ETF Investment Feedback --

lar717

Confused about dryer sheets
Looking into ETF Investing -

What firm do you use to buy/sell into ETF's?

Positive experiences with ETF's?

Negative experiences with ETF's?

Suggestion on what ETF's to get into now?

Thanks for information!

Looking into ETF Investing -

Positive experiences with ETF's?

Negative experiences with ETF's?

Thanks for information!
Schwab and Ameriprise
Easy to research, buy (and eventually sell). Just like any other stock
No negative experiences to date
I use to buy market indices and funds (VTI, AGG, VEU, DVY) instead of mutual funds at this time. I am staying away from too narrow of indices.
Hope this helps.

I use etrade, but any discount broker will do.

Wondering which ETF to buy might be the wrong way to approach it. Personally, I think its better to come up with a top-down asset allocation strategy and then look for the best vehicle for each component of that strategy. In some cases it may be an ETF, in other a mutual fund. In my case I use ETFs for buying segments of the US market (e.g. Large cap value, small cap market, etc.), for foreign broad-based indices, and for some specialty items such as gold.

In general, I have found that if Vanguard has an ETF in the asset class it is the least expensive option available. They were late to the game though and still have limited options. Because of that I tend to have a lot of iShares as well.

The two best performing ETFs I've had as of late are GLD (which is a proxy for investing in gold) and FXI, which is a proxy for the Chinese market. I'm not sure if I'd recommend buying them today, though, unless it was slowly building a position.

The only downside I have found with some ETFs is low trading volume. Generally speaking you can avoid problems by using limit (no market) orders.

If you are looking to invest large amounts in a single transaction, ETF's are probably the lowest cost option. If you are going to be making periodic smaller contributions, I would go with no load index mutual funds (Vanguard is good)

Scottrade
If you buy Vanguard ETF's you can compare the costs involved at their website for ETF vs their corresponding Vanguard MF. If you plan to periodically invest the MF starts off cheaper, then there is an amount at which you break even and then the cost advantage goes to the ETF at higher $ amounts.

I second Maurice's advice. I use ETF's to meet my target asset allocation, I don't chase "hot" ETF's...

DD

All ETF's Are Not Created Equal

Wide variation in expenses and as mentioned earlier in this string many ETF are getting very narrow in scope - thus risk!

If you have a specific need to address in your asset allocation or portfolio or want to go long or short on many commodities without the hassle of futures contracts, then there are some ETF's out there for you.

A good site to research ETF's is ETFConnect - Home

RJS

Vanguard

Is this a market timing question? Are you planning to use ETFs for AA? If so, consider the following ETFs for your asset allocation:

Equity:
Total Stock Market ETF VTI
FTSE All-World ex-US ETF VEU
Emerging Mkts ETF VWO

Fixed-Income:
Total Bond Market ETF BND

Others:
REIT ETF VNQ
Energy ETF VDE
streetTRACKS Gold Shares ETF. GLD
PowerShares Listed Private Equity. PSP
iPath DJ AIG Commodity ETN. DJP

A dated guide to ETF investing: ETF Investment guide - Seeking Alpha

Buy/sell ETFs with WellsFargo, free trades, no commissions

No negatives even with low trading volume (e.g. GWX) trades as long as you use Level II quotes and limit orders.

ETFs to get into now: VTI, SPY, MDY, IWN, IWM, VBR, VEU, EFA, EFV, PID, DLS, GWX, EEM, VWO, VNQ, TIP

Back
Top Bottom