Excellent article on gold

kevink

Full time employment: Posting here.
With gold in the news of late due to recent price spikes and notorious gold hater Warren Buffet's recent major investment in a gold mining company I wanted to share this new post on the Portfolio Charts sight.

There's so much misinformation and strong but often uninformed opinion about the controversial metal out there and this is certainly the most helpful and balanced writing I've read about gold in many years.

https://portfoliocharts.com/2020/08/21/metal-money-and-the-measurable-value-of-gold/

We don't really know that "Buffett" invested in Barrick - just like it was not Buffett who invested in Apple. It was one of his lieutenants, Todd Combs and/or Ted Weschler. For decades, Buffett was very public about the fact he didn't understand technology and would never invest in it. I would wager that because of Buffett's long history of detesting gold, it was in fact Weschler or Combs who made the investment.

With gold in the news of late due to recent price spikes and notorious gold hater Warren Buffet's recent major investment in a gold mining company I wanted to share this new post on the Portfolio Charts sight.

There's so much misinformation and strong but often uninformed opinion about the controversial metal out there and this is certainly the most helpful and balanced writing I've read about gold in many years.

https://portfoliocharts.com/2020/08/21/metal-money-and-the-measurable-value-of-gold/

It does indeed seem balanced. I think it backed up my general thinking on owning a small amount within the Port. I wouldn't argue with anyone who disagrees.

The idea of gold as a hedge against inflation (certainly in the short to medium term) has never been MY thing. Having said that, I DO more-or-less subscribe to the old adage that "an ounce of gold will always buy a man's suit of clothes." Heh, heh, maybe that's a leisure suit or maybe a nice shark-skin 3-piece with appropriate accessories. All depends what 'era' one is living.

No opinion on the Buffett connection so YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom