Exploding car engine, what to do?

Not at all. 6,000 dollars. we paid for it outright. he's bummed because he's now looking at a car note which he was trying to avoid since he's only working pt

Sorry for asking, but what is a "car note"? I've never heard that term before.

If something like the situation happened to me, I wouldn't want to due business with the place again. Not saying that they lied or anything, but looks like they sold you a car that wasn't in such good shape to begin with since you are looking with at least a $3500 repair with them or forking over for a credit on a new car, seems like you'll be paying either way.

The other option as other mentioned is to look around for an independent place where you can get an engine for less than $3500. Of course, then this asks the question to you have to time and desire to go that route.

I really don't like having dealerships work on my car. IMO, always seems like their way or the highway.

Sorry for asking, but what is a "car note"? I've never heard that term before.

Note=monthly payment. Very common term around here....house note, car note, etc. At first I thought you were joking (e.g. you always pay cash).

Buy a rebuilt engine... not that expensive... maybe can get by with a short block and have them put on all the extras from the current engine...

Here in Houston a place that has been doing business 'forever' has a long block from about $1500 to $2000... but short block is $400 to $500... do not know the cost to have it installed...

Nissan Engine Repair Houston - Thunderbolt Transmissions

I had to make that same decision a few years back. I paid a $3,500 deductible for a brand new Honda engine (billed at 10K.) They also changed the Serpentine Belt while the engine was off.

If I was in your shoes - I'd call a couple of local repair shops and ask them to point you in a direction to get a used engine. Your only other choice is to sell the Nissan for parts.

60 days doesn't sound very Certified to me. I'd have a one on one with the General Manager of the Dealership and let him know that you are not satisfied. Ask him what other options he could come up with that could make the transaction more equitable.

Michael

Note=monthly payment. Very common term around here....house note, car note, etc. At first I thought you were joking (e.g. you always pay cash).

Thanks. Was not kidding. Have never heard the term before. I've always paid cash for car purchases.

Ok, spoke with my maintenance "concierge". Engine blown from broken piston breaking through the engine. ***sighs***

gave me two options 1) new engine for 3500 bucks installed with a 1 year warranty.
2) come in and see if they will give me a "credit" toward a new car.

He did say it was not caused by low oil, that there was oil in the car. Said the warranty was only for 2 months or 2000 miles. car was checked two days before we picked up.

not sure which way I'm going to go, definitely value any advice.

BC

Neither options seems the best as you and your son just wanted to get a decent used car for the $6000 that you paid.

If you go with option 1, hopefully, the engine replacement is the only trouble the car has in the immediate future. But that is not a guarantee.

If you go with option 2, your son ends up buying and paying for more car than he originally wanted.

I would probably go with option 1 (or find an independent repair place, if you have the time) despite feeling a bit fleeced. Then, since the car is used (and who know what else may go wrong), I'd make sure to budget for possible repair costs. In the meantime, I'd seriously think not doing business with the dealer in the future as seems to me they want their customers dependent on them as though they are the only game in town.

I always have a funny feeling dealing with car dealerships as when they try to sell a car, the red carpet is rolled out. But when you need service, end up being treated like a number.

Well, that is bad news, the engine had a catastrophic failure, so not a cheap easy fix. Engine needs new/rebuilt short block at a minimum. I would also try leaning on the dealer to give a break on a replacement engine (rebuilt will less than absolute new). Or see if they will work on a different car replacement with the costs you have already paid being used toward that different car.

If dealer negotiations do not result in a good solution, then look for independent shop and replace the engine with used. That will be least out of pocket and should be pretty quick remove and replace for hours of labor and also to get the car back on the road so son can use it.

This is where you can step in an assist you DS a little. Most 22 year olds don't press for a better result. Go to the dealer in person and be persistent about a good outcome.

You said the "warranty" was 60 days or 2000 miles..how many miles did he put on this car, if it was less then 2000 be vocal. I know technically it doesn't make a difference but at only 30 days out of warranty every little bit helps. Ask to see all the records pertaining to the car to look for possible red flags about the engine. If they won't show you get vocal about, just be persistent pleasant but persistent. A reputable dealer will want to help make this rights and not make a bad situation worse by trying to make a lot of money in the shop for the repair. They can give your DS full credit towards another vehicle fix that engine for cost and then sell it saying it has a rebuilt warranted engine, they won't come out in the hole like your DS will.

I know that some have said put in used.... I would never put in one that was not rebuilt... that is used, but not the same as an engine sitting in a junked car that you have no idea how it was used...

$3500 for a new engine seems like a really good deal

seems like the dealer would be installing it at cost?

at that price, I don't think so...do you consider retail price for the engine "cost" it should be the dealers cost for the engine and some type of break on the labor.

at that price, I don't think so...do you consider retail price for the engine "cost" it should be the dealers cost for the engine and some type of break on the labor.

Do you live near the OP? Maybe you could go with her and be her advocate. I dont think I could go in to the dealership and vocalize what you suggested without getting shown the door. Some people like yourself are more gifted at negotiation.

I know that some have said put in used.... I would never put in one that was not rebuilt... that is used, but not the same as an engine sitting in a junked car that you have no idea how it was used...

I disagree. If you know what you are looking for, a used engine from a low mileage wrecked vehicle in a salvage yard can be an excellent choice. Personally, I would rather have an engine that was assembled by the factory (ie not rebuilt) than an engine that someone rebuilt that could have used cheap Chinese parts instead of OEM and the possibility of questionable skills of the rebuilder.

Do you live near the OP? Maybe you could go with her and be her advocate. I dont think I could go in to the dealership and vocalize what you suggested without getting shown the door. Some people like yourself are more gifted at negotiation.

Why, I was raised by an English Mother who prided herself on good manners. If you don't raise your voice or act particularly PO'd it's easy to have a productive discussion. After all it isn't the dealers fault the car broke but they do have a vested income in a good solution.

When they say no or offer a bad compromise just smile and say, I was hoping for better then that.My son just bought his first vehicle and now you have the chance to make him a customer for life or have him never buy anything from you.

Why, I was raised by an English Mother who prided herself on good manners. If you don't raise your voice or act particularly PO'd it's easy to have a productive discussion. After all it isn't the dealers fault the car broke but they do have a vested income in a good solution.

When they say no or offer a bad compromise just smile and say, I was hoping for better then that.My son just bought his first vehicle and now you have the chance to make him a customer for life or have him never buy anything from you.

That is an awesome reply, one that I would not have ever though of. This is why I usually get a sour deal, and I usually get the short end of the stick.

That is an awesome reply, one that I would not have ever though of. This is why I usually get a sour deal, and I usually get the short end of the stick.

I've noticed you're a straight shooter, but you catch more flies with honey then vinegar :LOL:

I've been wrenching on my own cars now for about 50 years. Replaced a few engines and rebuilt a few over that time. I hope I know something about this by now.

Bear in mind that there is more to the out-the-door cost than the cost of the engine and the labor. It will require all new fluids /filters. This is the time to replace all drive belts and hoses etc. These are usually required to maintain any warranty on the new, rebuilt or used engine. This could easily add another 2-500 bucks. If the dealer said a "new"engine installed for $3500, And if that came with a 1 yr (or more) warranty, that seems like a great deal. At that cost, I believe that they are talking about a factory rebuilt engine, not new. Few dealers can afford to rebuild an engine in their shop.

FYI, I've never seen a dealer quote a repair price that wouldn't negotiate it by at least 10% or more, especially in a situation like the OP has.

If you are looking for the cheapest way to get back on the road, I'd suggest go to the local junkyards. Many of them will install one of their used engines cheaper than anyone around. About 3 years back I had one quote me a little over $800 for an engine and installation Total, out-the-door price. But in some cases, you get what you pay for so be mindful of that. If the engine has a timing belt, then have that changed at this time too.

I didn't see where the OP had mentioned the mileage for the Altima. if the car is very low mileage, then a rebuilt or new engine may be worth the investment. As it sits, the car is not worth much on the market. IOW, would you pay $1,000 for a 10 year old used car with a blown engine? If it has high mileage, then it may be best to replace with a used engine with a warranty. I've seen some used engines with 5 yr warranty (not including labor of course).

And don't be surprised if something else breaks soon. it is now an 10-11 year old car. Cars do last better today that they did decades ago, but they don't last forever. Even if this engine fiasco didn't happen, keeping some reserves for repairs is prudent. Stuff happens.

If you are looking for the cheapest way to get back on the road, I'd suggest go to the local junkyards. Many of them will install one of their used engines cheaper than anyone around. About 3 years back I had one quote me a little over $800 for an engine and installation Total, out-the-door price. But in some cases, you get what you pay for so be mindful of that. If the engine has a timing belt, then have that changed at this time too.

My only experience with getting items from the junk yards were J-bolt that held the spare tire cage under our very old suv. The dealer no longer stocked the item, the replacement didnt fit our car, so off to the junk yard we went. So a guy like me that knows zero about engines, how do I know if the junk yard engine is any good?

I disagree. If you know what you are looking for, a used engine from a low mileage wrecked vehicle in a salvage yard can be an excellent choice. Personally, I would rather have an engine that was assembled by the factory (ie not rebuilt) than an engine that someone rebuilt that could have used cheap Chinese parts instead of OEM and the possibility of questionable skills of the rebuilder.

Interesting point... and I can see that IF you can find one...

I know that my old boss had his Toyota SUV totaled when someone T-boned him... it had less than 2,000 miles on it... I think less than 1,000.... the engine should be find in that case...

But we are talking an OLD car... I doubt you could find an engine with less than 70,000 miles on it... I would not trust that engine.... I would rather have a rebuilt one put in.... buy from a reputable place...

There is no way to be sure. If you get to see the car before they remove the engine, you look for body damage in the rear. A car that has had no accident damage is iffy IMO. You don't always know the reason the engine is there. Sometimes they just pull he engines and put them on the rack. Some will do an out-of car power up. Regardless, the yards will usually warrant the engine but not the labor for a short period of time, just in case you get a bad one. Otherwise, you might have to pay twice for your local mechanic to put a 2nd engine in.

If the yard will install and warrant the engine for 30 days, then they should be on the hook for any extra labor if the engine is bad.

Last edited:
Update:

Spoke with dealership mechanic, Mike. Engine would be a used engine from a salvage yard. rebuilt nissan engine he said would run around 6K.

Evidently Mike passed on the situation to dealership management because I then got a call from "David" who is like a customer liaison. He said he would like to handle the case. Meet with him on Saturday, he asked could he have some time to try and work out a solution. :confused:?
I actually do have a private mechanic who owns his own shop and used to work on our cars when my husband was alive and really took care of all of them. I'm going to call him and ask his opinion on the situation and see what he says.

I don't think I'm going to a salvage yard/junk yard myself guys. thank you for the suggestion but seriously I wouldn't know a decent engine if it sat on my face and wiggled. so for all I know they would sell me some magic beans.

Dave, did ask if I was willing to get a newer car if he could work something out. I said that was an option.

I will say that the dealer at least so far seems willing to work so they won't have an unhappy customer. I'll take it for now.

Again, thank you for your suggestions. I cannot begin to tell you how much it helps. really, just voicing my frustration is helpful

Update:

Spoke with dealership mechanic, Mike. Engine would be a used engine from a salvage yard. rebuilt nissan engine he said would run around 6K.

Evidently Mike passed on the situation to dealership management because I then got a call from "David" who is like a customer liaison. He said he would like to handle the case. Meet with him on Saturday, he asked could he have some time to try and work out a solution. :confused:?
I actually do have a private mechanic who owns his own shop and used to work on our cars when my husband was alive and really took care of all of them. I'm going to call him and ask his opinion on the situation and see what he says.

I don't think I'm going to a salvage yard/junk yard myself guys. thank you for the suggestion but seriously I wouldn't know a decent engine if it sat on my face and wiggled. so for all I know they would sell me some magic beans.

Dave, did ask if I was willing to get a newer car if he could work something out. I said that was an option.

I will say that the dealer at least so far seems willing to work so they won't have an unhappy customer. I'll take it for now.

Again, thank you for your suggestions. I cannot begin to tell you how much it helps. really, just voicing my frustration is helpful

I think that is a very good approach. :) Check with your previous mechanic and see what he would do in this situation ... It does sound like the dealership is willing to work something out. Remember though, they have a natural inclination to want to make money on every sale - so don't let them take advantage of you.

Michael

Hi,

This was a Nissan from a Nissan dealership and the time and mileage were so close to the warranty period (from what I can tell) - and the issue was so catastrophic - and unusual (regardless of what this particular engine does, pistons simply don't break nor does any other common portion of the internals - rods, etc).

I would meet with them, be nice, insist on the return of all the money paid for the car - insist. If I got nowhere, I would let them know it was going to go to court. Then I would follow-through and work the internet and locals to make sure it was public - let them know all this in advance.

Pistons and internals don't break unless it was a terrible engine - why should YOU eat it?

Update:

A good idea talking to your private mechanic who owns his own shop to see what he says.

I have a brother who he and is DW bought a used car that had lots of issues right after purchase and they ended up bringing back to the dealer and ended up getting another car. They worked something out as I don't think they paid anything to have that junky car fixed but instead bought another used from that dealer. A "no harm, no foul" purchase, I guess.

Hope when you decide what action to take, and hopefully successful one for you and DS, that you keep us informed. As, you know, we will inquire :). Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom