Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-05-2017, 04:17 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I really think Nissans have timing chains. When they go out, they have chains, sprockets, tension guides that may need replaced. And while there in there, the water pump kit will be replaced. It is very labor intensive.

An engine famous for excessive valve train failure is!the GM 3.6 engine used in many, many different vehicles--certain model years. My son has one fail in a Camaro. They essentially have to spend 2 days half disassembling the engine. His wife got "dealer employee price' and it still cost them $2300. With hundreds of thousands of failures at 50-60k miles, GM dropped the warranty back to 36k miles.And still won't admit there is a problem.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2017, 04:18 PM   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
Remember when you had to check the level of fluid in the battery as well? Of course more and more vehicles track your drivng and tell you when to change the oil, i.e. an oil life meter, so for them its change oil when the car tells you to. Interestingly on my 2016 malibu with the enhanced driver info center, you can turn on a digital oil pressure gauge, as well as a coolant temp and a voltage (which also came on my 2011 cruze).
All lead-acid batteries are vented. You really should "periodically" check the water level and add distilled water as appropriate. But today's batteries don't seem to last more than 2 - 3 years anyway. Remember when batteries had 7 year warranties? No more than 2 to 3 year warranties any more.
Old 09-05-2017, 04:45 PM   #63
Full time employment: Posting here.

If it was truly CPO (Certified Pre-owned), then it has a warranty. Of course, just saying it was a certified used car means nothing. Doesn't take much know how to certify that it is used! You really should check the fluids in a just purchased car every week until you aw confident that it is not a slow leaker/fluid user. Used Car Salesmen don't have their reputation for looking out for their customers....
Perryinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 05:05 PM   #64

Hopefully Son took pics and you've documented everything so far. Worst case scenario this might be a good one to pitch to the local news, those "shame on them" scenarios - if the dealer isn't helpful.

I think the CPO thing can have different flavors. There's pure Factory CPO (like from Nissan themselves) but some also let dealers do their own type, slightly different name. As a consumer I'd expect something like that to have more than a 30 day warranty, hope your son is combing through his paperwork today.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 05:10 PM   #65
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
Remember when you had to check the level of fluid in the battery as well? Of course more and more vehicles track your drivng and tell you when to change the oil, i.e. an oil life meter, so for them its change oil when the car tells you to. Interestingly on my 2016 malibu with the enhanced driver info center, you can turn on a digital oil pressure gauge, as well as a coolant temp and a voltage (which also came on my 2011 cruze).
oh, wow, I remember going to buy distilled water for that. thanks for the memory.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 05:12 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
All lead-acid batteries are vented. You really should "periodically" check the water level and add distilled water as appropriate. But today's batteries don't seem to last more than 2 - 3 years anyway. Remember when batteries had 7 year warranties? No more than 2 to 3 year warranties any more.
Wow, I posted before i read your post, you also beat me to it.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Old 09-05-2017, 05:19 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

One thing that I do quite often now is check tire pressure. Not so much because I am worried about perfect fuel mileage but more because we are carrying 19,200 pounds on a truck rated for 19,500 pounds maximum!

I keep those babies right at 95 psi +/- 1psi.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 05:23 PM   #68
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
One thing that I do quite often now is check tire pressure. Not so much because I am worried about perfect fuel mileage but more because we are carrying 19,200 pounds on a truck rated for 19,500 pounds maximum!

I keep those babies right at 95 psi +/- 1psi.
You have a TPMS for your truck?
Old 09-05-2017, 05:23 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Funny side note. Our new F150 4x4 came with a VRLA which is maintenance free and non-spillable. I wonder if that is a special order thing since we did buy the truck cheap new because it had a lot of wacky packages ordered on.
Old 09-05-2017, 05:26 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
You have a TPMS for your truck?
Yeah, it is called me with a ARB 12V compressor and a very long gauge.

Seriously though, I have though about adding one but was unsure if they might cause leak problems. Might be the thing to do before we set out on a long trip again.
Old 09-05-2017, 05:39 PM   #71

We have not heard back from the OP, This makes me think the dealership is breaking out the abacus , and using the new math for the repair estimate.
Old 09-05-2017, 05:53 PM   #72
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
Yeah, it is called me with a ARB 12V compressor and a very long gauge.

Seriously though, I have though about adding one but was unsure if they might cause leak problems. Might be the thing to do before we set out on a long trip again.
I added one to my RV and have been very happy with it - no leaks at all and very accurate. I really like the fact it reports both temperature and pressure, which - other than a sudden blowout - should let you see a problem developing in time to do something about it. And it makes checking pressures when you start out a snap.

As close as you are to your weight limit I think it would be money well spent.
Old 09-05-2017, 07:06 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
We have not heard back from the OP, This makes me think the dealership is breaking out the abacus , and using the new math for the repair estimate.
It's only been a day. -ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 09:28 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Well... heck... checked the Hyundai and it has a timing belt... needs to be replaced at 90K.... at 78K now...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 09:41 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
A number of new cars will say if the oil is low... so no reason to check...

The ones I'm familiar with are not intended to replace checking the dipstick. Mine would not come on until way more than 1 qt low. It was more of a failsafe.
Old 09-05-2017, 09:50 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
I run oil pressure gauges in all my vehicles too

Yeah but you could have normal pressure and low oil level so you still need to check it. By the time the level is low enough to show up on the gauge, you've probably accelerated engine wear. Less oil means less lube less cooling and remaining oil has to work harder.
Old 09-05-2017, 10:06 PM   #77
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
Yeah but you could have normal pressure and low oil level so you still need to check it. By the time the level is low enough to show up on the gauge, you've probably accelerated engine wear. Less oil means less lube less cooling and remaining oil has to work harder.
Only a small percentage of motor oil is providing a thin film of lubrication and cleaning (and other) additives at any given time. The sump capacity is actually for oil dilution, cooling and a storage of available oil and TBN (TBN is the term used for packaged additives).

You can go quite low on available oil until you starve the oil pump and that's when metal to metal contact occurs, thus causing some severe wear problems

Some performance cars have a dry sump system and all available oil used for lubrication is managed through two oil pumps (scavenger and pressure) and a separate reservoir where oil is cooled and deaerated before being sent under pressure for lubrication.

In any event, however one checks the oil, it's a good thing to do since an oil leak can occur quickly. On turbocharged cars, lubricating oil for the turbo shaft is critical and the turbo can fail quickly if it becomes starved for lubrication.
Old 09-05-2017, 10:45 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
While it's a good idea to check the oil on occasion, it would be highly unusual to run out of or get very low on oil without knowing it in a modern car. Years ago I had a nearly new AUDI leak oil after I had changed out the oil and filter. When the oil got low, the dash had warning lights flashing and even a buzzer as I recall. I immediately stopped the engine and was in a panic as it was a new car with only 1500 miles on it. But after a change of filter and fill up with oil, the car was fine and went well beyond the 160,000 miles (the point I sold it). The engine itself never required work when I owned it (just about everything else did though LOL!)
It happened to me 3 years ago on a 10 yr old car, I always carry a quart of oil in the trunk as I used to drive clunkers.
I immediately stopped the car and turned off the engine, checked the dipstick to find it super low.
I put in the whole quart, drove the mile back home and topped it up.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 05:07 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
Hey Blue collar, Op here.

for your mouth to God's ears. lol. My service "concierge" called yesterday around 3:30 to report that they just got the car into the bay. Evidently lots of drive ins after the holiday and would call first thing this morning.

Still waiting unfortunately.

again thanks for the interesting conversation. I've only had one "used" car and it actually was a hand me down from my brother, so no I've never ever checked the oil at every fill up. My nissan maxima, had a "change oil" warning light to let me know the 3000 mile mark had been hit.

I now drive a 2012 Infiniti and once again I get the oil changed regularly but do not check the oil every 1000 miles. I'm pulling out the owners manual to see what it recommends.

I'm actually hoping they throw some cash at the situation. after this experience, I've got to tell you I don't want another used car.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:15 AM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclover View Post

for your mouth to God's ears. lol. My service "concierge" called yesterday around 3:30 to report that they just got the car into the bay. Evidently lots of drive ins after the holiday and would call first thing this morning.

Still waiting unfortunately.

Hopefully, you hear from them soon. Sounds like you are at the mercy of their schedule .