work for most people.
Exactly. I would gladly pay 35/mo to consume all the possible subscription streams that I find valuable....none of them individually is worth anywhere near $35. There's a limit to how much I can consume. I think a lot of these still have have ads, anyway.
Old 05-04-2018, 10:14 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Looks like Bloomberg has gone subscription. They did a revamp of the website and the editor announced new subscription packages, but I didn’t realize that applied even to their basic news page. The minimum subscription is $10 per month.

I like Bloomberg news and prefer subscription over advertiser driven, but not sure I want to give up another for this. Time to reassess (again).
The $10/mo only applies for 6 months. Then it goes to $35 which is not acceptable to me.

I like Bloomberg a lot. It has interesting business news and even good bond market comments.

I'm considering switching my $10/mo NY Times to Bloomberg. Our local paper covers several NY Times articles. I'm Bloomberg will continue somehow to offer $10/mo as they find poor acceptance at the $35 level.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 10:15 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
Can you get around the "X number of free articles/month" by using the "incognito" feature of your browser (that works for the NY Times, which limits even registered users to 5 free articles/month)
Thanks for the tip!
jetpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 10:16 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmc1000 View Post
you can watch Bloomberg tv in 30 minutes increments with an incognito or inprivate window. I have 2 tabs and can start watching the second one after about 29 minutes and get another 30 minutes each time.
Firefox "New Private Window" seems to work on Bloomberg. But I haven't tried it a lot yet.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 02:04 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

"Et Tu, Bloomberg?"

Reminds me of this song, "Mi Manchi" (I miss you), sung by Andrea Bocelli.

The lyrics has this phrase "E tu, e tu", which is in Italian, spelled a bit differently than the French words above but with the same meaning.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 02:23 PM   #15
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
The $10/mo only applies for 6 months. Then it goes to $35 which is not acceptable to me.

I like Bloomberg a lot. It has interesting business news and even good bond market comments.

I'm considering switching my $10/mo NY Times to Bloomberg. Our local paper covers several NY Times articles. I'm Bloomberg will continue somehow to offer $10/mo as they find poor acceptance at the $35 level.
Thanks. I didn't look past the sign-up price. Like you, at $10 I would consider giving it a go, but not $35. Private browsing seems to work, it doesn't count against the "10 free per month" quota and every new private browser window starts fresh. Still, it's not a practical way to read news.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 03:51 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
I go one step farther and set the browser to delete all cookies at close. I close the browser frequently, like whenever I start something different. This kills a lot of trackers, including many of the "X number free" counters.

I do have some sites listed as "exceptions" (sort of a "white list.") This forum, for example. That way the browser remembers my account when I come back. I specifically don't do that with bank and credit card sites. No way I want anyone who might get my laptop to be able to log on as me.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 04:03 PM   #17

Who care's. We're a bunch of multimillionaires that would never pay for a subscription. All the news is free.
Old 05-05-2018, 10:57 AM   #18

Bloomberg TV was less sensational than CNBC but I got rid of both when cable was cancelled. It was decent business and investment news.
I recently dropped their online feed to Facebook as it was overly political and very biased.